JES Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Jeffrey E. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Only problem is with the upper level management"

I worked at JES Holdings part-time

Pros

Day to day, I got to work with wonderful residents and some wonderful employees.

Cons

I was not the biggest fan of the executives and their management style.

2. "Bad company"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Covington, GA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Covington, GA

I worked at JES Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was close to home

Cons

No one what going on uper management knows nothing

Advice to Management

Work the people under u thing would be better

3. "Run Away from the Director of Leasing."

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at JES Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Travel ( hotel points).

Cons

High Stress environment, Lack of support from upper management, Lack of funding to pay bills and support the necessacary marketing for each property, Medocre Health Insurance, and on top of all that poor construction leading to tons of compliants that makes the propery manager and leasing speialist jobs much harder! If you are in Leasing, Property Management or Marketing there is very little work life balance you are expected to work on the weekends especially now because the company is expanding.

Advice to Management

Stop building properties hours away from civilization. Remove credit score factor from qualification standards for low income housing. If you think about it this makes absolutely no sense. No amount of marketing will attract people with a low income and high credit score because they dont exist.

4. "Unsupported by executive team"

Pros

Okay compensation and other employees are good people.

Cons

No support from the management/ executive team. High turnover

5. "Great Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It's a "small" business with huge growth. The opportunities are endless if you show initiative and enthusiasm. The salaries are very fair.

Cons

The benefits are appalling; outrageous high deductible plans with high bi-weekly premiums. No maternity/paternity leave or short term disability. There's also some disconnect between the more tenured employees and the green employees brought in to initiate change.

6. "Leasing Specialist"

I have been working at JES Holdings full-time

Pros

Great staff, good communication on all levels, everyone has been very sweet and welcoming

Cons

A lot of travel, and a lot of working overtime

"Good Start"

Pros

Great culture, takes care of interns and spoils them

Cons

If you're looking for something bigger, this may not be the place for you

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at JES Holdings  (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to travel, awesome internship program, great people to work for at the home office, great social opportunities with coworkers, and great benefits

Cons

Not always the most ethical practices to reach goals, seemed like there was one person dictating unethical practices to lower employees without concern of their reputations

Advice to Management

Be sure to know what is going on outside of the home office. To the management of the traveling leasing people, don't be so eager to compromise your integrity to get a bonus.

9. "Great short-term position"

I worked at JES Holdings full-time

Pros

I got what I consider to be the best training for any other job I will ever have at JES Holdings. I worked on so many different types of companies, I truly learned so much about so many different industries. My time there put me in an excellent position to be able to achieve success in any other position I will take. I was lucky though, and I use that term only in context of this statement, that I was not stuck in one of their companies but instead worked on several of their companies.

That being said, the other positive sides of this company are as follows:

1. They do many fun activities with their employees. This includes monthly birthday lunch, a fun fundraising week, outings to the park, etc.

2. My workplace was more than adequate. This sounds silly, but if you have worked for a small business or a company that nitpicks the office supplies budget this is a big deal. If I needed something I could order it, my computer was replaced when it needed to be. I didn't have to do without or make something else work, I had whatever I needed. The office was cleaned frequently and cleaned well.

3. The office provided several employee benefits including a gym in the basement with top of the line equipment, cable, and a DVD player. There is a full kitchen stocked with dishes, a toaster, microwaves, a full oven, etc. There are coffee machines and vending machines, and the location of the office is close to almost everything, restaurants, Walmart, grocery stores, etc.

4. They don't shirk on training. This is a pro and a con, to be clear, they don't really train as far as job specific training, but as a pro they will send you to whatever training and conferences are necessary.

5. They are generous with bonuses.

Cons

The negative sides are as follows:
    1. I put that this job is a great starter job, and here is why. JES treats new employees entirely different than long-term employees. New employees get treated like gold. Old employees are essentially ignored, belittled, and expected to do more for less pay. Many new employees will come in making more than long-term employees and the long-term employees will be asked to train them. They do not have any sort of pay structure so titles mean little when it comes to pay, a Senior Accountant could make less than a Staff Accountant.

2. There is an expectation that they will continue to do more with less resources. Everyone in the office is over-worked. There are very few, if any, that have a workload comparable to a 40 hour work week. This is not a-typical of an accounting environment, however every week is overloaded and then when month end rolls around those overloaded weeks double.

3. It is very much a dog-eat-dog environment, and if something happens or a mistake gets made you can guarantee that someone will get thrown under the bus.

4. There is an extremely high turnover rate due to the negatives and this puts additional pressure on long-term employees who have to cover another job when someone quits, train someone new, and then know they are going to get the same things back again.

5. Getting a decision made is worse than pulling teeth. There are only two people allowed to make final decisions on almost everything, and their procrastination will always become your problem. You could have a packet together weeks before the deadline and not get it back until the day of the deadline and then you will have to make changes in a rush and it is very stressful.

6. There is not really any job specific training. Everyone who is there has too much to do to train.

7. There is no employee handbook, the organizational charts are more of a general guideline and not a true reflection of the lack of order, there are no true job descriptions. This was being worked on when I left, but given the culture of "ok until it's not" I highly doubt that these things will ever truly happen.

"Leasing Specialist"

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at JES Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They compensate your living expenses while traveling/living at a new project.

Cons

Lot s of travel and long hours. High turn over for this position.