JOEY Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jeff Fuller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company with some really great people" (in 19 reviews)

• "Opportunity for growth and learning" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long Hours, High Tip Out, Everyone who works there is a beautiful size two" (in 16 reviews)

• "Too many staff on at once, high tip out" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I worked at JOEY Restaurants part-time

Pros

Fun, dynamic workplace full of great employees. Very upbeat and fast paced.

Cons

Better communication between servers and guest service.

2. "Shady, unprofessional, management will lie"

Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with at the restaurant. They all just want to be successful and are cool, but naive and often times young and naive.

Cons

Management is full of unprofessional 20 year olds who will lie to your face just to protect the restaurant. They will underpay you if they can get away with it. Everything they do, it is always for the restaurant. Unless you drink the Koolaid, don't expect that they will be nice to you. I would avoid this place like the plague. They hired me for full time but I only worked 10 hours a week. They will make you put down a deposit for your uniform without signing a contract that they will return that money back from you. Don't get me started with the legal violations. Again, they will lie to you if you try to confront them. They will also push you to eat at the restaurant bc they know what it helps bring in revenue for the restaurant. Don't fall for it. Unfortunately they take advantage of anyone they can, and people fall for it.

3. "Server"

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time

Pros

Good money, some team members are extremely friendly and helpful, some customers are awesome

Cons

Physically and mentally demanding, no set ending time for shifts, long hours

4. "Bartender/Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff you work with is incredible. Great people and customers. You can make a lot of money in a fun environment.

Cons

Management wants to brainwash everyone. They often do not support their employees when issues arise, they mostly place blame and want their employees to "take responsibility," even when some things are managements doing. Often lie to employees and make many promises they do not keep.

Schedule is up maybe a week before, if you're lucky, so planning is challenging. Mostly hiring for just looks now.

5. "Purchasing Manager"

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. There was a great comradery within the restaurant. Opportunity to move up within the company.

Cons

Shift length was not always standard. Scheduling could needed improvements.

6. "High intensity, good coworkers, low pay"

I worked at JOEY Restaurants part-time

Pros

This is a real kitchen with all the demands you would expect. Not easy work, but if your coworkers are good then you can learn a lot.

Cons

Really rough closing, sometimes very understaffed.

7. "It was amazing opporutnity"

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time

Pros

Great company with some really great people

Cons

It was a very tiring job

8. "Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make good money, in the better sections, if you are a favorite.

Cons

They don't support their employees when issues with a guest (who are not always right) arise. They fire people in the middle of their shifts, in front of co workers and dining guests, instead of professionally doing this in the office. You are judged more on your appearance than your intelligence or work ethic.

"Bartender"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at JOEY Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall Joey has been a great place to work. If you're a server your first question is probably regarding tips....the tips here are fantastic. This is my second job in the restaurant industry and I've learned more than I expected to. The best aspect is the amazing people you meet, both co workers and guests. I met some of my best friends working here. There is a lot of opportunity to move up into management if that is what you want to do. Something I really appreciated was performance transparency, whether you are exceeding expectations or falling short there will be a conversation had. This is nice because you're acknowledged for doing well and/or given the proper tools to do better if necessary. My GM Kelly has always been supportive of my ambitions in and out of the restaurant which is not something that can be said for most restaurant managers.

Cons

As with most restaurants there will be unexpectedly crazy nights, but that comes with the industry. Really the only improvement that could be made is more competitive pay for the shift leader position.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best and the brightest.

10. "probably the worst restaurant i’ve ever worked at"

Former Employee - Server in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at JOEY Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

5-10$ food menu for employees
    that’s really the only good thing about this place you can’t even have a free lemonade you have to pay full price

Cons

Rude staff and tip out is 5.5% of your net sales. managers micromanage like crazy and shifts during lunch are 2 hours long unless your a lunch closer. when your new you’ll have a 2-3 table section and they won’t seat you until their senior servers have a full section. they base the schedule and the floor plan off of how many guest compliments you get and if you get good yelp reviews. worst place i’ve ever worked

Advice to Management

maybe if you treat all your employees fairly you wouldn’t have such a high turnover rate for servers!!