JELD-WEN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Gary Michel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of flexibility, Good Benefits" (in 21 reviews)

• "Great people to work with and fantastic work/life balance" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and sometimes have to go in on the weekends" (in 10 reviews)

• "Lastly, there is little to no basic training for newly hired staff" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Love this company"

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits and management. Fun job

Cons

Raises are slow, a lot of temp workers

2. "Jeld-Wen used to be an amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Group Manager in Ozark, AL
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Ozark, AL

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, easy work, stable company, good benefits

Cons

Lack of communication from the top down, seemingly no strategic long-term plan, corporate level executives making impulse decisions to protect their jobs regardless of the negative impacts they may have on the rest of the team, claim that "safety takes precedence over everything" but safety usually takes a back seat when capital is required to eliminate the hazards. Unethical behavior from several members of executive leadership far up the chain setting poor examples for middle management. Poor planning from regional leadership regularly creates a vast imbalance between work and home life, i.e. lots of overtime and weekend work. In short, the company was an incredible place to work before going public. Since incorporating, it seems as though Jeld-Wen has abandoned all people-centric ideals and replaced them with greed and fear management. BUT if you are willing to deal with all of the above, your family will be well provided for even if they never see you.

Advice to Management

Conduct an employ survey with questions centered around effectiveness of leadership communication.

Hold round table meetings to gather feedback from hourly and front line supervisor staff.

Whatever the plan is, share it with your employees as much as possible so they are not left feeling lied to or deceived.

Take care of the employees that have displayed loyalty to the JW brand over the years, i.e. something more than a piece of paper.

Build a management team comprised of process-centric AND people-centric leaders. Human beings are not robots and sometimes engineers that find themselves in management roles forget that.

Set the right examples at the top for middle managers to follow. This includes when receiving or issuing bad new in person or on the telephone.

Practice what you preach. Don't communicate "Safety takes precedence" and then be too cheap to back it up. Hourly employees are not stupid and recognize when their company is cutting corners at the expense of their well being. It destroys your credibility and plants seeds of resentment within the core team.

Celebrate the wins! Small or large, a win is a win and all employees, from hourly to salary, need a pat on the back every now and then.
    Respect the human condition and reiterate the importance of work life balance. Yes, JW is a for profit business, but continuously over scheduling beyond a plant's capacity in conjunction with a grossly understaffed management team is greedy and stupid. This sends the message that JW only cares about $$$ and not the human condition. Moreover, it destroys employee moral, increases the likelihood of erroneous and legitimate injury, and burns out the hardest workers on the team.

Study the concept of diminishing returns and apply it when scheduling demand.

3. "production"

Former Employee - Production in Stayton, OR
    Former Employee - Production in Stayton, OR

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inside out of weather. Steady work

Cons

same job, not much change.

"ok"

Former Employee - Assembler in Ringtown, PA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Ringtown, PA

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

long hours, lots of weekend work

Advice to Management

schedule better

"Buckle your seatbelt..."

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Charlotte, NC

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were great and it was exciting to be part of a large, growing organization.

Cons

During my time at JELD-WEN, the culture ranged from bearable to toxic. The employee turnover rate was astronomically high and it was disappointing to see great people leaving the organization due to mismanagement and poor leadership.

It was also uncomfortable to feel the growing pains of a company that recently made the transition to becoming publically traded. Layoffs and hiring freezes seemed almost routine.

Advice to Management

Examine your leaders to ensure they are reinforcing the values that the company claims to hold.

6. "Field service"

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time

Pros

Lots of overtime available

Cons

They will run you into the ground

"Lack of wage growth opprutunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits - ok 401k match, somewhat ok PTO plan, but don't expect a payout if you leave the company.

Cons

no wage growth opportunity for long time employees. I had been promoted into a new position a while ago and things were good. The problem is a friend of mine applied for a position with my group and during the interview they were given a hiring range which the bottom was 15K more than what I currently make.

I asked my manager why we are hiring people with no industry experience into this role at a significantly higher wage than what I'm making.

I was told that the hiring wage was market based wages, when I was promoted from a different position the company has a 'cap' as to how much of an increase can be given to an employee which I hit this limit. I asked why this wasn't resolved at annual increase time and was told that there is a 'cap' of how much can be given during annual reviews (3.5%) and basically I will not ever be at the same wage as new employees into the group, even though I've been in the industry for years and know our business really well.

My best course for wage growth to be at 'market' wages is to go somewhere else. Apparently many places also pay bonuses which JELD-WEN does not unless you're one of the elite group of directors or above.

Advice to Management

The culture here is horrible, the turn over is high. it's time to invest in your employees which is supposedly one of the company values.

"Inventory Positions"

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time

Pros

None that I can think off other than free coffee for upper management.

Cons

Incredibly unstable work environment.
    Upper management does not seem to care about the folks on the floor.

9. "production"

Former Employee - Production in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Production in Bend, OR

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

overtime, most people were nice

Cons

fairness...being harrassed and I got let go. They say they follow policies..

"Horrible management"

Former Employee - Production/Sawyer in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Production/Sawyer in Bend, OR

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Lazy incompetent management. Everything from a production stand point revolves around managing the labor hours. The salaried managers goal is to minimized how many hours the hourly's work so he can get a bonus. They don't care if you want to work the full 40 they send you home. The hourly staff works part-time even though they are supposed to be full time so the salaried staff can keep their salaries. It's a total joke of a place.

Yes labor is the biggest cost but your can't tell me that ignoring all the other ways that money can be saved doesn't matter. But in order to fix those issues the lazy incompetent manager has to work for a living. Jeld wen is a joke of a company

Advice to Management

Change the culture all together. Make your managers actually work for a living.
    Stop only caring about your salaried staff.