JOHANNES LEONARDO Reviews | Glassdoor

JOHANNES LEONARDO Reviews

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Nice Place to Work for right out of college students"

Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff in New York, NY

Pros

Nice office, environment is very chill causal and relaxed open space awesome place for someone who loves advertising, start up company has been around for 7 years

Cons

I have worked at JL for a short while, at first I thought it was a match but after a week I have noticed a few things that really made me consider leaving, as someone with 12 years experience and working in corporate this place wasn't at all a match for me. I felt like I was being watched the entire time I was there, no privacy, a lot of inside private conversations. It made me felt uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Last minute task, management talks about you right in front of you or around you with others. Your on your own no guide, so if you screw up expect to take blame.

"Disorganized and Dishonest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at JOHANNES LEONARDO full-time

Pros

The only pros are the talented creative staff (who are so overworked and not well-treated that they will soon leave or be fired, in typical JL fashion) and the Adidas Originals account (who will probably part ways with the agency soon enough anyway if they're smart).

Cons

Where to start. This place is the most disorganized mess of an agency I have ever experienced. Little to no communication within the agency, no respect for employees, no accountability on the part of managers and ridiculous hours. Also, good luck getting clear direction on anything. It's either micromanagement or nothing at all. All I can say is beware. Many people are temped in my the great clients, however this place will make your life hell.

Advice to Management

Let creatives be creative. Treat your employees like human beings. Don't be so greedy. Don't lie. Maybe then you will be able to keep staff on for longer than a few months. You get some amazingly talented people to work for you and you treat them like dirt. If you don't change this you won't be around for much longer, since you can't pull the wool over people's eyes forever.

"Nothing good ever comes easy."

I worked at JOHANNES LEONARDO full-time

Pros

This is an agency that isn't just hungry, it's starving. It wants to do the best work in the world, and that's no exaggeration.

The people who work here, especially on the adidas Originals account, are some of the smartest in the business, from account, to strategy, to creative.

The agency is beautiful, located just above SoHo. Cool vibes. But not enough space for how quickly they're growing.

This is one of the few agencies I've ever been to that has given me a real education. Mentorship here is top-notch, if you know where and how to look for it.

There are massive opportunities at JL. The work you can do here can be the best work you'll do in your career...if you can handle the good with the bad.

Cons

I won't gripe about the hours, because that's the case at any shop where the expectations are high. But it bears mentioning to anyone who's expecting to come in and coast on the name alone.

For how relatively small the place is, communication should be much better.

"WTF"

I worked at JOHANNES LEONARDO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office space, some very smart people, especially in account management. Most people are reasonably nice and some are wonderful. They manage to lure in some great creatives here and there.

Cons

Abysmal communication in almost every conceivable way.. from the top to the bottom. I've never quite experienced such maddening lack of communication (esp. creative) on even the most basic levels. It's embedded in the culture with its origins at the executive level. My time there was among the most frustrating and unrewarding of my career so far. All of the best creatives either leave because they're miserable, or are suddenly fired for weird non-reasons. You think JL has all this potential, but it doesn't.

Advice to Management

Jan and Leo should remove themselves from the creative process.

"Not the worst, not the best"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at JOHANNES LEONARDO (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best offices I've ever worked in, aesthetically. They'd order lunch for everyone once a week, which was really nice, and treated their freelancers like they were really part of the team. Some of the greatest creative talent in the ad world walks through JL, and seeing the ideas come to life was greatly satisfying.

Cons

Their pay policy for freelancers is impractical. Essentially it's a "you get paid when we get paid" deal, which is a great safe move for them, but as a freelancer not knowing when you're getting paid is a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Change your pay policy for freelancers. Save up a cushion so that they can be paid on time, or don't hire freelancers to begin with.