JDSU Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oleg Khaykin
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can get out of hand if you don't speak up (in 13 reviews)

• Mostly centralized decision making by upper management (in 15 reviews)

"I am not paid well but then again I do not have to succeed to keep my job"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Milpitas, CA

Pros

No micromanagement. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Low salary. Annual reviews result in no pay increase. Each department works in a silo.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

"code monkeys"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II

Pros

Pay is not good but still better than a lot of other places. They are fair and flexible with time off. It is nice having an office to code in. The quiet environment makes me more productive. However, this isn't really JDSU policy and now that they bought my company, they are planning to put an end to this.

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing sometimes. That's partially because management doesn't know much about the particular industry my small subdivision is in though.

Advice to Management

Software Engineers are not easily replaceable by outsourced labor. Quality suffers.

3. "It's OK"

Current Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA

Pros

For me, they're short commute and flexible work/life balance. I have a good team and enjoyed working with my team but not other teams we are dealing with.

Cons

the company is not profitable, the benefits are not comparable to others.

Advice to Management

there are still many people who do not do a good job but they are still in the team and get paid too much. Management is affaird to make a tough decision to let go a lot of people who do not contribute much to the operation of the Company.

"If only management would get out of the way!"

Current Employee - Channel Manager
    Current Employee - Channel Manager

Pros

Great name in what should be a great market. Lots of top folks pass through JDSU and it is good to have on your resume.

Cons

Managment cannot get out of the way. They are too focused on business programs and not on getting the job done. I was in sales - but I spent more time in forecast meetings than I idid with customers.

Advice to Management

Fire all middle management. Stop asking for the most mundane reports. Rebuild the company as a lean customer focused orginazation where the customer needs are put ahead of company needs.

6. "good company lake of stability"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability good company lake of stability

Cons

it is unorganized. managment is complete nonsense.

Advice to Management

good company lake of stability

"I wouldn't recommend it."

Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO

Pros

Shortly after acquiring our company, JDSU was quite diligent in making sure that we had sufficient training to use their tools and software.

Cons

Our local site management was good. Unfortunately, the direction and leadership that we received from the corporate office were very bad. I had the impression that the corporate office didn't see us as anything other than a cost center and they handled us poorly at that. Costly decisions were mandated from corporate that were extremely wasteful and seemed to be doomed to failure. Inputs from our local leaders to improve a process or minimize risk seemed to just bounce off corporate.

Advice to Management

Spend more time visiting the remote sites and have a real clear idea of what is happening there prior to making decisions that will implact or require the buy-in from these sites.

8. "Improving focus and financial performance"

Pros

Some very talented people, a lot of great technology. Current senior managment seems to be making progress. Good opportunties in the test and measurement portion of the business. Company seems to have survived the recession and has been doing better financially. Important because it stopped 401K contribution, raises and bonuses. Stock price has really taken off this year, so maybe market is also viewing JDS Uniphase prospects favorably.

Cons

Too focused on acquisitions, which it does not do well, instead of internal development. Many of these companies seem to do poorly after the acquisistion. Exception has been the Acterna acquistion. Company is fragmented and Corporate seems to focus on only one part of the business. It had been the fiber optic business. Now the focus seems to be entirely on the test and measurement business.

Advice to Management

Unify the company or break it up.

"Good individuals. Poor organization."

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Milpitas, CA

Pros

JDSU is one of the largest companies in optical components space. JDSU actually has a good reputation among those who have never worked with or for the company.

Cons

The atmosphere is highly political. The company is a mish mash of former M&As, with no sense of corporate integration or culture.

Advice to Management

Turnover is huge. Like nothing I've ever seen. The organization lends itself to employee dissatisfaction and negativity. More communication between all levels would help.

10. "A company with many new products and new patents"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, VA

Pros

Highly efficient in developing new products.

Cons

Frequent short notices of lay-off make employees unhappy and looking forward to moving to another companies. No vacation accumulation, just based on manager's approval.

"JDSU so-so"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, VA

I worked at JDSU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work life balance not bad
    -emphasis on social connecting igood
    -lots of different kinds of technology to learn
    -most people helpful

Cons

-no official vacation - time off depends on manger subjectivity
    -as with telecom lots of legacy -old technology needs to be maintained
    -lacks good management
    -periodic layoffs
    -pay was lower than average
    -more and more work being outsourced