JLL Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

JLL President & CEO Christian Ulbrich
Christian Ulbrich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can be handled better (in 87 reviews)

• No Support from upper management (in 43 reviews)

1. "Greatest internship!"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL as an intern

Pros

I came at the perfect time - there was a real need for help, and so I got to take on a lot of challenging projects most interns wouldn’t get to. I worked my tail off and learned so much. I felt so supported the entire time - I had multiple people cheering me on, telling me I was doing a great job when I was nervous, and giving me projects that continued to make me grow and learn. It was genuinely an invaluable experience and I really have learned to love this company. An incredible opportunity with an incredible company.

Cons

Did spend a lot of time outside of work working - but that was largely by choice! Wanted to prove myself. And mostly enjoyed the work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive and really show employees you care about them as people.

2. "creative art direction, approval and workflow"

Current Employee - Design Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Design Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people, work variety, room for growth

Cons

brokers, demanding, hectic, pressure, red tape

Advice to Management

trust, rely

3. "maintenance tech"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at JLL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits and people

Cons

some time there is to much micro management

Advice to Management

don't tell some one how to do there jobs , MAKE SUGGESTIONS , its not about EGO's its about pride in the work

4. "Questionable leadership, intense corporate politics"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at JLL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for JLL in Chicago is the fancy building and office. The Aon Center is a cool building in a great location and JLL's office space is newly renovated.

The place is crawling with millennials, which is great if you're a millennial.

The salary can be really competitive if you're good at negotiating upon accepting a job or being promoted. Don't settle for their first offer, they can always do better.

Cons

The Marketing department is an absolute mess. They have no idea what they're doing. The words "restructuring" and "reorganization" have been floating around for over six months. Just an absolute lack of transparency. People are worried about their jobs.

There's been a lot of turnover in Marketing leadership within the last year. The head of digital marketing just left for a different role, the PR department is being completely overhauled and they just lost their most reliable leader, and the communications team has been falling apart for months. A couple firings, a couple people quit, it's not a good situation.

Advice to Management

Stop fooling yourself into thinking you're one of the best places in Chicago to work and start listening to your employees. People are seriously unhappy. Treat people with respect and actually live up the values you paint all over your websites. Reward people based on merit, not favoritism.

5. "Great experience but low pay"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning great skills that I otherwise would've missed had I stayed at my prior company. For example, there is an ETF (Excel Task Force) team that puts together excel presentations where employees can present on excel topics. It's also great if you work in a team where everyone's goal is to get things done in a timely manner and with accuracy. I was grateful to have had a team working together. JLL also has many outings/happy hours to blow off steam so that's definitely a plus.

Cons

The pay is definitely the biggest con. We work many hours and we go through a period in the summer where things are getting done left and right. It's normal to come in at 8:00 and leave at 6:00 to have to go home and start all up again. For the amount of work that is completed, pay is definitely low. There is also not enough challenges as some of the businesses are very mature.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well and turnover won't be so high.

"Ifm"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very few. At least it's a job

Cons

Used car sales people. Deceiving

Advice to Management

Won't work

7. "VP of Projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee drive and a good culture

Cons

Deployed a pay band structure in 2015 but all employees have not made it into the lowest portion of the pay band.

8. "Director of Marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with a good track record.

Cons

It was difficult to get ahead in the group structure in worked in at the time.

Advice to Management

None. I haven't been there for a while and don't know the current management.

"This review is for the future temps by a temp."

Former Contractor - Internal Audit in Westmont, IL
    Former Contractor - Internal Audit in Westmont, IL

I worked at JLL as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a lot to offer. It is a well respected company and has almost every big name company out there for a client. The atmosphere is great, most of the people are nice, laid back dress code, and your not micro-managed. Place is clean, all new technology and cubicles. It is pretty quiet too so your not distracted.

Cons

It all depends which department you end up working in. For an entry level accounting or finance you want to be working for the property teams in finance. That experience is what employers across the board are looking for. Unfortunately I ended up in auditing otherwise known as oversight internal audit.

The manager is newly promoted and she doesn't know how to manage to save her life. This affects you because your training, just like my training and the temp that came in after me, is non existent. She only worked about the minimum hours and once in awhile I saw her working late. You will have to listen to her complain about how she's stressed out and overwhelmed and doesn't have time for your training and you will have to write down your questions and she will get to it when she can. Literally that is what she said.

You will work on a audit called ASC 606. Basically you are auditing quarterly reviews on a company and comparing your results to the property team results. It is relatively easy in the end but getting the training to learn how to do it is completely another story. I was given 45 minutes on what the spreadsheet is and a Word document on how to complete it. The training was beyond awful I had so many questions and there is no one to answer it. Why because all senior people get to work from home and the manager spent more time working remotely than in the office. They do not allow you just to ask any person on the team you have to go to the manager or someone she designates who is usually too busy for your questions. So you can try instant messaging your boss if it's a real quick answer but in my case I had to set up training block session times on my calendar where I would have a list of questions and she would have a phone call with me to go over everything that I had. I couldn't believe it. One to two days I had to wait and therefore I just kept opening up new accounts to work on never fully completing an account. As I got an answer or shown something new I had to go back and change everything in the accounts and when I missed one she was quick to jump down my throat about it and questioned my ability. In the end it took me about a month to fully know how to do an assignment from beginning to end that should have been shown to me within the first tree days. She criticizes and nitpicks because it is not how she would do it and she really knew how to put you down and make you feel worthless. I tried my best with little to no guidance and she was there to criticize but she wasn't there to help me learn and to help me with the questions that I had. Emails are the worst she had me at the point where I was afraid to send one out. If you copied over a spreadsheet to an email and not all the lines showed up to make the border it's your fault and how dare you put a name in a to field when it should be CC'd even though the email says all parties have to respond to each other when communicating. How was I supposed to know? Sorry. One last thing to the new temp make sure you keep your logged IM messages saved. There will be accusations and lying and drama like that.

Advice to Management

You are not cut out for management and you do not know how to train employees. You may be good at your job but you need to take some type of training classes and start working more hours just like every other manager and every industry does. Then you will be more caught up and less stressed out. Get your butt into the office and start training your temps! You should not be working from home, you should be sitting at their side making sure they are getting the proper training right at the very beginning so they could do it right the first time. Update your one note that you think is the perfect guidance for the temps and employees. I found so many outdated fields and incorrect entries in there but yet nobody updates it. Inconsistency is another big thing that you need to work out. You need to decide if it is third-party billing or internal billing and stick to it. You can't keep going back to previous accounts and updating and when one is messed jump down the temps throat over it. Get it right the first time.

"Great support and growth"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at JLL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JLL offers a plethora of ways to achieve professional and personal goals. Offering discounted MBA programs with top universities. Opportunities to volunteer in the community and give back. Mentoring programs, formal and informal, with people who earnestly desire to see you grow and achieve goals.
    Pay is pretty good, and benefits are good. Good maternity program and team support to celebrate life's changes. Good teams to work with have made all the difference in my career.

Cons

A bit maze like in locating the right people internally. Seemingly rigid promotion process, although some people have gotten around this.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting those who work hard for you, as they are the backbone.

Showing 169 of 1,888 reviews