JELD-WEN Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Beck

Pros
  • Good benefits including 401k, open door policy with management (in 13 reviews)

• Good people and friendly atmosphere (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's low pay for a workload that is constantly increasing, and it is a very disorganized place (in 4 reviews)

• Managers choose favorites, too much mandatory overtime, repetitive movements causing strain on back, havent seen a raise in 3 (in 3 reviews)

1. "Very disorganized place"

Current Employee - Komo Operator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Komo Operator in Irving, TX

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people. This place has a lot of overtime for you to work. There's been some improvement lately. Very big on safety.

Cons

No proper training for a lot of new employees. Turnover rate is ridiculously high. If there was some sort of training program in place, maybe this place would be more comfortable to work in.

Advice to Management

Please develop a good training plan

"Old Guard fiefdoms are still in place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Klamath Falls, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Klamath Falls, OR

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO bringing in senior leadership staff that know what a modern company needs to do to be successful.

CEO avails himself to anyone as his time permits and he seems to genuinely care about the rank and file employees.

The company is moving in the right direction from an operations and quality standpoint.

Cons

Old Guard "Command and Control" type of management style still pervades the company below the surface.

Career opportunities are non-existent.

Pigeon holes are commonplace management tools.

Advice to Management

C-level and Senior execs. - Making the company attractive to millennials is good but you have existing talent that is being hidden from view. Cultivate it...directly if necessary.

CGM and lower - It's not about cutting costs. It's about establishing value.

3. "No company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Located in a beautiful area.

Cons

The corporate culture is disjointed; one location doesn't communicate with the other and there are no growth opportunities. Additionally, no credit is given to staff for their work and it's hard to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to take staff's suggestions and needs into consideration. There's an air of us(Senior Leadership) vs. them(staff).

4. "General labor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

Pros

40 hrs a week work

Cons

Complete mismanagement from the top down

5. "Jeldwen production warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy so the time flew by fast. Plenty of overtime, benefits were good, interview process was easy, staff was very knowledgeable about Windows and doors. The company was growing fast

Cons

Management looked down on employees, sometimes work was challenging due to weather conditions in the warehouse. Bathroom area was disgusting

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the way you'd want to be treated

"customer service - warranty"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Hawkins, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Hawkins, WI

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

reasonable pay rate and health insurance, lots of hours available, good co-workers, paid time off plan is very flexible and fairly good holiday and vacation and retirement plans

Cons

poor product design and manufacturing systems so there is little ability to have satisfaction in your job, inconsistent and unreliable management - the company focuses on marketing and profits instead of good products or employee satisfaction - constant mandatory overtime leaves employees over stressed and unhappy

Advice to Management

focus on designing and manufacturing excellent products instead of short term profit, reduce need for overtime, hire more employees and invest in manufacturing systems that produce quality products

"If you get injured - they will target you"

Former Employee - Laborer in Pottsville, PA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Pottsville, PA

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are good, decent pay

Cons

Poor response to injuries, vindictive management, slow response to bad equipment

Advice to Management

What happened to me here was almost surreal. I was there a year. I had heard chatter that if someone gets injured, look out because the managers will gun for you. So imagine when it happened, the fear I felt.
    Pushing a giant, rickety door jamb cart with bum wheels, I had trouble steering it and hit my elbow off of a metal post. It looked like a purple balloon. My manager basically self-diagnosed it as a bruise and kept me working full-steam for 5 days. When it became apparent it wasn't healing and was serious, I had to beg to go to be seen by a doctor. I was told "We can tell you NOT to." Their insurance carrier stinks. They would only allow an x-ray. No MRI in spite of my physician feeling one was warranted.
    I went through physical therapy. Was on light duty. While I was, I was treated like garbage. Constantly questioned why I was not returning to full capacity quicker. The physician was told and he felt my pain at being humiliated. He gave me a steroid shot to help my hell. I pushed myself to resume my normal labor-intensive job.
    I knew it wasn't ok. Steroid shots are even not considered good for elbows. But jeld wens carrier wouldn't pay for the MRI first. I instinctively knew there was nerve damage impacting my hand. But I had to work and eat so I sucked it up to please these greedy monsters.
    Then 5 months later - no attempts to make my carts I used safer were made. I complained. Watched door jambs topple like dominoes when I and other coworkers pushed the horribly designed carts. Managers were aware of the constant issues. But no one cared. Employees fear speaking up.
    Well a jamb fell and hit my neck. My boss, again, told me to go clean the bleeding wounds and that was it. No offer of medical care. So I feared for my job & didn't ask. I said they'd find a reason to fire me.
    One WEEK later - I get hit by another person driving to work. My car was damaged. I called to work to let them know I'd be late. Waited for police who gave me a report. Had to switch cars with my parents cuz my Alignment was off. Grill was cracked. Jeld wen had a point system. Guess what??? The very MANAGER who designed the carts that were so dangerous - he refused to excuse my tardy from the accident. And that pointed me and I got fired!!!! Retaliation???? Well, in the eye of the beholder I guess.
    Then they fought my unemployment. I called OSHA. They sent false pictures of other carts to represent the ones I complained about. Twice!!!
    They are greedy lying and will cover up where they can. My elbow, a year later, still has problems. I think it was damaged badly but thy wouldn't pay for proper care. Only the barebones minimum.

"It pays the bills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA

I worked at JELD-WEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of hours
    I don't hate my co-workers
    They offer a 401k
    They have paid vacation days
    I make enough money to pay my bills

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    Hours are subject to change, sometimes daily
    Managers frequently threaten to fire staff to motivate them.
    Co-workers chew and spit it in very unhygienic places.
    Sometimes you're expected to work machines you don't know how to run.

Advice to Management

Stop threatening your staff. If you want them to care about their job give them a reason to beyond the fact that if they don't do it they will have to find another one.

Fear makes people anxious and sloppy. It doesn't exactly inspire someone to happily work 6 days a week 10 hours a day for what's looking to be months all the while not feeling valued because people keep threatening to fire them.

9. "Inventory Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, NC

Pros

The company offers wonderful benefits to their employees.

Cons

Employees are overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Value your employees for they are your company's backbone. Utilize them for their abilities and do not stifle their growth. Show appreciation for the work your employees do and compensate appropriately. Give suggestion for improvement as their is always room for growth, but also point out to your employees their strengths, rather than always focusing on the negative.

10. "Thus far has not been great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towanda, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towanda, PA

I have been working at JELD-WEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent but could always be better. Direct leadership I.e. team leader and below is generally good. The coworkers are good as well.

Cons

Swing shift is ridiculous. It is a proven fact it shortens your life. Management only looks out for themselves. Scheduling is a joke. It changes daily regardless of what it said the day before. The health insurance is God awful. The information flow is stagnant. When asked questions the advisors generally say I don't know.

Advice to Management

Get rid of swing shift. It's not asking for much I could deal with the other issues in stride. But missing out on family functions constantly is getting old.