JF & CS of Pittsburgh Reviews | Glassdoor

JF & CS of Pittsburgh Reviews

4.1
CEO

1. "One of Pittsburgh's best places to work for a reason!"

I worked at JF & CS of Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive coworkers - even those from different departments felt like allies. Clean and well-maintained work environment - something that can be rare in the nonprofit world! Even when the financial outlook for Pittsburgh nonprofits looked uncertain (due to state budget problems), JF&CS was fiscally strong. We never had to worry about a sudden loss of funding and cutting programs.

Cons

Like all nonprofit agencies, we made the earth move for very little compensation.

2. "Summer Internship - Career Development Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at JF & CS of Pittsburgh (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated me like an actual employee instead of a lowly intern. Provided more responsibility around the office, in particular with the summer Learn and Earn program. Accommodated my need of required hours for my internship. At the end of my internship they did seem very sad for me to go and wanted me to stay on longer, which was very appreciative and flattering. They were open to new ideas and said many times to share with them any observations I had on how to improve the program or new things to do that could benefit it somehow.

Cons

Lacked training or preparation. Although appreciating the responsibility given to me, I was unaware of many aspects of how the program worked and was told to do it "like last year" which I was not present for. There was also a lot of travel which of course being an intern I was not compensated for so gas money came out of my pocket. One supervisor in particular cause me to feel like I was being sort of set up to fail or used as a scapegoat at times. Though they say they want to hear new ideas and will listen they are not usually implemented.

3. "Great opportunity and I had a good boss, but there was a lot of mismanagement in other departments."

I worked at JF & CS of Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly flexible work schedule, good neighborhood, growth opportunities

Cons

Typical non-profit problems with management and too many cooks on some projects

5. "Great place to work with wonderful, yet over worked co-workers"

Former Employee - Refugee Employee Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Refugee Employee Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at JF & CS of Pittsburgh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management and excellent mission. Really helps a lot of Pittsburghers, both new and old! This is an excellent place for new grads to intern and hopefully work at.

Cons

Low pay and long hours, but that is par for the course in the social service non-profit world.

Advice to Management

Try to keep young talent; there are some really great social workers that need a little support.