JOOR Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
JOOR CEO Kristin Savilia
Kristin Savilia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Because of this I was able to see all that it took to be part of a fast growing startup and learn a lot in a short span of time" (in 6 reviews)

• "There were frequent company lunches, breakfasts, and happy hours" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "While it's much better now under new management, work-life balance is still a work in progress" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best career move I've made"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

## A+++ culture
    JOOR has some of the friendliest, most passionate, welcoming and good-natured people I've ever met. Within a week of starting I felt like I had made some lasting friendships, and months later I still feel that way. I love working at a place with people who are down to do karaoke, board game night, happy hours (with beer pong in the office), rock climbing, hiking trips, baseball games, lunch/dinner outings -- and plan and organize everything themselves. JOOR has that startup scrappy-ness to its people and culture that comes out in both work and play.

## Growth opportunities
    In addition to getting the opportunity to work with new (and some bleeding-edge) technologies like GraphQL, Kubernetes, React, Django, Postgres, AWS, Terraform, and Docker, there are just generally so many growth opportunities that come from working here. Cross-functional teams plus the ability and desire to experiment and fail fast make it possible (and necessary) to learn things quickly and share knowledge effectively. Tech leadership genuinely cares about the happiness of each team member and actively encourages us to try out different things (by doing rotations on other teams) and take on leadership responsibilities. Plus getting to pair-program with and learn from crazy smart engineers with diverse areas of expertise is a huge bonus!

## Tech stack
    Where else has an amazing startup culture AND you get to work with GraphQL, Kubernetes, React, Django, Postgres, AWS, and Docker?!

## Leadership
    Kristin is awesome -- super down-to-earth, candid, and just basically a kick-butt inspiring female CEO. She and Derek, the CTO, both demonstrate on a daily basis their commitment to building a diverse and inclusive company, which is just one more reason I'm proud to work here.

I could go on and on... but TL;DR is: I love working here!

Cons

I literally have no complaints

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!

"Great opportunity to work with a talented team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at JOOR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

JOOR has a great company culture (they value employees!) with a lot of dedicated & bright people. They value diversity, inclusion and transparency for employees. The company also really values their customers and the teams are all very motivated to make a difference.

There are fun events and a cool office space that's pretty centrally located. The kitchen is stocked with snacks and they have regular happy hours in the office.

As a former employee I would definitely recommend JOOR as a quality place to work where you can learn a lot and be a part of disrupting the wholesale and retail industries.

Cons

I don't really have any cons because honestly I can't think of any for a prospective employee who doesn't mind working hard and who tries really hard.

It can be stressful but if you care about your own personal performance..it's going to be stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees and setting the bar high! Kristin (CEO) is an amazing leader and has energized the company.

3. "Good leadership and supportive group"

I have been working at JOOR full-time

Pros

Everyone is very helpful and collaborative

Cons

there are lots of hats to wear

4. "Home"

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Management is good to us

5. "Engineer"

I worked at JOOR full-time

Pros

flexible, people are nice

Cons

unorganized, not much space for career development

JOOR Response

Jun 12, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for your feedback! I’m not sure when you were on JOOR’s Engineering team but we have significantly grown the team in the last year and redone many of our processes. On the team side, we... More

"JOOR is the place to build something great!"

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, Collaborative, driven team
    Positive company momentum
    Motivating office environment -- we are building something we all believe in!

Cons

Its a startup, but we are implementing structure and process. Its just taking some growing pains...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Love the transparent and approachable nature of our leaders

"Happy to be here & excited for what's ahead!"

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Our global team is comprised of compassionate, smart, dependable and driven people. From the moment I joined, I’ve felt so supported because of how willing everyone is to spend time with me and answer any questions I have. Not only demonstrating one of our core values of teamwork & collaboration but also showcasing how invested everyone is in your individual growth, which translates to the company’s growth.

- The leadership team truly values your opinion and feedback. It feels really good to be heard regardless of your tenure during meetings, standups and 1:1’s, which then turn into actionable improvements (when warranted) within the organization.

- Individual, team and company goals are clear from the beginning. The leadership team, especially Kristin do a great job keeping everyone informed via email announcements & monthly all-hands meetings.

- The culture is very friendly and inclusive. JOOR does a great job ensuring you feel welcomed from day-1 and empowered to contribute to the culture. Since joining, folks have introduced dodgeball, board game and trivia nights, as well as boba tea and xian group runs. As people join, the team bonding initiatives only grow and it's awesome to see personal interests blending into the mix.

Cons

Not necessarily a con in my opinion but surfacing for others thinking about joining. There is a lot of ambiguity and leveling up that comes when joining a startup. We have some processes in place and are currently creating more, but they’re everchanging. It can be frustrating at times but in the end, we’re working collectively to understand how we can keep improving. Ultimately, that ambiguity welcomes more opportunity to take initiative and really implement positive change to be built upon.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in JOOR's people and sending surveys to get a pulse check! Our feedback driven culture is super refreshing. Lastly, continue advancing JOOR's position in the market to become the de facto platform in the entire wholesale industry.

"Love working at JOOR"

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great culture: this company really cares about its employees. Regular company events, relevant lunch and learns to help us keep up on the latest tech trends and teams are encouraged to have fun at work.
    - Results focused: clear direction that the whole company can get behind, the strategic goals were clearly laid out and we all understand why they are important to the success of JOOR.
    - World class executive leadership: They all have a no bullsh*t approach, none of them are afraid to make a tough decision, they are confident but not arrogant, these are the leaders you want to learn from, as an employee, you can’t ask for a better group of executives.
    - Passionate colleagues: almost everyone I have worked with will give 110% of their effort, these are colleagues who are passionate about making sure the job gets done!
    - Young, vibrant and innovative: love the energy of a young office, there is a “world is your oyster attitude” and a willingness to innovate.

Cons

Being a young company also means certain people in the organization who have been bestowed their management position from the old regime (esp a handful of directors) probably do not have enough experience to take on that leadership role. If you do end up on an initiative with one of these inexperience leaders, it can be a bit frustrating, as teams often will have to rally overtime to compensate for their mismanagement. These directors need to learn from the examples set by the executive team, and they can start by improving their communication skills and turning down the arrogance.

Advice to Management

We can improve by putting in more experienced leadership that can execute on JOOR’s strategic vision. We need experienced leaders that understands how to effectively organize our day to day with processes that makes sense. It looks like this is starting to happen, so a positive sign that execs are already on top of this problem.

So overall, keep up the good work! It has been refreshing to see all the positive transformations that has happened. Excited for 2018, love working at JOOR!

"JOOR is taking it's best step forward, and it's paying off."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture, culture, culture! I am fairly new, but the tides have certainly shifted from the bad reviews I read on Glassdoor prior to joining. Those reviews honestly almost turned me away on many occasions, but I'm glad I took the step to come in, see it for myself, and see the contagious environment firsthand. If you are like me, give it a chance, trust your gut, and you won't regret it. The culture is inclusive, fun, and empowers everyone to be their best self. This is a place you come to learn new things, flourish, and leave your mark. From an engineering standpoint, TDD and pairing are the norm. The structure is very flat, and all are invited to influence positive change, regardless of title – whether that means an architectural suggestion, taking over a project, or a simple code change.

- This new C-level team (CEO/CPO/CTO, etc), know how to build a thriving culture, and have a wealth of experience implementing scalable, successful products. One can see the investment over the last few months, both in the business and the people that make up JOOR. Much has gone into ensuring a solid foundation for this startup to exponentially scale and grow. Kudos to management for huge wins in this area so far.

- The product! This is a product one can believe in. It has a strong value prop, and focuses on doing the best to solve our clients' needs. Through the steadily growing teams of engineers, product managers, etc, that are invested in ensuring this product's success, we will dominate this market.

Cons

No place is perfect, but no concerns worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, people are excited, feel valued, and its contagious.

"Positive change is underway & it is working"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After 6 years, JOOR is a company that had much success but faced some hard truths underpinning the change that is underway:

1. JOOR has an innovative product. While imperfect like most startups, the company offers a platform that the market demands and is the best available. That is a tremendous advantage.

2. Early in 2017, ownership determined that leadership personnel changes were needed in order to realize the great potential of JOOR. We have a new, accomplished CEO who has built out a leadership team that is experienced and has a history of success. She promotes a vibe that is positive and employees are reacting favorably to the new levels of transparency and strategic clarity.

3. There's some uncomfortableness that occurs when we are challenged by change, but JOOR strives to be the best and those uncertain feelings subside as people see the strategy working and regain trust.

4. JOOR fosters a culture of collaboration and is keenly aware that tech is ultra competitive when you want to retain the best talent. This requires a huge effort to maximize meeting business demands, career development, and work/life balance. The company sincerely wants its employees to find satisfaction in all three areas.

5. The NYC HQ location is near Penn Station and ideal for most who commute to NYC. The office space has a bright, tech feel and energy befitting its employees. The company is upgrading its offices in locations outside NYC as well.

Cons

Startups typically lack structure, process definition, and unclear strategic focus. It can be frustrating. JOOR is addressing each of these areas.

The new leadership team must convince a group of dedicated, smart employees who built something cool that it is ready and able to go to the next level.

Advice to Management

Trust has to be earned. You are off to a really good start. Keep hiring great talent and maintain transparency.