JR Simplot Reviews | Glassdoor

JR Simplot Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management doesn't really care about the employees (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, needs more accountability for those who never complete task (in 3 reviews)

1. "Was a great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at JR Simplot (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse company that is privately held and takes a long term view of its operations. Will work through up and down years.

Cons

Has undertaken a restructuring project that has hurt morale of employees far more than it will improve the operations.

Advice to Management

You should not have taken on the restructuring project without more consideration to the negative impacts on employee morale

"Run away"

Current Employee - Packaging B in Caldwell, ID
    Current Employee - Packaging B in Caldwell, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Simplot I am a packaging operator. The pay for an Idaho job is amazing.....but the management is so bad (including all of the upper and lower) its TERRIBLE!!! Run away if you have a family. You'll be a night shift worker for years. And the benefits are garbage. The only advancement opportunity is to kiss...well you know what... and become a supervisor which by the way pay less than an operator position. Run away. Run fast. And don't look back.

Cons

Every week is 60 hours. No time off and the management doesn't care a bit. The union is worse than having Trump and Clinton as our president choices. This job, while the pay is great, is a family killer. Look somewhere else

Advice to Management

Stop everything you do and take classes. You are the worst management I've ever encountered. The job itself is good but the management is so bad I'm willing to take a 50% pay cut and strugg just to not be part of this company.

"IT takeover"

Current Employee - IT Technical Person in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - IT Technical Person in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The workers and managers within all of the divisions other than Corporate IT do amazing things, produce amazing products and are some of the best people I've ever known.

Cons

Corporate IT management from the top down was taken over by HP management refugees in not-too-subtle coup over the past two years under the guise of "restructuring". Interesting that not a single productive technical came from HP, just a whole lot of mid-management pencil-pushing cronies. At the same time, a lot of top technical talent ran for the door because the "HP Way" management was condescending, out of touch, and only interested in rescuing friends they had left behind at a failed HP. Even worse, large numbers or hard-working lower to mid tech talent is being let go in favor or an ill conceived offshoring strategy.

The environment is toxic and you should stay away unless you have an HP management pedigree.

I'll be moving on as soon as December bonuses are paid, as will I suspect a few others.

Advice to Management

Management at HP failed that company and jumped ship. What makes you think it will be any different here? One definition of insanity is....

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Region Sales Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Region Sales Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working here, it is just not the same company it was when I started. Many changes and not all for the better.

Cons

Production and finance run this company.

"Dishonesty rampant from top to bottom"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. The parking lot clears out at 5:00 as most people care about a lot more things than frozen French fries. Vacation hours are good, but you won't feel like they were earned as you'll be hard pressed to find a role that's truly satisfying. But, it's Boise so that's good.

Cons

If you are career minded, beware. If integrity matters to you, beware. If you value innovation and excitement for the products you work on, stay far away. This is a strange company where normal rules of engagement don't always apply, and the culture is a challenge to understand. Your project can be 2 months late and that isn't necessarily a problem. The lack of integrity at all levels will surprise you the most. If the end justify the means, lie about it! It's completely accepted.
    If McDonald's is happy, all is good.

Advice to Management

These guys are in over their heads, not worth the time to give advice.

7. "Used to be good to work for"

Former Employee - Salaried in Moses Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Salaried in Moses Lake, WA

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When hired along time ago the company loved its workers, took care of us. Good pay good benefits. All gone now.

Cons

Business has gone down hill since founders death. It is all about upper management and not the people now. It is in in constant reorganization mode

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees maybe you won't have near the turn around in the plants

8. "Used to love Simplot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Used to have a passion for people

Cons

Difficult period of 1+ year restructure

9. "Business Analyst Intern"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and work environment.

Cons

Internship was only three months long.

10. "Pallet attendant"

Former Employee - Pallet Attendant in Othello, WA
    Former Employee - Pallet Attendant in Othello, WA

I worked at JR Simplot (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, nice people, and great benefits. I Recommend for an experienced worker that is used to fast-paced work environments.

Cons

Poor communication with HR and white hat supervisors.

11. "associate transformation scientist I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

exciting research, fun team building days, strong effort from HR to assist in individuals professional development

Cons

in my group, poor management and leadership. can not speak for the other groups of the company.