JR Simplot Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
JR Simplot Chairman Scott Simplot
Scott Simplot

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management doesn't really care about the employees (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, needs more accountability for those who never complete task (in 3 reviews)

1. "This is not the best work experience I've ever had."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great for a temporary position. Free coffee in the breakrooms. Going home at the end of the day was nice.

Cons

Was not given specific job duties. It's hard to know what you are suppose to be doing when they don't tell you exactly what they want done. There are a lot of assumptions being done through management and will get rid of people on made up reasons.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees! Keep in contact with them. I didn't see my boss for 2 months and out of the blue I was doing everything wrong, I guess. People can't know what you want or know what they are doing wrong if you don't tell them.

"Run away"

Current Employee - Packaging B in Caldwell, ID
    Current Employee - Packaging B in Caldwell, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Simplot I am a packaging operator. The pay for an Idaho job is amazing.....but the management is so bad (including all of the upper and lower) its TERRIBLE!!! Run away if you have a family. You'll be a night shift worker for years. And the benefits are garbage. The only advancement opportunity is to kiss...well you know what... and become a supervisor which by the way pay less than an operator position. Run away. Run fast. And don't look back.

Cons

Every week is 60 hours. No time off and the management doesn't care a bit. The union is worse than having Trump and Clinton as our president choices. This job, while the pay is great, is a family killer. Look somewhere else

Advice to Management

Stop everything you do and take classes. You are the worst management I've ever encountered. The job itself is good but the management is so bad I'm willing to take a 50% pay cut and strugg just to not be part of this company.

"Dishonesty rampant from top to bottom"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. The parking lot clears out at 5:00 as most people care about a lot more things than frozen French fries. Vacation hours are good, but you won't feel like they were earned as you'll be hard pressed to find a role that's truly satisfying. But, it's Boise so that's good.

Cons

If you are career minded, beware. If integrity matters to you, beware. If you value innovation and excitement for the products you work on, stay far away. This is a strange company where normal rules of engagement don't always apply, and the culture is a challenge to understand. Your project can be 2 months late and that isn't necessarily a problem. The lack of integrity at all levels will surprise you the most. If the end justify the means, lie about it! It's completely accepted.
    If McDonald's is happy, all is good.

Advice to Management

These guys are in over their heads, not worth the time to give advice.

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Othello, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Othello, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

Can't think of anything good to say.

Cons

1950s style leadership, top down, command and control. Senior leaders are looking for followers. JR would roll over in his grave if he saw how people are treated. Happy to be gone from the company. The only people who stay are those who don't have a choice.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people who do the work, bring integrity back. Management is allowed to operate without regard for others.

5. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Most of management was a joke.

Advice to Management

Get some real professionals to do the job. Not people acting like they are in junior high.

"Good place to work once upon a time"

Former Employee - Factory Worker in Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Factory Worker in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation can be a plus

Cons

Its not what it used to be and is not a good place to consider for a career any longer and after management changes it's only gotten worse. They don't care about people anymore since JR is gone and ethically, upper management knows no bounds if they decide it's your turn to go. Its turned into something that can be abusive and downright hostile and theres no longer anyone you can trust as a mentor.

Advice to Management

Have a process for working with people. You might think you do, but you don't have anything comprehensive anymore.

"Injured on job after 3 years, took a year to get diagnosis, harassed and fired while injured"

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To keep from starving to death.

Cons

Unprofessional, filthy, favoritism, nepotism, poor advancement opportunities, racism, cronyism, high injury rates, harassed for reporting injuries, fired while on leave for work injury surgery, said that I had met a 3 strikes termination policy but couldn't produce records of my three work violations. Young healthy people were constantly getting pneumonia from filthy bacteria infested, black mold encrusted factory at a food plant!

Advice to Management

Have a soul.

"it became a very hostile department"

Former Employee - Accounting Tech II in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Accounting Tech II in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

JR Simplot is a good company,

Cons

Working in the accounts payable department for a very long time, new management and supervisors are very unprofessional letting the dept get out of control

Advice to Management

Stop the hostility and get supervisors in there that understand the different personalities, and do not let favored employees get away with there drama

"Initial employment is fair, but promotions and raises are promised but not delivered."

Former Employee - Operations Support in Lodi, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Support in Lodi, CA

Pros

Immediate holiday pay, medical after 30 days, sick leave and 2 weeks vacation per year to start.

Cons

any safety complaints will lead to retalitory action by management.

Advice to Management

Live up to your responsibilities and promisses

"Told to keep our prospects open"

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for.

Cons

The company has lost total site of the Original founder JR Simplot vison, and values. With that being said in the IT world we are losing many of our most valued employees because they are leaving. The reason is we now have an arrogant HP leadership that want to impose HPs way of doing things which we all know was not successful. The Simplot company goes through an organizational assessment approximately every 10 years to clean house while telling the employees it’s for the future of the company.
    In the IT world they now require degreed individuals and if you do not possess a degree of some sort you will eventually will be terminated and will not have any room for growth. Experience means nothing as they have high paid top level execs in IT with mathematic degrees??? I still don’t get that one. My advice is to be really careful as loyalty and honor are no longer values within the company. One mistake and your fired period. Leadership is out of touch with the realities that lie within the actual plants that make the money and could care less about what the locals think. Also, passion for people has gone completely buy the way side so don’t expect that.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the real people who make the difference and quit hiring arrogance to reflect your goal when all it is, is simply lip service.