JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Studio Assistant"

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO part-time

Pros

Creative space w/ great snacks and beautiful decor.

Cons

Long hours that can sometimes go unappreciated.

2. "Worth it for the food trucks"

Pros

Awesome coworkers, awesome perks. A lot of smart, creative, friendly people at jms amd great studio culture

Cons

Lack of transparency from management . High turn over rate

"Surprisingly toxic and fear-based work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO (More than a year)

Pros

Creativity is flowing at this studio. There is a lot of work so there are many opportunities to design and try to put forth your best work. Also, the facility is smashingly chic, it was always nice to go into such a beautiful office space.

Cons

As stated in other reviews, the egos are through the ceiling and the environment consistently felt like walking on eggshells. There seems to be a culture of fear manifested deeply but framed in an artistic/creative veil. There was actual yelling by top management which, in turn, created an abusive and unhealthy workplace. Many of the employees were simple rude and unfriendly and not welcoming. It almost felt as if back in secondary school. Crazy.

Advice to Management

For a firm that has grown this large, the top management needs to either let go of some creative decisions or find more constructive ways of presenting opposite viewpoints. Try to turn the ship from the fear, and consequently, toxic culture.

"Try to make the company work for you......"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, CA

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place is crazy with huge egos and zero onboarding or process and an odd sense of pride in their cold culture. But you can make it work for you if you live in the east bay and hate the idea of losing so much time each day commuting, just want a decent paycheck (if you are easily able to brush off the egos and insanity), are OK with having a handful of cool and engaged coworkers. If you are into design and architecture, you will love the aesthetics of this place. And the reason I give this 3 stars instead of 2, you can generally take great pride in the quality of work that gets produced. (The downside to that is noone respecting deadlines or budget requirements).

Cons

Management can be downright abusive with their attitudes and sense of entitlement.

Advice to Management

Spend more on showing your employees, the people who do the actual work that helps your business succeed, that you value them - and less on pointless stuff like fancy furniture and gardens.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse projects from Strategy, Brand, to Interactive and Video. Creativity is taken seriously. Good upward mobility and opportunities to be a strategic contributor.

Cons

Every work environment can be improved upon, but management is focused on retaining a positive studio culture. Focus on both B2B and B2C clients.

"It's work"

Pros

This is the type of company where you have to participate, work really hard, have to engage and actually have talent and a fair amount of confidence in order to succeed-- it's not for everyone. I was just looking for salary comparisons and got to reading these reviews of the company I work at. A lot of them are silly, probably from grouchy people who weren't very ambitious when they worked here. This is a big company, I think over 100 employees. In order to get noticed you have to work hard. You have to speak up for yourself while you're here if you're feeling unsatisfied, not after the fact. You have a voice. If you're not happy, use it to make things better at a place you go to every day. They pay well and there is opportunity to learn things and create a path for yourself.

Cons

It's not the easiest place to get to unless you have a car-- not impossible but could be a long commute by Bart and bus if you live in the city.

"creative"

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

commute was easy. the offices were cool

Cons

singular focus on one person. owner

Advice to Management

Pay attention

"Different than typical agencies"

I have been working at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

John Mcneil Studio is not your typical agency. Everyone from the chief creator director down gets involved in helping drive clients business. And, we get to focus on actually producing great work vs Farming it out. These are some of the smartest people I have ever worked with. Everyone I work with is incredibly passionate, considerate, fun and collaborative. Good people. Good place. Good culture.

Cons

the company has grown very quickly so there are some growing pains. While they have come a long way they, they need to continue to work out some of the process kinks.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to your people and help keep the great aspects of the culture intact. Continue to improve the process.

"good place to work"

Pros

Great people and great offices. Decisions made locally. Employees treated fairly. If you have initiative you can move up quickly.

Cons

The place has grown fast and their are some growing/process pains. Seems like those are getting addressed. The company is not perfect, but much better than other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

Develop better communication lines. With numerous buildings and departments it can sometimes feel siloed.

"Please don't work here"

I worked at JOHN MCNEIL STUDIO (Less than a year)

Pros

Some cool people
    Clean/spacious
    Free dinners
    Monthly social events

Cons

Your soul will wither and then you will wonder if it is even there at all. Time will speed up unbeknownst to you, and you will wonder how that happened. If you want to live life for "benefits" and a paycheck, then this will do. But if you want true benefits, to retain your mental sanity and creativity, to do work that is valuable to you, it's not here.

The writer Willa Cather puts it much better:

"Consequently I live just about as much during the day as a trapeze performer does when he is on the bars — it’s catch the right bar at the right minute, or into the net you go. I feel all the time so dispossessed and bereft of myself. My mind is off doing trapeze work all day long and only comes back to me when it is dog tired and wants to creep into my body and sleep."