JDSU Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oleg Khaykin
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can get out of hand if you don't speak up (in 13 reviews)

• Mostly centralized decision making by upper management (in 15 reviews)

1. "No Future"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great peers to work with. Good developers and collaboration among peers with a wealth of technical knowledge.

Cons

Poor marketing, management, and no future vision. There is no such thing as innovation unless it came from the top down. Management often ignores input and is more focused on getting the product out the door vs producing a solid product. Communication is either nonexistent or last minute. By the time you find out your team is getting a new member, it's the day of the new sprint as, "Oh, by the way..." Good luck finding out what the company direction or strategic plan is, it's often reactionary and by the time anyone knows anything it's usually too late. The code base is micro managed, outdated, and in need of a serious overhaul. Only a few "golden children" or core cadre may provide input to what little design and heaven forbid that an engineer has a suggestion as they will quickly face death by committee. Though the company strives to make management happy with a feel-good about applying Agile methodology, there is nothing agile in the engineering processes. Overall, the feeling is expect to be working heads-down as a "code monkey" squashing unnecessary bugs the whole time and hang up your engineering hat, it's not wanted or needed here.

Advice to Management

Turn around the company... Develop a solid vision, involve your people as they too have a stake in the future of the company. Communication is also key, all too often employees are left with last minute information; again involve your staff. Invest wisely in both the product and people and the company could really gain traction. Or keep on going and either expect to sell-off or go bottoms-up.

2. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Camaraderie among engineers in the face of adversity.

Cons

Frequent lay-offs. Management continually down-sizing benefits. Lack of trust in direction of executive management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers, not just those with a vested interest. Agile is one solution, but no the only solution. It is not a one size fits all.

3. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palmer Lake, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palmer Lake, CO

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Also, I have a lot of admiration, respect, and friendships with the low-level worker-bees. But the higher-ups just don't have a clue about quality.

Cons

Stress, incompetence, management that runs all over employees. I develop software. Their attitude is that "anything goes". They don't know the difference between good software and hack-ware. If it works, that's all that matters. Maintain software? What's that? I had a high-level engineer / low-level manager explicitly tell me "I don't know if this is written well or not. But we're just going to keep it as it is.". I worked mostly on two pieces of software over 3 years, and they both were hacked together junk.

Advice to Management

Nurture employees, don't beat them. Get a clue about what good software is. Get a clue about what bad software is. Know when your people are writing good and bad software.

5. "Test Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning experience. good engineer team.

Cons

Too many Manager, company has no future planning.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Mass exodus of former employees."

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked in remote office so didn't have to deal with day to day corp. drama.

Cons

Great place to work if you would like to be a prpofessional forecaster. After the merger comp. plan changed to much lower commissions.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the former Riverbed sales management.

"Bad company"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Nice technical people. Flexible working time.

Cons

Top management too heavy. Senior managers only worry about their life. The moral is very low. Good people leave, and bad guys stay. The management has no idea how to make engineers happy. Too much over-time working without reasonable compensation. It seems the micro-management come from the very top level manager.

Advice to Management

You need to learn how to make engineer motivation.

"moving offshore"

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Bloomfield, CT

Pros

i cannot think of any praise for this job

Cons

my particular management was grumpy and surly, not objective

Advice to Management

restaff mid-level management

"Senior Hardware Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at JDSU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The team of engineers are top notch and the scope of work can be challenging and use cutting edge solutions.

Cons

No value whatsoever is placed on the engineers. You are treated purely like a company asset with no regard for work/life balance or career direction. Your experience and professionalism are completely ignored and your integrity is sacrificed to meet unrealistic and questionable business goals.

Advice to Management

You are losing your best employees because of your short-term views and lack of respect for your engineers. As the job market is improving this is only going to accelerate. There needs to be a fundamental shift in how you treat the R&D teams and a serious review of the behavior of your senior management team.

"Bad company getting what it deserves"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just a paycheck, nothing more.

Cons

I can see how some of these negative comments could be seen as sour grapes. However, as a former JDSU employee, I can assure you that the great majority are valid. Whether they intend to or not, management as a whole comes across as uncaring and completely dysfunctional. No one knows what anyone else is doing, and no one cares. It's this dysfunction that's led to the company's current problems, and it's no more than they deserve. Treat your employees badly, business suffers in the long run, and this is what you get. Trouble is, no one at JDSU ever cared about the long run.

Advice to Management

None that would help you now.

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing I experienced at this company was that I was paid very well compared to previous jobs. But now that I am on my own I am getting more.

Cons

Where do I start? There's no celebration of success internally. In most instances, when someone got promoted in my department, there was no announcement. We all found out months later, as if the company were trying to hide it. What I came to see is that most of those promotions were politically motivated and not deserved, so maybe hiding it was a good idea on management's part. There is no career development, no matter what HR tries to tell you. They put together some sad little program where they have speakers come in every month and talk to us, and they call that career development. Really? It's not career development, and in the last couple of months, it's not even well-executed. Lastly, JDSU is a company that manages its workforce using continuous layoffs because management is so bad that they can't find a way to make layoffs unnecessary. That would be called "good management". We all understand that even in the best companies, layoffs are sometimes necessary. But layoffs should be a last resort, not a workforce management tool.

Advice to Management

When you use layoffs as a workforce management tool, all you're doing is creating a culture of fear. If you really care about the culture and morale of your company, manage your company well from the executive level down so that layoffs are no longer part of regular life, but only happen when there's no other option. There's no better way to create trust. If layoffs are happening continuously because there really is no other option, then you are creating a destructive cycle and maybe it's time to shut the doors.