JPL Integrated Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

JPL Integrated Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2019

4.0
JPL Integrated Communications CEO Luke Kempski (no image)
Luke Kempski
  1. "Fun Culture"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great group of people.

Cons

Not a ton of company holidays. And it's a marketing agency, so you have to deal with that.

JPL Integrated Communications2019-07-06
  2. "Smart and growing!"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong business plan, fun workplace, salad bar, work hard/play hard

Cons

Some big business decisions don't always make sense ot us employees

JPL Integrated Communications2019-06-17
  3. "I've got it all at JPL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The flexible work environment means I can be a great professional and a great parent. My co-workers are passionate and make work fun. Leadership has a growth mindset, make smart decisions and honestly care about employees. Clients are demanding and challenge us to bring it every day, and we do! Seeing what we can achieve for clients is the best part. I have worked client side. I've witnessed the culture at other... agencies. So I can confirm that we really have it good at JPL. I truly enjoy coming to work everyday and being a part of this talented team.

Cons

Depending on the area and the clients, the work-life balance can vary. You also have to be willing to drive your career here. Promotions do not get handed to you. You have to work hard, prove you've got initiative and skills- and create opportunities for yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep us growing and financially strong! Thank you for the flexible work environment and fantastic health benefits!

JPL Integrated Communications2019-02-26

"Work hard, Play hard"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications

Pros

JPL offers some of the best perks I’ve ever seen in a company. Because they are a smaller business, they are able to provide perks like no other. They provide an opportunity to grow in your role, and allow you to make your own success. The benefits here are amazing, the health insurance specifically. The people are fun to be around, and friendly. They offer soft-benefits that come in handy often, such as a food tab.

Cons

No specific cons that are related directly to the company. The Marketing, and Digital Production industry can be a bit fast paced.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees like they matter, this is the strongest part of working here. Emphasize how they matter to the company.

JPL Integrated Communications2018-08-23

"Best Places to work?"

Current Employee - Why Would I Tell You in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun people, flexible work schedule, laid back culture and great place to build a resume.

Cons

There is not room to grow. We are a small company with limited upper level positions, and I hold one of them and have no plans of leaving. We tell our staff there is room to grow but there honestly is not and it is sad to see good employees leave as a result. We have a running joke here "We are the best training facility in Central PA" and its true. We build resumes and after about a year or two the employees... realize it is not possible to climb the ladder and move on to a better location. We are listed as best places to work every year simply because we have a high turn over rate and the new employees are still full of hope until there first year is up. In order to make good money you must reach top level and as I stated there are only a handful of those here at JPL. We have two sister companies that you will more than likely have to do work for and not see much in return. Every year at the staff career checkups we are told as managers to always find something to ding the employee for. This keeps pay increases down while offering a false promise for next year. Most don't last until then. There are a handful of clicky groups here and if you don't fall into one of them don't expect much attention and I am warning you the flexibility of the work schedule will get you. We have a few parents here who cannot leave because of it, it is the one thing that keeps you stuck and does become hard to deal with when you can't pay the bills but can't walk away from the ease of bringing your kid with you or working a day from home. It is very tough. Please remember this warning. You may be wondering why I am telling you this? See my advice to Management

Advice to Management

You must do a better job at keeping the dedicated staff. For as long as I have been with JPL there are only a handful of employees who have been here 10+ years and we are the ones holding those top paying positions. I am tired of seeing amazing employees leave with all the knowledge and skills that sets us apart. But I remember a few years back people were leaving bad reviews and you guys did everything in your... power to remove them and even had our IT department look into it and try find those who posted it so I do not expect you to take this advice to heart. You need to be more competitive with your wages, and you know as well as I that we are not even close to market value it's why we rely on contractors so much. Having little arcade machines in the building and generic benefits that every company offers is not enough for these guys. My team is stressed with the amount of work they have and are stressed about the bills at home. Do better because I know we can do better. Stop being a training facility and be a place those can call a career and second home.

JPL Integrated Communications2018-06-05

June 7, 2018President

We always appreciate feedback on how we’re doing as a workplace and how we can improve our ability to attract and engage talented team members. I’m hopeful that you will come see me to discuss these items or use our many internal channels to provide feedback and ideas on how we can improve. For those reading this review, if you’re interested in learning more about what our team members think about working here, consider contacting them on LinkedIn. You can also contact us and we can introduce you to dozens of team members who have grown their careers at JPL. We’re also willing to share all of the anonymous comments from our Best Places to Work employee surveys that will give you a broader perspective of what employees think about working here. We listen to these comments every year and try to build on our strengths and address areas for improvement.

"A Great Place to Build Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

The support you get from your team members is incredible. It's a family here and we create great work for our clients thanks in part to the positive work environment. And, through the career coaching program, managers work with us to make sure we are evolving and succeeding as professionals and making a difference at JPL!

Cons

Not everyone has the same opportunities for recognition or rewards, depending on the job you do.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging ideas and feedback from the entire team.

JPL Integrated Communications2018-04-04

"Not perfect, but still a great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The hours are pretty consistent. Sure, there are the occasional 50+ hour weeks, but when those happen, management is really good about pushing for more balance. It is an agency, after all, so when you’re on a deadline, sometimes you’ll have to work late or take work home; however, in my experience, management is quick to offer financial perks (gift cards, those JPL chip thingies, etc.) and offer the ability to... leave early if you’ve been working crazy hours. They really want you to succeed and, in an industry with a lot of turnover, they really want you to stick around. 2. This is the most progressive, family-oriented organization I’ve ever worked at, and I’ve worked at other agencies and major corporations. The benefits for new mothers (ability to bring your child in for a few months after birth), the flexibility for working parents, the work from home policy — these are things that a working parent can only dream of at other companies. JPL isn’t pushing to be your family, like some other agencies in the area. There’s never a 50/50 work-life balance with any organization, but JPL really does try to help you right the scales. 3. The workflow is very organized and structured, especially compared to other marketing agencies. There's a formula for how work gets done at JPL and it makes it clear what your responsibilities are and when to raise a red flag -- people aren't running around in a panic trying to figure out how to produce what they sold the client. 4. The leaders in the company are quick to check themselves and note when things aren’t going as smoothly as possible. There’s a true open door policy here, and management is always open to feedback and opportunities to improve. That level of transparency and openness is refreshing.

Cons

1. Salaries are not competitive, not even for this market. When bills need to be paid, it can be tempting to look around at other opportunities. Despite this, the 401K contribution and profit sharing are great benefits. Sometimes the profit share can pad your salary nicely. 2. It can be hard to move up the ladder here. Maybe things have changed since I worked at JPL, but the previous HR manager made it clear... that they promote based on years of experience within the company, whereas my manager was pushing for my promotion based on my contributions to the team. In the end, I left because talent and contributions should be weighted more heavily than years within a company. It can be a real letdown to see people that don’t work as hard or contribute as much get senior, manager and director titles just because “it’s their time.” I’ve never seen this happen anywhere else, but I truly hope that this has changed at JPL. Despite these cons, I've recommended and will continue to recommend JPL to others looking to get into marketing and advertising -- especially entry-level employees and interns.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for mid-level employees, and be sure to differentiate entry-level salaries from those with years of experience. Continue to be open to improvements and to listening to your employees. JPL is truly something special.

JPL Integrated Communications2017-11-22

December 6, 2017JPL Admin

We really appreciate your honest feedback. This will be reviewed by our leadership team to continue to better ourselves and our working environment here at JPL. Thanks for contributing!

"Move On - You will be happier elsewhere"

I worked at JPL Integrated Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Soft benefits: salad bar team activities good health benefits

Cons

Older employees are hostile to new employees Strong Cliques Focus is on moving clients through, not quality Employee's past experience is never used, they do not engage team in strategies beyond those in a certain clique. Issues develop since managers are not open minded at the beginning which could avoid missteps Sexual harassment issues - management unresponsive Employee growth takes a back seat to short... term profit Poor Compensation Management rather not rock the boat than deal with issues Some managers promoted from within with little past management experience Hostility between departments No Diversity - negative comments or jokes when a person of color is hired. People of color never seem to stay at the company. Company blames it on the area even though other employers have much more diversity in the area.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, allow seasoned new employees to provide input. Deal with issues when they arise instead of hiding them.

JPL Integrated Communications2017-12-12

December 18, 2017JPL Admin

We’re disappointed by this post because it is not at all reflective of JPL. We welcome anyone evaluating JPL as a potential workplace to link with and talk to any of our employees. We’re confident you won’t hear these perceptions.

9. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at JPL Integrated Communications full-time

Pros

good culture if you are a people person good management

Cons

need to fit their mold in order to advance (i guess this is kind of the norm with any company) pay is ok

JPL Integrated Communications2017-10-12

October 17, 2017JPL Admin

Thanks for your review. We appreciate all feedback and take it seriously when looking at ways to improve our workplace for our team members.

10. "People Focused Business"

Pros

JPL is very friendly to its employees in terms of work/life balance. Since we're in the world of marketing and advertising, yes there will be tough deadlines and late nights or early mornings every so often. For the most part, though, we get to come in at a decent time and leave in time to cook dinner and spend time with family. The diversity of work and clients we get to experience here is awesome. It really... keeps me enthusiastic about my job because no two days are the same. Lastly, having worked on the corporate side, I can say employees here are extremely lucky to have the transparency into the business health and outlook. We get updates on this at every staff meeting and I feel like we are always able to ask questions. This helps us as employees understand the impact we're making on the overall business.

Cons

There are few cons. If you know this market, you know it's not NYC or Philly or LA, so the salaries are not going to be of that nature either. I think the company lowballs young, entry-level employees to see who is hungry.

Advice to Management

I would say don't grow too fat around the middle. I would also encourage JPL to really focus managers as managers of people and not just more doers who happen to manage a team. The team gets the short end of the stick when that happens.

JPL Integrated Communications2017-10-10

October 17, 2017JPL Admin

Thanks for your review. We are actively pulling these comments into our discussions as we look to improve areas of our business for our employees. Your comments matter and we appreciate your thoughts.

Found 22 reviews