JOOR Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
JOOR CEO Kristin Savilia
Kristin Savilia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • s a fast-paced environment, but all employees are willing to roll-up their sleeves and really help you out (in 6 reviews)

• There are tremendous opportunities to reshape the industry through the analysis of trends and connection of brands and retailers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • While it's much better now under new management, work-life balance is still a work in progress (in 8 reviews)

• The long hours can get to some, you have to be ready to commit (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Shaping the technology in the wholesale industry"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

JOOR allows me to take initiative in my role, and fulfill responsibilities beyond what's expected.
    As a QA engineer I get the satisfaction of triaging issues, but also help minimize potential bugs, whether it's through building automation or analyzing edge cases. I work right alongside our product owners and developers to constantly ensure the success of our releases. The team is constantly fostering an environment of open conversation/discussion that often leads to new ideas and meaningful changes. I believe we are at the forefront of helping shape what technology means for the wholesale industry. Each individual at the company brings endless enthusiasm and it is encouraging to be surrounded by people that are not only capable, but people who genuinely care.

Cons

We never compromise when it comes to hiring, and because exceptional candidates are hard to come by, the team isn't always able to scale in resources to the amount of work that needs to be done. This leads to a fast pace environment, which also leads to longer hours at times. It takes a little getting used to, but it is within expectations.

Advice to Management

Please continue being transparent with us how the company is doing and encouraging us to constantly learn and grow!

Jan 8, 2017

Thank you for the feedback! We have high standards for the team because you deserve to work with people with the same amount of passion, motivation and technical skills. We are super focused on... More

"Positive change is underway & it is working"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After 6 years, JOOR is a company that had much success but faced some hard truths underpinning the change that is underway:

1. JOOR has an innovative product. While imperfect like most startups, the company offers a platform that the market demands and is the best available. That is a tremendous advantage.

2. Early in 2017, ownership determined that leadership personnel changes were needed in order to realize the great potential of JOOR. We have a new, accomplished CEO who has built out a leadership team that is experienced and has a history of success. She promotes a vibe that is positive and employees are reacting favorably to the new levels of transparency and strategic clarity.

3. There's some uncomfortableness that occurs when we are challenged by change, but JOOR strives to be the best and those uncertain feelings subside as people see the strategy working and regain trust.

4. JOOR fosters a culture of collaboration and is keenly aware that tech is ultra competitive when you want to retain the best talent. This requires a huge effort to maximize meeting business demands, career development, and work/life balance. The company sincerely wants its employees to find satisfaction in all three areas.

5. The NYC HQ location is near Penn Station and ideal for most who commute to NYC. The office space has a bright, tech feel and energy befitting its employees. The company is upgrading its offices in locations outside NYC as well.

Cons

Startups typically lack structure, process definition, and unclear strategic focus. It can be frustrating. JOOR is addressing each of these areas.

The new leadership team must convince a group of dedicated, smart employees who built something cool that it is ready and able to go to the next level.

Advice to Management

Trust has to be earned. You are off to a really good start. Keep hiring great talent and maintain transparency.

"New CEO brings hope but company has bad bones"

I worked at JOOR full-time

Pros

-New CEO and management team brings fresh ideas, new motivation, and a welcome breath of fresh air.
    -The product is cool and innovative, at least in theory.
    -People are fun and the new management team does a great job of keeping morale up.

Cons

-Middle level management are all called "Directors" but they have very little management experience between them. They are very knowledgeable and good at what they do but they are far from good managers.
    -The product has several destructive flaws. Last I know, the new management team is working very hard to fix these issues but it may be too late.
    -Related to the last point, many teams put in a lot of extra time because the product has several flaws. While it's much better now under new management, work-life balance is still a work in progress. Expect working on some weekends and the extra hour or two a day.
    -No clear career paths. You have a job and you can work towards raises and bonuses but you won't know what your next step in your career is.
    -In my opinion, compensation is not competitive and not representative of all the time you'll put in.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing and maybe you can reverse all the bad that is left over by the last management team. Hire some real Directors or invest in your current managers. Your people need real leadership that doesn't necessarily come with people who know the product best.

"Company Culture"

I worked at JOOR full-time

Pros

Fast pace, Culture is still developing, leaders are great

Cons

Turn over is quick, lots of people in and out, software is crap

"Can I give zero stars?"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
    Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at JOOR full-time

Pros

Literally not a single one.

Cons

This is the most god-awful place to work on earth. All those glowing review? Fake. Turnaround rate is wildly high and management lovesss to say that those who leave "just weren't JOOR material". Sure, okay. No work-life balance because you are expected to work insane hours for low pay. They treat you like you are human garbage. How is this company still functioning? Literally do not apply here, and for god's sake, do not accept a job here.

Jul 10, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback and it's unfortunate that you did not have a positive experience working at JOOR. We have worked really hard as a company to grow our company culture through the help of... More

"Dreadful"

I worked at JOOR full-time

Pros

- The product is interesting and the company has attracted a great set of well-known brands
    - Engineering team has strong leadership and is making real progress
    - There are some very bright and passionate people at the company that go above and beyond

Cons

I was there during the time of the former CEO and Founder, and I believe she has now been let go. The company that I know was utterly dreadful and one that left the majority of its employees completely miserable. Lets get specific:
    - The culture is fundamentally broken, where the CEO created an atmosphere of constant fear, leaving employees constricted in their development
    - There is no strategy or direction. The company focuses on minute details, spends a ridiculous amount of time on small, unprofitable deals and doesn’t really value Sales as a function. Result? Plodding growth.
    - Work flexibility – there isn’t any. The unspoken code at JOOR is that if you leave before 7, you’re sneered at. There’s no flexibility to get your work done from home occasionally. They completely DO NOT get the small things that matter to employees. The stock line is ‘well, this is a startup’ or ‘it’s hard work changing an industry’ – a pathetic and patronizing response
    - Barely any tenured staff at the company, presumably because anyone with real experience takes a look and runs a mile
    - Lack of positivity – employees aren’t encouraged or empowered, and regular catiness within customer/retail services teams is a virus that runs deep

What is unbelievably frustrating about JOOR is that despite the consistent negative feedback from former employees, the company refuses to look in the mirror and address the issues. This is shown no better than in the arrogant, argumentative responses to Glassdoor posts like this one. I really hope things have changed with the new CEO because there are some bright people there that deserve better. Be incredibly watchful if you interview, because you WILL be miserable if things haven’t changed.

Advice to Management

- Reinvent the culture and make employees feel valued
    - Be open, transparent and listen to employee feedback and then actually act on it
    - Focus on building a Sales team and develop strategic partnerships

Jul 10, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for the feedback and we are sorry that you did not have a positive experience when you were working at JOOR. Currently JOOR is under new leadership and we have have been hard at work on key... More

"Best Company I've Worked For!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I worked at JOOR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, who genuinely care about the product as well as their teammates Constantly surrounded by individuals who push themselves to make the company and product better as a whole.

Cons

It is hard to think of a particular con. I consider myself lucky to have had such a great experience so early in my career.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart people who will make JOOR a great place to work, and keep driving to build the best wholesale marketplace!

"Retail Success Team"

I have been working at JOOR full-time

Pros

I started at JOOR working with our Brand clients, but now I focus on the Retail side of the business. The Retail Success Team is like a mini startup within JOOR since we are focusing on building a new revenue stream. The Retail Success team forces you to be extremely entrepreneurial. Every day is different. One day we are selling to high profile retailers (both domestically and internationally), and the next we are running change management for a billion dollar company. The exposure to the Product and Integrations team is great and those teams help facilitate growth of this platform. The learning curve here is steep, so if you are looking for a challenge this is the place for you. If you are up to the challenge, you have the opportunity to change the way the entire wholesale industry works.

Cons

Finding talent for this team has been challenging since we are looking for people who are scrappy, entrepreneurial, want to learn how to manage a business, and have a strong drive. Also I would say cross functional communication and too many meetings is something we definitely need to work on.

Advice to Management

Hire only people who want to learn by rolling up their sleeves and want to be hands on. We want more passionate people!

"Engineering @ JOOR"

I have been working at JOOR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-A lof of freedom and autonomy. We make decisions together, the VP of Engineering does not leave anyone out.
    -We do not compromise on the quality of the code.
    -The team is laid back and really laser focused.
    -Although we are a distributed team, we are still very collaborative.

Cons

-We do have legacy code that we are dealing with, but we are looking at ways to replace this.

Advice to Management

Code Review process is really working to keep our standards high. It might help if tickets can be described visually to help with building out features.

"Culture of Movement & Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at JOOR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JOOR has afforded me the opportunity to grow immensely in the last year and a half. The company really supports a "culture of movement”, encouraging current employees to apply for open positions or creating positions for employees when possible. This "movement" allows employees to take on new responsibilities, expand their technical skills, and make a bigger impact.

Being on the Data Team has allowed me to see the business from a completely different perspective. I'm more involved in projects about scalability and transforming our team to meet JOOR's evolving business model. The Data Team is a very fast paced team where you have the opportunity to grow your technical skills. Along with technical skills, you also have the ability to improve your client service skills by interacting with our Brand and Retail clients everyday. It's an exciting group to be a part of.

I have been able to significantly improve my SQL and Excel skills, as well as my general understanding of how our database is structured. This role is very cross-functional and the team frequently interacts with Engineering, Product, Integrations, and Client Success teams. With this strong team dynamic I am getting a very solid understanding of how every team at JOOR works together to drive the business forward. At JOOR collaboration is highly regarded and allows all team members to get insight on how each team operates and what it needs to succeed.

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, love team work, collaboration, and more importantly are looking to make an impact, then this is the place for you!

Cons

Its important to develop strong prioritization and communication skills at JOOR. The environment is very fast-paced which is exciting, but you need to know how to prioritize. Constant communication with managers and clarification on priorities will ensure you are successful!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire strong talent. The teams are getting better everyday!

Jan 26, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your post! We at JOOR are really pushing the bar to build the strongest Data Services and Data Analytics Team. With each new team member our team is getting stronger and better. We have... More