JPL Integrated Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Luke Kempski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not perfect, but still a great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The hours are pretty consistent. Sure, there are the occasional 50+ hour weeks, but when those happen, management is really good about pushing for more balance. It is an agency, after all, so when you’re on a deadline, sometimes you’ll have to work late or take work home; however, in my experience, management is quick to offer financial perks (gift cards, those JPL chip thingies, etc.) and offer the ability to leave early if you’ve been working crazy hours. They really want you to succeed and, in an industry with a lot of turnover, they really want you to stick around.

2. This is the most progressive, family-oriented organization I’ve ever worked at, and I’ve worked at other agencies and major corporations. The benefits for new mothers (ability to bring your child in for a few months after birth), the flexibility for working parents, the work from home policy — these are things that a working parent can only dream of at other companies. JPL isn’t pushing to be your family, like some other agencies in the area. There’s never a 50/50 work-life balance with any organization, but JPL really does try to help you right the scales.

3. The workflow is very organized and structured, especially compared to other marketing agencies. There's a formula for how work gets done at JPL and it makes it clear what your responsibilities are and when to raise a red flag -- people aren't running around in a panic trying to figure out how to produce what they sold the client.

4. The leaders in the company are quick to check themselves and note when things aren’t going as smoothly as possible. There’s a true open door policy here, and management is always open to feedback and opportunities to improve. That level of transparency and openness is refreshing.

Cons

1. Salaries are not competitive, not even for this market. When bills need to be paid, it can be tempting to look around at other opportunities. Despite this, the 401K contribution and profit sharing are great benefits. Sometimes the profit share can pad your salary nicely.

2. It can be hard to move up the ladder here. Maybe things have changed since I worked at JPL, but the previous HR manager made it clear that they promote based on years of experience within the company, whereas my manager was pushing for my promotion based on my contributions to the team. In the end, I left because talent and contributions should be weighted more heavily than years within a company. It can be a real letdown to see people that don’t work as hard or contribute as much get senior, manager and director titles just because “it’s their time.” I’ve never seen this happen anywhere else, but I truly hope that this has changed at JPL.

Despite these cons, I've recommended and will continue to recommend JPL to others looking to get into marketing and advertising -- especially entry-level employees and interns.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for mid-level employees, and be sure to differentiate entry-level salaries from those with years of experience.

Continue to be open to improvements and to listening to your employees. JPL is truly something special.

Dec 6, 2017 – JPL Admin

We really appreciate your honest feedback. This will be reviewed by our leadership team to continue to better ourselves and our working environment here at JPL. Thanks for contributing!

"Move On - You will be happier elsewhere"

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Soft benefits:
    salad bar
    team activities
    good health benefits

Cons

Older employees are hostile to new employees
    Strong Cliques
    Focus is on moving clients through, not quality
    Employee's past experience is never used, they do not engage team in strategies beyond those in a certain clique. Issues develop since managers are not open minded at the beginning which could avoid missteps
    Sexual harassment issues - management unresponsive
    Employee growth takes a back seat to short term profit
    Poor Compensation
    Management rather not rock the boat than deal with issues
    Some managers promoted from within with little past management experience
    Hostility between departments
    No Diversity - negative comments or jokes when a person of color is hired. People of color never seem to stay at the company. Company blames it on the area even though other employers have much more diversity in the area.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, allow seasoned new employees to provide input. Deal with issues when they arise instead of hiding them.

Dec 18, 2017 – JPL Admin

We’re disappointed by this post because it is not at all reflective of JPL. We welcome anyone evaluating JPL as a potential workplace to link with and talk to any of our employees. We’re confident... More

3. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time

Pros

good culture if you are a people person
    good management

Cons

need to fit their mold in order to advance (i guess this is kind of the norm with any company)
    pay is ok

Oct 17, 2017 – JPL Admin

Thanks for your review. We appreciate all feedback and take it seriously when looking at ways to improve our workplace for our team members.

4. "People Focused Business"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

JPL is very friendly to its employees in terms of work/life balance. Since we're in the world of marketing and advertising, yes there will be tough deadlines and late nights or early mornings every so often. For the most part, though, we get to come in at a decent time and leave in time to cook dinner and spend time with family.

The diversity of work and clients we get to experience here is awesome. It really keeps me enthusiastic about my job because no two days are the same.

Lastly, having worked on the corporate side, I can say employees here are extremely lucky to have the transparency into the business health and outlook. We get updates on this at every staff meeting and I feel like we are always able to ask questions. This helps us as employees understand the impact we're making on the overall business.

Cons

There are few cons. If you know this market, you know it's not NYC or Philly or LA, so the salaries are not going to be of that nature either. I think the company lowballs young, entry-level employees to see who is hungry.

Advice to Management

I would say don't grow too fat around the middle. I would also encourage JPL to really focus managers as managers of people and not just more doers who happen to manage a team. The team gets the short end of the stick when that happens.

Oct 17, 2017 – JPL Admin

Thanks for your review. We are actively pulling these comments into our discussions as we look to improve areas of our business for our employees. Your comments matter and we appreciate your thoughts.

5. "Awesome place to work"

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time

Pros

Everyone is passionate and cares about the work they're doing. Managers genuinely want everyone to succeed and supply you with the tools to do it. Creative work environment, and values innovation.

Cons

It is a very structure work place, which can be a con if you don't like that.

Oct 10, 2017 – Digital Content Producer

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate your honest feedback and are actively taking a look at comments to see how we can continually improve our workplace and culture.

6. "great company"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay attention to what employees say and are transparent around where the company is going. Profit share is good. You get a training budget to stay on top of learning about your craft, and there is a sense that you can affect the company through the relationships you have with clients and each other. I've stayed here as long as I have because the work is interesting, everyone is fair and the people are great.

You can work from home and there's flexibility in schedules so that you don't live at the office. The bring your baby to work program is helpful to new moms, too. Pretty even split of women-men in most roles.

Cons

Getting in the door can take a while and they are careful about who they hire. Clients are demanding.

Oct 10, 2017 – Digital Content Producer

Many thanks for your review. We appreciate your comments!

7. "Great company"

Pros

Great company that cares about its employees
    Great talent working within the company

Cons

Sometimes when big projects come there seems to not be enough time to complete all of the work.

Oct 10, 2017 – Digital Content Producer

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and will take these thoughts into account as we strive to constantly make our business a better place to work.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Great casual environment, nice people, fun employee learning campaigns (TED talks at lunch, Employee Short Film festivals and much more), extremely smart coworkers, true team environment, caring management, 14 years making the Best Places to Work List, and finally truly a fun environment. Its truly one of the best companies I have worked with. Company has a salad bar Monday through Thursday to encourage healthy eating. They also pick a take out restaurant daily to coordinate orders so that employees can get lunch faster and easier. When its sunny people will be walking outside during lunch or playing Four Square. Other times, employees are playing ping pong during lunch. Always ways to become closer as a group at JPL.

Other reviews seem to have been people who did not fit in with the work hard - play hard culture of JPL. Working in this competitive field requires individuals who turn work around quickly and cost effectively by understanding the client's needs quickly and working well with others as a team.

Cons

They have set my standards for a dream job too high (that's good).

Advice to Management

Keep valuing employees and looking for ways to grow the business while encouraging employees to add new skills in the fast paced market.

"Account Rep"

Former Employee - Marketing Professional in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Professional in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a great place to learn best practices. They are a very process driven and produce some amazing work. Staff really tries to push the boundaries when it comes to creative. There is a sense of collaboration and idea/creative freedom. Personally, I felt my ideas had value and they listened. It is a fun place to work and designed well for younger audiences.

Management is smart. Very seasoned marketing people who know how to set up a successful organization that will be around for a long time. I am thankful for the time I spent there. I just spent too much time before moving on.

Cons

There seems to be more focus on the monetary values of the business than doing the right thing. Legacy employees of early JPL years remember when the focus was on doing the right thing for our clients.

Instead of doing what is sometimes best for the client, it's often about what is the most billable. Individual billable percentages directly connects to your raises and your future value. This leads to either over billing the clients or over estimating projects or campaigns. While this is not discussed in-house, it is done often.

Upward mobility within the company is virtually nonexistent. There are a few examples of young staff after 10+ years moving up one level. The culture is focused too much on the work place fun instead of helping actual staff members create a fair wage and long term career with this company. They sell the company on the fun culture and hope you don't notice the low pay, long hours and minimal raises.

In short, if you're young, come in, learn, gain experience and move on. Invest no more than 5-years here and don't be tempted by all the "fun."

Advice to Management

Management should understand that employees are not a commodity. They have future ambitions. They will work hard for you and work extra hours if needed. They want to find a place that actually values them as individuals who will grow with the company. Also, cut back on the shinny fun stuff and stop caring about the Best Places to Work awards. Theses awards seem to matter more to management than the staff.

"Truly a great place to work."

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at a number of marketing organizations, and JPL is a rare find in the industry.

For me, it starts with the leadership. JPL is led by people who actually care about their employees. In an industry notorious for sweatshop work environments, JPL is a refreshing option. This is due not only to the fun, creative perks provided by the company, but also to the focus that they place on supporting and developing strong employees. And, the leadership is very transparent with employees. Everyone knows where the company stands: the good, the bad and the ugly. That gives teammates a feeling of ownership of the company, which is highly motivating.

In addition, JPL is turning out strategic work unlike any other firm of it's kind in the region. Clients consistently turn to JPL to provide the strategic guidance and direction that they aren't getting from their "big" agencies. That's because JPL has strong, business-minded, strategic staff that understands that it's all about helping clients achieve their goals. This means that JPL is also professionally rewarding to those who are looking to be challenged and grow in their careers.

Lastly, the people of JPL are, for the most part, fully committed to the success of the company, and egos are not a factor. Again, refreshing in this industry. If you've ever worked in an agency where Art Directors tell Account Managers not to talk to them, you know what I mean. The open collaboration at JPL leads to a great working environment, and great work.

Cons

No place is perfect. If someone finds the perfect place, please let me know.
    I could nitpick little things, but that doesn't seem productive, as they are hardly things that affect the overall experience at JPL.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with the team. Continue to reward great employees and provide opportunities for growth.