JR Simplot Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
JR Simplot Chairman Scott Simplot
Scott Simplot

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management doesn't really care about the employees (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, needs more accountability for those who never complete task (in 3 reviews)

1. "This is not the best work experience I've ever had."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great for a temporary position. Free coffee in the breakrooms. Going home at the end of the day was nice.

Cons

Was not given specific job duties. It's hard to know what you are suppose to be doing when they don't tell you exactly what they want done. There are a lot of assumptions being done through management and will get rid of people on made up reasons.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees! Keep in contact with them. I didn't see my boss for 2 months and out of the blue I was doing everything wrong, I guess. People can't know what you want or know what they are doing wrong if you don't tell them.

2. "HR"

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

Innovative and collaborative culture with great opportunities for career growth and development.

Cons

I really cannot think of any.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on open dialogue and communication with all employees.

"Great company, but a lot of bureaucracy"

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

A lot of good people, decent pay, good benefits, and some good management.

Cons

Very old school and traditional. Many of the groups are siloed and don't work together, creating duplications and confusion. Although the company is large, it often does not provide adequate resources to teams and acts like a much smaller company, which creates many challenges. Currently under a great deal of organizational team and there is a lack of direction, communication, and leadership.

5. "Management"

I worked at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

Great learning environment. Expected to wear multiple hats in order to effectively run a shift. Sink or swim.

Cons

Nothing in particular that doesn't also exist in other food manufacturing environments. Need a thick skin.

6. "Job is great. Income you can actually live off of"

Former Employee - Process Operator in Caldwell, ID
    Former Employee - Process Operator in Caldwell, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The income and benefits are unmatched in Idaho. 3 day weekend every other weekend. All uniforms provided by company. Union options

Cons

Theres an hourly employee vs staff employee vibe. There is one manager that looks for reasons to fire his hourlys so lay low.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Dont give into cronyism with bad employees. Usually if they are judging another employee in your ear it is them who are the problem.

7. "Young division with driven and insightful staff"

I worked at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

Staff is extremely motivated within the Plant Science department. The offices fuel a mindful and focused staff through its minimalism and creature comforts included such as the snack bar. Strong chain of leadership allowing for simple communication and cross collaboration.

Cons

Some inexperience with employees creating conflicts that would be avoided by those more knowledge of business life.

Advice to Management

Lock down a management schematic that allows for the tremendous growth taking place.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - M&M Production Supervisor III in Blackfoot, ID
    Current Employee - M&M Production Supervisor III in Blackfoot, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. Employees are treated well. Opportunity to advance is almost unlimited with college. No college necessary to make great wages for area.

Cons

Political environment must be savy and have common sense. If your not willing to go extra mile might as well try Burger King or some other low money making job.

9. "Simplot Grower Solutions"

Former Employee - SHIPPING/RECEIVING COORDINATOR
    Former Employee - SHIPPING/RECEIVING COORDINATOR

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, benefits, job security, training opportunities.

Cons

Long hours and old school mentality.

10. "Yesterday"

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time

Pros

When I started Simplot was a great place to work. Challenging work, not micro-managed. Reasonable pay and benefits.

Cons

The work load is overwhelming. There is some direction from upper management, but the direction in the trenches is almost non-existent. Just get everything done for everybody.

"Told to keep our prospects open"

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for.

Cons

The company has lost total site of the Original founder JR Simplot vison, and values. With that being said in the IT world we are losing many of our most valued employees because they are leaving. The reason is we now have an arrogant HP leadership that want to impose HPs way of doing things which we all know was not successful. The Simplot company goes through an organizational assessment approximately every 10 years to clean house while telling the employees it’s for the future of the company.
    In the IT world they now require degreed individuals and if you do not possess a degree of some sort you will eventually will be terminated and will not have any room for growth. Experience means nothing as they have high paid top level execs in IT with mathematic degrees??? I still don’t get that one. My advice is to be really careful as loyalty and honor are no longer values within the company. One mistake and your fired period. Leadership is out of touch with the realities that lie within the actual plants that make the money and could care less about what the locals think. Also, passion for people has gone completely buy the way side so don’t expect that.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the real people who make the difference and quit hiring arrogance to reflect your goal when all it is, is simply lip service.