JUST Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
JUST CEO Josh Tetrick
Josh Tetrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Convenient Location in San Francisco" (in 3 reviews)

• "The community of not only entrepreneurs but food scientists, activists, makes the environment pretty diverse" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Promotions at Hampton Creek are only given to Tetrick’s family or those who’ve been around long enough to know where the bodies are buried" (in 9 reviews)

• "scheduling was killer no work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

"great company"

Pros

cool products services and nice people

Cons

scheduling was killer no work life balance

Advice to Management

value your employees

"All hype, toxic culture"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JUST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made the best of it by building personal relationships with whoever I could. Was able to contribute on a very high level, however...

Cons

Upper management doesn't have a clue. Doesn't understand the technology or their market at all, isn't interested in the platforms, either. Draconian rule by the CTO/CFO who is one of the most clueless and ruthless of them all. It seems he's gunning for a fleeting prospect of an IPO and if that fails, a golden parachute. Good luck with all that.

Advice to Management

Management is beyond advice. If they really believed in the mission, they'd be interested in understanding the company's products better, or step aside and allow someone else who does take it from here. No food company has ever been or will ever be successful when: you don't produce your own product - and - allow a design team dictate packaging and logistics for finished goods. I am impressed JUST is still 'in business'.

"Press is Positive but inside the Company is not as good"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JUST full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is amazing and has true impact. It may take a long time but they are determined.

Cons

It is truly amazing how much positive press the CEO receives and how he dupes people. He receives "executive of the year," one day and then is struggling to pay rent and payroll. It is a head shaker for sure.

Advice to Management

The CEO has always been a problem and should go.

"Quality Assurance"

I worked at JUST part-time

Pros

Uplifting and supportive upper management

Cons

Lower management is very hard to collaborate with

"Just was cool but lacked inclusion, and diversity!"

Former Employee - Worker Bee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JUST full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teams, open office space, dogs...lots of great dogs, yummy free lunches, good holiday party, solid, tasty and earth friendly products, benefits, compensation

Cons

Work-past-6 culture so lacked work-life balance at times, erratic tantrums by select leadership members, sometimes a culture of fear was present, some managers lacked people management skills, some people were put into roles they had no experience in, nepotism amongst siblings, bias toward persons with disabilities, not fully transparent from C-level execs and down, some execs will not acknowledge you, performance management was remiss, lay offs occurred to employees that were deemed outspoken or risk-aversed, gossip

Advice to Management

Train your managers to manage people and use an outside unbiased consultant, train managers and people ops on diversity and inclusion (Veterans, persons with disabilities, GLBT, etc) to be more sensitive and compassionate, perform ergo evaluations so people are physically accommodated, provide fans when it is hot inside kitchen which is next to office, implement team building, do more employee engagement and events.

"Don’t believe what you read in Bloomberg"

Pros

Well-meaning group dogged by bitter ex-employees who have an open line to a sympathetic, ruthless reporter who regularly publishes false information. This company has the potential to do big things if they can focus on the tasks at hand.

Cons

Disgruntled former employees manipulating public perception of the company for their own amusement

""Dear Josh""

I worked at JUST full-time

Pros

Sure, there are some of those.

Cons

There are many, but they all share a common ancestor.

Advice to Management

Let’s not kid ourselves, Hampton Creek. The narrative that “it takes a certain type of person to survive here,” or that “not everyone can handle the pace of a demanding startup” is laughably bad PR at best and sociopathic manipulation of good people who know they should probably quit but still feel a modicum of loyalty and need to “prove their dedication” at worst.

Brass tax: It goes without saying that many people with many different experiences across many different disciplines have quit Hampton Creek. Especially over the last twelve months. And no, contrary to the sugarcoating that gets told to the press, it’s not “just like at Apple or Tesla” and it’s not “typical for a young and growing company.” The trends at Hampton Creek should not be normalized, nor should they be compared to successful companies with intelligent and proven leadership. What’s happening at Hampton Creek is a symptom of a very serious disease. And I think we all know what that disease is.

So no, we don’t quit because of the pace. We don’t quit because of the demands. We don’t even quit because “Hampton Creek sucks” because, well, Hampton Creek doesn’t suck, per se. Hell, speaking for myself I very much preferred the pace. I enjoyed the culture. I liked Hampton Creek, and still do. I even miss many people and genuinely wish for nothing but the absolute best for them. Yet, I still quit. Why?

We quit for one reason. All of us. Diverse people. Representing each and every department. Every discipline. Across all skill levels. From little experience in the game to decades of it. Even the so-called “titans of industry,” if you will. All of us walk away for the same reason, and it is time to stop believing these absurd narratives and just admit it: We quit because Josh Tetrick is a lying, manipulative, thin-skinned, attention seeking, reactionary, incompetent, Steve Jobs wannabe who reminds me more and more of a certain "tweeting President" each day, and we all reach a point where we can no longer manage the cognitive dissonance of trying to be a decent person while also enabling a con-man on a daily basis. And that is why people of all shapes and sizes run away from Hampton Creek, never to look back. So let’s cut this “can’t handle the heat” nonsense and, instead, just get your CEO out of the kitchen. “Boom.”

"Prospective Employees: RUN"

I worked at JUST full-time

Pros

Convenient Location in San Francisco
    Generous Pay
    Outstanding coworkers (other than the CEO)

Cons

Josh Tetrick is common thread to all problems plaguing Hampton Creek

Advice to Management

If you are a prospective new hire: RUN. The mission sounds nice, but in reality, this company is just run by a megalomaniacal egomaniac who micromanages employees to the point of tears. When he doesn't get what he wants, he throws a toddler temper tantrum (sometimes for all to see), yelling at innocent employees who try their best to give him their best, rational advice. Don't believe any of the crap the CEO says to the media. Bottom line: if you are rational, sane human being, you will look elsewhere for work.

"Very Dishonest Company"

Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at JUST part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is a progressive startup and I loved that they were vegan.

Cons

Hampton Creek was up to some shady stuff when I first started there during its inception period, and I have no doubt the claims that they're making against this company are at least mostly true. It's hard to write this review because I am vegan and I truly do like the model they created for Hampton Creek, but there are some very dishonest people and practices in place. When I first came on as a "Relationship Specialist" (I handed out samples in many Los Angeles Whole Foods locations), they wanted to make sure that Whole Foods kept them on so they had me drive all around LA and other areas in SoCal to buy out as much of the Just Mayo product as possible. I would come home with hundreds of jars of mayo in my truck and the back of my car. I knew that what was going on was not right, but I thought that the end goal was honorable: to encourage more people to buy cruelty free products. But now that my experience with Hampton Creek is over, I just feel like they were using me to make money.

"Bad management and bad working environment"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at JUST full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a potential to grow with the right management.

Cons

The executives do not have a vision for a future, do not plan any growth strategies, and no stability for employees. There is no retention plan for talent or any career growth opportunities in the company. Employees come and go like its a career fair. CEO doesn't have a plan to improve the bad operation of the company nor do the newly hired executives. The blame game is never ending among the executives. Do not recommend even to my enemies.

Advice to Management

Get a grip!!