JLM Staffing Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
JLM Staffing Solutions President La Shondra Mercurius
La Shondra Mercurius

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "JLM is truly a career partner!"

I have been working at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time

Pros

Working at JLM has been a unique and overwhelmingly beneficial experience. I started as an intern, and while in this position, I was exposed to full cycle recruiting, employee relationship building, and more. The team here is committed to developing their employees, both internal and external, for the long term. As a current employee, I have seen tremendous company growth and great improvements. The team environment is very strong and the owners know how to inspire, mentor, and expand the capabilities of their employees.

Cons

JLM is constantly changing to improve and expand the business. At times there could be some processes that could be improved. While it could be confusing to some, I find it a great opportunity to continually improve.

2. "Great for candidates-not great for internal staff"

I worked at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time

Pros

Nice office, good coworkers, plenty of work to keep you busy

Cons

Unorganized, passive aggressive management, they churn and burn internal employees

3. "Precipitously High Turnover, Pitifully Low Wages"

I worked at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time

Pros

They keep a stocked refrigerator and provide snacks?

Cons

Co-workers... It's a swinging door the way they hire and fire internal employees--the turnover is crazy and relatively arbitrary. Big red flag; not the way a stable company is run. Creates an unhealthy and unprofessional dynamic between the approximately 2 people who have been there for more than a year (plus whoever thinks they will last) and "other" (i.e. expendable, soon-to-be-disposed-of) employees.
    Expect you to work extra hours as well as through lunch and breaks without reflecting it on your timesheet while paying you less than a living wage. Too much whip-cracking, no consideration for proper treatment of employees.
    All this makes for a toxic work culture based on distrust of fellow employees and employer.

Advice to Management

You can't hire so many people just to quickly throw them all away. Considering that this is a recruiting/placement firm, recruiting and placement internally should not be so problematic; it makes the company look bad.

"Good Place to Keep You Working"

Current Employee - Construction Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Construction Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great opportunities of learning, training, mentoring. Extensive project exposure. Great colleagues with excellent integrity.

Cons

The only cons I can see be looked at as growing pains that have since been corrected.

Advice to Management

Job well done, keep up the good work.

"A team supportive environment set up for growth and opportunity!"

I have been working at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time

Pros

I have been with JLM for about 6 months and throughout my time here so far, I have seen what this company has to offer their employees and clientele. JLM has a unique outlook on recruiting for a niche industry and the owners, Jayson and LaShondra, implement modern strategies to traditional techniques.

I have read the other reviews and from my experience with the owners, I have a completely opposite perspective. Jayson and LaShondra are well-experienced in the industry and recruiting. Both have a hands-on approach to training and providing feedback for improvement. They have created a culture that isn’t defined by titles, but rather a team supportive environment. All the expectations and rewards that were promised to me have had follow-through. In addition, I have seen them invest in other employee’s strength by giving them opportunities to work on special projects, which are then compensated through large bonuses.

The skills I have gained from JLM will not only allow me to be more successful here at JLM but can be transferred to benefit any other employer or industry

Cons

As a small business, JLM’s processes are always adjusting and improving to adapt. For some, this could seem unstable or confusing but JLM prides itself on having strong minded individuals who innovatively think to provide solutions to these challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. My experience thus far has been very rewarding, from the challenging work of the industry to working closely with other staff.

"A work place for challenge oriented independent thinkers"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with JLM for almost two years. The one thing that attracted me to the company after my first interview was not the job itself or the industry; it was the owners of JLM. Two people with passion and drive, who have been crossing boundaries that have never been crossed.

JLM is a company striving for greatness. On the way to greatness, there are a lot of obstacles and challenges to overcome. Every single employee is given an opportunity to have direct impact on how those challenges are tackled. Through this hands on experience, everyone, from an intern through the owners of the company, grows professionally. I, myself, have grown tremendously, and these lessons learned I can take with me no matter where I go, where I live or what I do.

JLM truly cares for their employees as well. We all work as a team, and a team is as strong as it weakest link. To motivate the team and reward for successes, the owners give consistent performance based salary raises, we had a masseuse come into the office during very busy and tense periods of time, and one employee was even encouraged to take a day off because of big load of work, and was "sent" by the owners of JLM to a spa, which they paid for. These are only material ways JLM shows their appreciation. For me personally, the biggest rewards are those you can't quantify- the learning opportunities I can take advantage of every single day at work. These opportunities present themselves through honest and candid feedback I receive on my performance, through my job responsibilities that evolve and change based on the direction the company is moving to, through people I talk to and meet every day, through events and conferences I participate in; these are just a few examples. The point is that these opportunities present themselves, and it is up to me to recognize them, take them and capitalize on them.

I think that JLM is a great place to work for ... but not for everyone. As a small business having an unimaginable opportunity to expand fast, people who are self-motivated and driven, people who are not afraid and who are curious, and people who thrive on challenges and being out of their comfort zone are the ones who will like working here. Essentially, it is a place for challenge seeking independent thinkers.

Cons

As a growing business, JLM is just testing the waters. Because of that, some of the processes are continuously being improved and worked on. Some of the procedures are not crystalized yet and it may be confusing at times for a new employee to understand or follow through. At the same time, just being in the process of uncovering all the opportunities in the industry, the strategies and goals are shifting, which again may create confusion in new employees who don't have the understanding of the bigger picture just yet.

However, these cons constitute opportunities at the same time. Any employee can create and innovate to not only improve internal processes but to also determine the course of the company.

Advice to Management

As I mentioned before, the management has been the reason I decided to take the job with JLM. At no point in time have I been disappointed in them. On the contrary, they have always shown the highest level of work ethics, integrity and commitment. Above it all, they are both highly intelligent people who want one thing that any business owner wants - for their business to succeed. And to do that, they understand they need people who will drive the business with them. My advice is - as the business grows, continue growing with it to test your own boundaries and break your own limits.

"Mehhh"

Former Employee - Intern in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Some of the employees are really nice and helpful.

Cons

They hire a lot of interns to do work but they are not really interested in developing talent. They keep interns in constant rotation.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for growth and development. Have quality projects and valuable tasks for interns to work on. Interns come to a company learn about a job field and what it entails and has to offer so sometimes you should provide direction and open them to the possibilities instead of expecting them to have answers. Other words, you should just hire experienced professionals and not interns if you are not prepared to provide that guidance.

"Recruitment / Administrative Intern"

I worked at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From top to bottom, everyone's perspective was valued. Even as an intern I felt like every day I made decisions that impacted the business. Everyone in the office was friendly and committed to their job and JLM, can't say a single bad thing about any of them. I enjoyed the immediate feedback I received, good or bad, I always felt like there was healthy conflict. The President and COO made everyone's job easier and were always accessible.

Cons

Turnover can be an issue, but really is just the owners caring about putting the right people in the right seats. If you don't like confrontation this might not be the place for you

Advice to Management

If someone makes a mistake, it really lowers morale to condemn them in front of everyone in the office and to remind employees of their past mistakes when it isn't relevant.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recuriter
    Current Employee - Recuriter

I have been working at JLM Staffing Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros were the nice office with nice background music.Cant say much more ;( small company located in long beach Ca

Cons

Did a interview with two women that had me reading scripts over and over.They took a copy of my id and social.I forgot my social and they wanted me to bring it back that same day as if I got the job.This place is a scam never heard from them again.Never been on a interview and they ask for personal information and never call you back.I called twice and they said we are waiting on the owners to get back in town.

Advice to Management

Find different people to do the interview

"Recruiting coordinator"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Long Beach, CA

I worked at JLM Staffing Solutions  (More than a year)

Pros

besides building your resume out of college, there are no pro's to working here.

Cons

Worked here for about a year & seen about 5 people quit/fired in the short time I've been there. Some only lasting a day. Ive see. So many people come out of their office crying because of how rude they are to them for minor mistakes. They take advantage of hard working, eager recent graduates and promise them growth & excellent pay. They deliver none. I've taken over countless duties from employees that left & was never given a raise. I worked over 40 hour weeks & was only paid for 40. I did accounting, admin, and recruiting for them. They manipulate young professionals and tell them lies about how much other employees were making to inspire you to get there when in fact they never paid close to it. I even left on good terms & they refused to pay me my last wages until I had to get a lawyer involved a month later.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat human beings with respect and don't take advantage or try to manipulate people.