Jackson Hewitt Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jackson Hewitt CEO David P. Prokupek
David P. Prokupek

Pros
  • Great people to work with and learned a lot about tax law (in 19 reviews)

• Great bosses, and flexible hours (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I liked the job enough, but I wouldn't return next season due to the low pay (in 35 reviews)

• seasonal job only and no benefits afterwords (in 17 reviews)

1. "Taxpreparer"

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Waycross, GA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Waycross, GA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the customers are great to work with

Cons

the employees are terrible and management is not fair or impartial

Advice to Management

treat all of your staff right

2. "Tax Preparer"

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at Jackson Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sorry I really honestly can't list 1

Cons

Low Pay Rate, No Incentives, No understanding or consideration of work/life balance, unprofessional

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees

3. "Unfit Company"

Current Freelancer - Tax Accountant in San Angelo, TX
    Current Freelancer - Tax Accountant in San Angelo, TX

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt (More than 5 years)

Pros

new clients and older clients that return to see you .

Cons

They hire anyone, a warm body , do not care if you know taxes , they will take tests for you , get you in the door , they do not care, want you to buy everything they have to offer, they do not care about client, returns are way too high, no supplies , you have

to buy your own supplies

Advice to Management

get rid of present DMs and MANGERS they are ruining your company. Stop hiring anyone and everyone off the streets , you lie to the public stop it! do what you say you will.

"Dysfunctional Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the sincere pleasure of working with a fantastic group of managers and team leaders in the Client Care Operations side of the business in the Sarasota office. Jackson Hewitt should be very thankful for the hard work of the front-line customer service and technical agents throughout the organization. With limited training and resources, the agents have done a great job of proving quality service to our customers.

Cons

The culture of Jackson Hewitt is nothing short of toxic. The executive leadership team has consistently shown an inability to provide positive direction and support for the contact/call center side of the business. The executive team is frequently negative, accusatory in nature, and generally unwilling to listen to anyone outside of their circle. The company consistently makes the same mistakes every year and finds new ways to scapegoat senior and middle leadership when their illogical plans do not work. Leadership is filled with those "rah-rah" football coach-types who are an experts in the retail arena, but have ZERO understanding of call centers. There's very little accountability for their poor decisions and they tend to operate in an emotional manner.

Advice to Management

Listen and respect the people who are on the front lines. There's a reason why JH is behind H&R Block. Clean up internal processes and hold the executive team accountable for their bad decisions. Hire a competent IT team that can minimize the hundreds of technical issues that prevent us from properly servicing our customers. Support the client care center and PLEASE stop using fear to intimidate employees. The environment is toxic and is not good for the long-term viability of Jackson Hewitt.

"Low pay seasonal work"

Former Employee - Client Care in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Client Care in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice folks to work with. Easy to get hired on. Many jobs to choose from in client care but very little pay.

Cons

Computer systems constantly going down. A lot of confusion and poor training especially in plant care and franchise services. Would recommend seasonal for those who are just looking for a seasonal one to two months position. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Need better organization. Better management and better training.

7. "Not a place to work"

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Jackson Hewitt part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, easy to learn,flexible schedules, affordable class, many locations and lots of work available

Cons

ripped me off I paid for tax training and was promised a job only to not ever be put on a schedule or get an explanation as to why.

8. "Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Jackson Hewitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some higher ups do show appreciation despite the pressures they get put on them, they know how hard you work and help if they can

Cons

Long hours, forget seeing your family during season, then you starve for hours the rest of the year
    Owner hides behind legal jargon, e-mails, and has others deliver his messages
    Low pay, much lower than industry average, if you are a manager you will basically make minimum wage during season
    Worst training. After a several years, I still have not been properly trained and I never see my manager. If you have a problem, you are on your own.
    Good staff doesnt last very long before getting run off

Advice to Management

Pay attention to whats going on with your upper management. Their not doing their job like they report back. People who work in the stores are the ones keeping your company floating.

"Full time in NJ"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I worked at Jackson Hewitt (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many left, as there has been a huge exodus.

Cons

CEO has created a toxic environment, which is a shame as there are still some good people there. Rather than trying to do right by the consumer or the agent, it is simply a matter of the CEO trying to recoup his investment, and thus, yelling at everyone in the company as his revenue plan falls. I would stay away.

10. "Bad attitude managers"

Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Alexandria, LA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Jackson Hewitt (More than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job. Excellent training

Cons

Central Louisiana District has the worse managers. Incredibly, horrible customer service skills. They drown the energy if the preparers that truly enjoy the work!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring frustrated bad attitudes, females...get some new talent!!! Not everyone will continue to put up with their nauseating attitudes. It's getting old and so are them...and all that cursing.

11. "Customer Service Rep( Call center)"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in West Hartford, CT
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Jackson Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice but other than that there was absolutely nothing good about this company and it was the worst company I have ever worked for. If I could give a lower rating I would.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! I wouldnt recommend this company to my enemy. It is clear to me that jackson hewitt doesn't care about their customers what so ever and will do anything to get over on them .We had to deal with rude and nasty customers all day because the fact that tax preparers were down right lying to customer. Don't ever file your taxes here