JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Wine Guide in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Wine Guide in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with of varied life backgrounds and experiences. Willing to invest into new/older employees so that we get the most out of our work. Team incentives with sprinklings of individual so that we can achieve a synergistic status.

Cons

JUSTIN Vineyards & winery is very far away from most places in Paso (actually the furthest West) and sometimes it takes some effort to plan out my commute, and also does not really allow for saving at the pump. But honestly this is me digging deep to find something.

Advice to Management

I recommend that the managers work together more to accomplish goals. Granted I am on the outside looking in, but there are somethings that take a couple weeks to get working (swipe cards for the clock-in/out system, or company emails set up). But honestly this is me digging deep again to find something.

"Wine Lab Employee"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well know brand.
    50% wines.
    New facilities.
    Fine pay if it is your first working day after college graduation.
    Pretty good benefits.
    Not hard to get hired.

Cons

-Opposite of environmentally friendly, literally cut down thousands of trees and only cared about their image. Turns neighboring farms dry, puts water on the surface for 30% to evaporate.
    -Terrible pay, honestly a slap in the face to everyone working there, except managers. They offered me $13/hr as a lab tech with past experience that paid $18; take it or leave it situation. And the enologists make $15-17
    -Wine will always be the parent companies ugly step child, it’s not “LA” enough for the executives and will treat you like a hillbilly when the make visits.
    -High turnover, 85% of the employees have been there less then a year, they literally had a list of people who “would take your job tomorrow”. No second thought about firing anyone.
    -Huge pay differences between employees and management, with no chance of upward movement. Unless you are an extreme brown noser who doesn’t need money in the mean time.
    -The gossip.
    -They show you how to do three things then complain why all the tasks aren’t done/correct.
    -Does not have the feeling of a winery, instead it feels like a cold corporate factory that only cares about quantity.
    -Has part-time/Interns do the same amount of work as full time, only so they can pay less and no benefits.

Advice to Management

Reward employees with better pay after a year. Spend time on training so you don’t have such a high turnover. Make a company culture other then a corporate factory disguised as a winery.

"Word of Caution"

I have been working at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time

Pros

50% Discount on Justin Wines

Cons

Two words, disposable and structureless. Justin needs to reanalyze calling job titles “internships” most these positions are temporary, seasonal work. They are not educational, nor are they improving skills of graduates from college. Most the work done is similar to a full time position job, simply without the benefits or appropriate pay. I went weeks without seeing my supervisor, without being taught skills, my texts were rarely returned in a respectful amount of time, and I deeply question the safety at Justin. It’s a matter of time before injures occur in the cellar or in the field. Most employees have worked under a year with the company so besides the few spartan people the turn over is painfully apparent. Finally, I often was left with the responsibility of training other interns because full-time employees and supervisors failed to properly train everyone yet demanded for tasks to be completed. There is zero culture is this establishment. Salaried positions seemed obviously overworked, irritated, and vocal about their dislike for their upper management. Justin has very obvious growing pains (pushing more production, more case goods than the current business model can maintain) these issues drive the poor morale of employees. If your looking for a positive, educational experience take caution.

Advice to Management

Lead by example, communicate to your team, make goals and insure you discuss these goals with your team, have the proper materials available & in working order.

"Company Culture is Non-Existent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High product quality
    - Solid medical/dental/vision benefits
    - Discount on wine

Cons

- No collaboration between departments whatsoever; don't let potlucks fool you, there is zero culture at JUSTIN (but there is a lot of gossip)
    - Fear based leadership with little to no performance feedback (good or bad); if a mistake is made there is no analysis and improvement, they will simply replace you
    - None of the employees want to be there and it really shows; this goes for the Wisteria Ln office where all of the admin and Wine Society teams are as well as for the tasting room. New employees are excited and eager, but give it a month or two and the twinkle in the eye is gone. Do yourself a favor and find a job that will pay equally as well as this one, but with a team that actually makes going to work bearable

Advice to Management

Making money is great, and you are good at it. If you paid a quarter of the attention to your employee turnover rate as you do your EBITDA, then the brand would be unstoppable instead of resting on its laurels.

5. "Tasting room/wine society"

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time

Pros

Great wine, beautiful location, comprehensive benefits

Cons

No upward mobility or growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees regularly. Don't put them off when they ask for a moment of your time.

6. "Staff is micro-managed, leadership is fear based. Quality product, respected brand."

Current Employee - Manager in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time

Pros

Entry level positions are an excellent training ground for people looking to learn the wine business from a respected brand
    Product quality is excellent
    Benefits and compensation are excellent for the area

Cons

Managers are not empowered to make decisions
    Mistakes are not allowed
    Culture of fear
    Senior leadership
    Lack of integration between departments
    Communication

Advice to Management

Focus on high level business objectives and stay out of day-to-day management, start respecting the team in Paso Robles

7. "Disappointed"

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely location and new renovation make for a beautiful physical environment. Benefits are pretty good. Discounts on fine wine.

Cons

Office culture is nasty and demeaning. Highly unbalanced treatment of employees within hospitality department. Lots of secretive, negative stuff going on.

Advice to Management

Improve employment culture to one of respect for people.

8. "Good benefits, poor culture"

Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good benefits: reasonably priced health and dental, and free personal trainer
    -friendly employees in local offices

Cons

-little advancement opportunities unless you are willing to move to LA where the parent company, Fiji Water, is stationed
    -segregated employees: each dept sticks together, and doesn't socialize much together

specific to the inventory position:
    -boss and rest of team are all based in LA, while you are alone in Paso trying to do everything by yourself. Makes communication very difficult, and increases job stress dramatically
    -poor work life balance. worked 60 hour weeks ALL the time.

9. "Don't even bother applying"

Former Employee - Hospitality in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Hospitality in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The wine is ok. full benefits after 30 days. Put a lot into the Christmas party.

Cons

Unethical, unorganized, a bunch of people that think they know what there doing but it's all about a social status for the managers

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway since its corporate.

10. "Ok place to work, bought up by roll global last year. great benefits and decent starting pay."

Former Employee - Tasting Room Attendant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Tasting Room Attendant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good starting pay for the area

Cons

Far drive for most people and long hours at times