JOHNLEONARD Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Temp Work"

Former Employee - Temp in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Temp in Boston, MA

I worked at JOHNLEONARD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have you start working right away, and are always accessible

Cons

It can be challenging to have to work through a middle man, instead of directly for the company ( as is the case with all temp work). They aren't that effective at their job I guess because I'm still looking for work!

2. "A great job for someone who is retired and looking forward to making a little bit of money."

Former Employee - Student in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student in Boston, MA

I worked at JOHNLEONARD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The assigned locations were close in various areas around Boston. Employees got paid Weekly. Coworkers were really pleasant to work with. It's a good place to start an entry level job for a short period of time.

Cons

No training for any positions, even entry level. The locations were chosen at random, you as an employee have no control over where they send you or else you don't get a call for work that day. Company doesn't train you but the onsite managers/supervisors expected you knew your job thoroughly and get frustrated when you ask questions. Hiring manager will not give you a position you originally applied for.

Advice to Management

If you're going to send someone to a job they don't know, at least provide some type of training or idea for the employee or notify the employer that your person on call needs some type of training first. Do not promise the employee you're hiring that they will get to work in the industry they want to when you end up putting them somewhere else.

"Crappy pay for mind numbing work"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Boston, MA
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Boston, MA

I worked at JOHNLEONARD (Less than a year)

Pros

I got relatively consistent offers for jobs. One person there was nice. It was interesting to work in different fields. But this isn't specific to John Leonard; you'll get these experiences working any temp job.

Cons

They only paid $10 or $11 an hour. It was all convention work or glorified receptionist work. My rent is $850 a month. I once got an offer to work as an office manager for a few weeks, for $10 an hour. The normal wage for the person who actually has the job, I found out, was $25 an hour. Not worth it. I also got a crappy offer to work for 4 hours a day at minimum wage, when the office was a 45 minute commute on the unreliable green line from where I live. Not very understanding; naggy, judgemental employees. Also, they lost my check once and then took $40 out of it to reprint it. From that point on, I only picked them up in the office.

Advice to Management

Pay your temps better. You will get higher quality temps if you actually offer a liveable wage and vet them better.

4. "Temp/Contract/Direct Hire"

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Uxbridge, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Uxbridge, MA

I worked at JOHNLEONARD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they are good at matching job to employer's requirements. If you live close to or in Boston they probably have lot more to offer.

Cons

If Boston is a far commute, jobs are few and far between. Seem more employer oriented than employee.

5. "Temp worker"

Former Employee - Temp Worker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Temp Worker in Boston, MA

Pros

I love this company never had a problem with the and all the staff are amazing

Cons

I wasn't hired permanent...but other than that good work invirohment

Advice to Management

None

"Pleasant people and workplaces, lots of communication - but low pay, and no permanent position yet"

Current Employee - Temporary in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Temporary in Boston, MA

I have been working at JOHNLEONARD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was available 5 full days a week, John Leonard was able to find me positions to fill most of my time. Most were positions of one to a few months duration (long enough to get a sense for a workplace) and most were reasonably challenging jobs in which I was able to pick up some new skills or hone the ones I already had. In my experience, if you keep in contact with them, they will keep in communication with you and keep you in work, and are pleasant and appreciative of a job well done, as well.

Cons

My pay has reliably been only $8-12/hr depending on the job, and in spite of the claim that a good number of jobs might yield a permanent position, this has not happened for me. Of the 10 or so fellow John Leonard temps I've gotten to know, only 3 have landed a permanent job through a temp position. However, I believe this is simply a mark of the economy and the times - it's often cheaper for companies to maintain a revolving stable of temps than hire permanent personnel for entry-level jobs.

"it has been very good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

John Leonard is a small business that listend. Every employee has a voice and is accomodated to hightlight his or her strengths.

Cons

Company size is the only downfall that I can come up with, but that only applies to those looking to work within a large company.

8. "Great place to work"

Pros

Friendly staff, easily accessible, professional.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about John Leonard.

9. "Finds jobs quickly but very low pay and very poor benefits"

I have been working at JOHNLEONARD full-time

Pros

They find you temp assignments very quickly

Cons

They pay very low ($14/hr) compared to most temping agencies (and very low for market rate as well), and even below some states' minimum wage! Also, their "benefits" are almost non-existent, especially compared to what other staffing agencies offer: for example, you don't get any paid holidays until you've worked with them for a year, and you need to work 30 hours in the week prior to the holiday in order to get paid for it (other agencies require only 6 months, and that you work the business day immediately before and after the holiday to get paid for it). This is misleading because the benefits listed on their website imply that you start off with a set number of paid holidays, and that you can earn MORE if you meet the hours threshold. You also earn only the bare minimum of sick time- only what's required by MA law (1 day for every 2 months you work full-time, roughly), and you don't get any vacation/personal days (you do get a very small 'vacation bonus' if you work enough hours in a 6 month period, but I'd rather get an actual day off). I think they do this because most people are probably only employees of JL for less than a year before they find a direct-hire position, so by having such high thresholds they don't end up having to provide much paid holiday time at all, sort of like how Walmart doesn't provide employees with full-time shifts, so that they can avoid providing benefits. I'm sure it's very profitable for JL, but it's bad optics nonetheless.

Advice to Management

If you can afford to give raises (even $.50/hour) when an employee is consistently requested, that would be great, or if you can offer a couple days worth of PTO that employees can start using within the first 6th months, it would greatly increase morale. Having such little paid sick time, and having a 3-month waiting period to use it only encourages employees to come to work when they're sick/contagious, which is bad for both the employee and their coworkers.

"Pros and Cons"

Pros

They have plenty of client contacts. They are able to get you work, but the pay rate is often just above minimum wage, even if you have a college degree and 10+ years of experience.

Cons

Very low payrates; they are paying the same rates that temporary agencies paid 20 years ago.