JOEY Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Fuller

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes long hours if I cannot manage my time well enough (in 6 reviews)

• Poor management, very high turnover, and new rules are constantly being introduced (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Atmsophere, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great atmosphere for those who are in the food industry who can compare to non-corporate companies. I also met a lot of great friends while working for Joey.

Cons

The management team will not care about sickness, personal issues, or anything that may keep you from coming to work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, and the business will run much smoother.

"Great coworkers, poor management"

Current Employee - Server in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are great for the most part. I've built friendships here & they're the ones that keep me there.

Cons

-Discount is horrible. For such overpriced food, you would think we'd get a better discount than 10%. Tip out is 5.5% and money is handled and dispersed among the large staff by ONE person.
    - Only the strong survive here. Seen more than 30 people leave within the year I've been employed there because of the stress caused by management.
    -Micromanagement at its best here, resulting in the most ineffective people to be promoted. They tend to focus on what you're doing wrong, rather than what you're doing right.
    -Long hours. You'll never really know when you'll be off unless your shift is given a specific end time.
    - Regardless if you're a server, they will have you run food, drinks, clean bathrooms, seat guests, etc. and overall overwork you more than your salary.

Advice to Management

Treat your partners with respect & you will receive less of an employee overturn. Also, by promoting select employees to be in leadership roles one day & servers the next, others will not take them seriously. Maintain a management system with the correct people & the company could possibly succeed.

"Joey Bellevue"

Former Employee - Server, Bartender, Guest Service, Shift Leader in Bellevue, WA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Joey you have the opportunity to make a lot of money while working alongside your best friends. You can average anywhere from $30-40 an hour as a server/bartender.

Cons

Favoritism and immaturity comes with any job held anywhere, here those issues are apparent but the upper management truly does notice when you're giving 110%. Voice your want to grow and they will merit that growth if you have shown that you can deliver results. There are a lot of younger partners here, both servers and management alike, which caused a lot of drama, but if you're able to look past that then you will do fine.

Advice to Management

Reward shift leaders with a higher pay increase and/or tip percentage; they put in a lot of work for minimal pay. Don't involve yourself in or create drama. Act out of a place for wanting your partners to succeed, not for the purposes of a power trip. Keep giving people that are new to the hospitality industry the tools to succeed in further indevors and please never get rid of the sushi cone!

5. "Waitress"

Current Employee - Waitress in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Waitress in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with and good money.

Cons

Management sucks. Treats their employees like slaves. All about favorites

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for all employees, not just the few you like. Make working there worth it instead of making employees dread it

6. "Best Restaurant Company culture I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Coaching, mentorship, constant advancement and growth opportunities, great work life balance, great people and culture, performance based,

Cons

Sometimes demanding work schedules during busiest times, transparency from the top could be more clear.

Advice to Management

Create more levels of transparency for evey level of management, eliminate political biases

7. "Server / Cash Person"

Current Employee - Office Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Office Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with in both bon and foh. We vary in ages but all work together seamlessly to make sure we get it right for the customers.

Cons

If you want to make money, work the weekends.

Advice to Management

Focus more on training upfront and more conservative with tables for new servers.

8. "Great advancement opportunities and coaching culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Joey Restaurants is a great company for young people to learn skills to better themselves personally and to learn techniques that will benefit them in any career field. There are not very many places that teach you customer skills, problem solving, recruiting, teamwork, multitasking, quality expectations, etc.

They are very transparent with performance, which is great because I always know how I am doing and what I could be doing to further my myself. Its fun, challenging, and its never just a job!

I love the people that I work with and there is always a sense of leadership amongst the team. Even when things are busy, there is passion to get through it together.

Cons

There are so many moving parts that sometimes communication is lacking amongst the whole team. They do a lot to improve it though.

Advice to Management

Have fun, acknowledgment, and keep challenging!

Apr 24, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for providing your feedback about your current work experience at JOEY Restaurants! We fully agree - JOEY is not just a job, it's an educational experience where you will learn, grow and ... More

9. "Worked at the front, server, and part of management. 3+ Years"

Current Employee - Host/Server/Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Host/Server/Manager in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OPEN COACHING CULTURE. They are open to sit down one on one & talk about almost anything, Not a lot of places do that & it can make a big difference.
    Great money & people to work with

Cons

High tip out %
    Could improve server training system.
    You won't make much money, unless you are really good and patient to hang in there.

Advice to Management

Focus on being positive & inspiring, especially in conversations. Acknowledge & appreciate more. A lot of managers do it, just need consistency.

Mar 29, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback and insights about your current work experience at JOEY Restaurants! We love that you are taking-part and inspired by our strong coaching culture. We will provide your ... More

10. "Do do it to yourself"

Current Employee - Bartender in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Attractive restaurant, decent-to-regular food and easy drinks to make

Cons

Working for WAYYYY more than you are paid. MICROMANAGEMENT at it's complete worst. No real system in place for flow. No busser/barbacks. FOH staff expected to run around like crazy with smiles and no questions. Also extremely culty and dismissive across the board from top to bottom. All this and no money because money is deducted from all staff before it is given in order to pay the kitchen, and ONE person does the money for the entire restaurant (LARGE staff). Good Luck lol

Advice to Management

They can't be helped. They have the corporation so ingrained in their systems it's impossible. But they could start with actually doing some work and not standing around staring at everything. Maybe not be so condescending and be human instead of robots

11. "Server & Guest Services Represenitive"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team & Server in North Pole, AK
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team & Server in North Pole, AK

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn so much about giving great customer service, serving awesome food & drinks. I enjoyed working at Joey's the regulars are fun and get to meet new people all the time. Plus it's also pretty easy to pick up extra shifts if you want them

Cons

Tough thing about any hospitality job is that unless your a saleried manager your hours aren't really set and when you clock out time for the end of your shift it is never a definite time either

Mar 22, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We definitely agree! We love our guests and do everything we can to provide them with a world-class experience. We also provide our partners with the opportunity to ... More