Jack in the Box Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.4
Leonard A. Comma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly, highly motivated, bilingual, fast paced learner (in 37 reviews)

• 8 of free food every shift, you get to tell people what to do as well (in 32 reviews)

1. "Team Member"

Current Employee - Team Member in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment for the most part and friendly staff

Cons

Terrible workload for minimal pay, and sub par management

Advice to Management

Communication

2. "TL"

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The competitive part is what I like and moving fast and always having something to do

Cons

The company doesn’t notice the hard work that their employees do. Lazy people always get more it seems like and they don’t seem to care about us

Advice to Management

Just want to get a way that certain employees get appropriated when deserved and noticed for the hard work they do

3. "Jack in the Box, Inc. is a great place to work."

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time

Pros

Upper management open to new ideas

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

4. "Drive-through clerk"

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time

Pros

Employees discount , free food, funn staff

Cons

Unsteadt shifts, lots of presure with customers

Advice to Management

Give steady shifts

5. "Not the best , not the worst"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Jack in the Box part-time

Pros

Easy to learn all the basic fundamentals and register

Cons

Barely any hours unless you have been working for a while
    On-the-job training isn't the best and can be improved
    Earrings/jewelry not allowed

Advice to Management

Don't let new employees train other new employees (which is what happened to me)
    GIVE NEW EMPLOYEES MORE HOURS , it helps them learn a lot quicker and easier

"Team Member Review, first impressions"

Current Employee - Team Member in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will start off by saying that your experience at this job will very widely depending on several things. Namely, your previous experience working on your feet for several hours, the manager you've been given, and the members of the team itself. If one or all of these are bad, you will have a bad experience, so I recommend scoping out your local JnB before applying, make sure you're not going to get roped into something you'll regret.

I personally feel like I got lucky. The manager at my JnB is a very understanding older woman, the team members are all nice and manage to balance chatter with actually working, and I've been able to adapt to standing, despite this being my first job.

This is certainly a 'first job.' It's easy, the pay is low, and they have a low bar for entry. That being said, you're expected to pull your weight around the workplace and slacking off can get you in trouble.

If you have any issue with working with grease you'll want to avoid this job, they put all new workers on the Fryer as its the most demanding job and one that's the most important to learn. You are able to learn new positions once you've got the hang of it, though.

In terms of benefits and the general mood of the place, I'd say both are fair. They will offer you insurance, and it isn't bad if you have none, but you should avoid it if you already have your own insurance. The work there gets hectic but never grim, you'll only feel as bad as you want to feel.

Work life balance is a plus as well, they give their employees two days off with the potential for extra hours and overtime, these two days can either be consecutive or split, depending on the manager. Although I can see the balance suffering if you're in a real need for money, because unless you ask specifically, they're not likely to give you the full 40 hours a week.

Cons

Onto the bad - For all the talk about moving up in the workplace, don't expect extremely fast promotions. Raises are possible, but hard promotions only really come up if someone leaves.

The middle management expects you to always be busy, even when there's nothing going on and you've gotten your station cleaned. This also varies depending on your managers, but if you work during the day expect to need to keep busy. Depending on your managers, they may also constantly verbally prod you to hurry up even if you're working fast already, which can grate on the nerves.

Breaks are not scheduled, if not having a set break time sounds bad to you, avoid this job. You are expected to ask for a break if you need one during the times when the place isn't busy.

The customers can be the best or worst part of this experience, I list them as a con because they can bring no end of grief to someone not used to the hectic flow of fast food, and assuming this is your first job, you won't be used to it. You will also come to hate certain types of customers if you work at a station that handles the food itself. There will be customers who order anywhere from 12 to 50 tacos at once, or any ridiculous number of different food items. And you're still expected to get them out within five minutes.

One other thing - When you start off you'll likely become a Fryer first, or get put on the Grill if not. You'll probably suffer from burns every so often, nothing major, but you'll need to get used to being in a heated environment with only latex gloves as your protection from burns.

Advice to Management

Offer something stronger than latex gloves to prevent burns, maybe set actual break times for employees. Try not to let overzealous middle management ruin team morale.

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love keeping busy i love helping folks

Cons

Some days be really slow

Advice to Management

Need more workers

8. "Great Training Environment"

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time

Pros

Jack in the box provides excellent training programs that allow it's managers to be successful. If you utilize the tools they provide you can be very successful with running their businesses.

Cons

24 Hour Operations. Sometimes you can get burned out from working all hours.

9. "Jack"

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People/co-workers have been the best

Cons

Limited advancement, little to no pay increases

Advice to Management

show more respect to employees

10. "Team Leader"

I have been working at Jack in the Box full-time

Pros

You make great friends and meet some very nice people.

Cons

It can be very stressful, sometimes there is a lack of management. and it is hard to communicate with them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.