Jackson Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 9, 2016

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edison T. Liu, M.D

Pros
  • Jax was a great place to work, the community atmosphere at the Bar Harbor and Sacramento campuses was refreshing (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, opportunity to move up (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Animal Care Technician"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician/Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of cute mice. 401k and benefits

Cons

Overworked to the point of physical injury. Many techs including myself had repetitive motion injuries. Major wrist/arm problems due to work load. Once you report injuries you are sent to a Dr. and physical therapy. I was harassed by managers that asked if I was faking injuries. Pay is horrible I was making $12 and hour. This place is horrific.

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy.

"Old boys club"

Current Employee - External Relations in Bar Harbor, ME
    Current Employee - External Relations in Bar Harbor, ME

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, physical space is adequate

Cons

Uneven adherence to policies, management iand senior staff is an old boys club, sexism is prevalent in meetings, influences decision-making at highest levels. A lot of talk about equality but that is not what happens behind closed doors, or occassionally right out in public.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote more women to senior positions. Create an anonymous or safe way for employees to report issues including compliance, gender bias, sexual harrassment.

3. "They hype it up to be a good science job but it's just a glorified zoo keeper job. with more stress"

Former Employee - Animal Care Trainee II in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Trainee II in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

something to put on the resume

Cons

coworkers were so stressed that they would argue over supplies. people skipped step to meet box count.

Advice to Management

the ones meeting their box count are cutting corners and not giving proper animal care. too much work load.

"Horrible management, principal investigator"

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time

Pros

I agree with the other post on how bad on how terrible management and integrity of scientific values are. Some principal investigator
    treatment of employees really bad, not tearm work. Demanding the impossible in work, and overwhelming stressful workplace (physically and mentally, as a result so many injuries are happening). Over working hour in the weekend and they believe in favoritism and quantity over quality.

Cons

"No place for IT professionals"

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory full-time

Pros

Good benefits and above average salary. The JAX mission still stands and is admirable! The location is beautiful for 4 months of the year!

Cons

Poor IT leadership team with infighting, backstabbing and no clear direction which sets the tone for the overall IT organization. Anyone demonstrating a hard working and team working ethic is pushed aside and results in on average one person per month leaving! No decent managers with any people skills left now. The last one left 5 months ago!

Advice to Management

Start acting like a professional management team!
    Remove the 'power' from the PMO office as they are clearly under skilled at delivering IT projects.
    Start recognizing hard work, team work and people skills as positives!
    Stop stealing the glory for the accomplishments as your own, you know who you are!

"No accountability. Only promotes people who doesn't do anything but brown nosing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are nice and friendly. Facility is nice and clean. Retirement package is very competitive. Management training is great!

Cons

First, management micromanages everyone. If you don't do what they want, you don't get promoted or you are just put at the back burner and forget about. Second, they only promote based on brown nosing because management don't have a clue who actually does the work and whose good in doing the work. They promote based on hear say. Most recently, they have promoted unqualified employees who don't do anything but personal things at work. Third, there is no diversity in upper management. You have to be from Maine to climb up this level. If you are from another company, then you will have to accept a significant decrease in pay. Fourth, they pay people about 20-40% below national average. Fifth, upper management plays favoritism. They will discipline a technician in a heart beat but they will never discipline their mid and upper level management. If they do, they only get a slap in the hand and a change of title.

Advice to Management

Allow people to grow. Promote based on merit. Stop patronizing brown nosing and people from Maine. Demonstrate equality. Make your managers accountable and this may mean upper management will have to do extra work to understand what their managers are doing. Make people accountable but don't punish the good and hard workers. There are a lot of people who gets away with working few hours which should be okay if the person doesn't get behind on their work. Recognize talent in front of you and pay them what they what they are worth or else it you will end up paying more because of turnover.

"Not the place for IT professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Pros

Benefits and other non-financial compensation....it's how they entice to come in the first place, then you wake up.

Cons

The IT Department has a lack of leadership and direction, projects are mismanaged and driven by a Project Management Office that does not have a clue on how to manage IT projects. 3 CIO's in the last 3 years and Director level management that is a joke. The Director of Application Development actually thought he was a great mentor by telling you to read a book. No leadership just a bunch of bosses. If you are an IT professional you will want to stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Get a real CIO for lead the IT department and then have everyone (starting with the IT leadership and management) re-interview for their positions.

"No Leadership, Low Employee Morale, Excessive Hours, No Room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A new building, however offices are small, labs are limited

Cons

The company has very low employee morale, inexperienced micro managers, and inexperienced employees. The HR is very unorganized and desperate to hire due to very high employee turn over. Employees work long hours and the atmosphere is constantly negative. They frown upon vacation time or days off, very little room for growth, and most positions require a 24-7 availability, which they are not upfront about in the beginning- Experience might be different in Bar Harbor but CT location is known to be miserable

Advice to Management

Respect employees, have realistic expectations, clean house

"Animal Care Tech-Production"

Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Tech in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work to do, always overtime.

Cons

You are a complete slave. You get paid nothing. You will be injured from the work.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they are machines.

"Senior professionals considering relocation to work at the Jackson Lab in Bar Harbor should be very careful"

Former Employee - Manager in Bar Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Manager in Bar Harbor, ME

I worked at Jackson Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Lab is situated in a very beautiful remote rural area with a combination of mountain and seashore attractions and the proximity of the Acadia National Park, and is a dream for an outdoor enthusiast (although this can be a serious “con” for those who have no such inclinations and prefer an urban or suburban lifestyle). Working to support the mission of the lab in conducting and promoting research into causes and potential cures for human disease is very gratifying, and was my primary motivation for seeking a position with the Lab. It has great healthcare coverage. Most of the people at all levels of the organization who work there are extremely conscientious, dedicated and diligent individuals with whom I enjoyed collaborating during my time there.

Cons

A caveat - I worked in the area responsible for inventory management, marketing and sales, so my comments don’t necessarily generalize into the science and educational areas. I understood I was being hired to help introduce new approaches to managing operations and related quality assurance issues but I found the senior management, as much as they paid lip service to “developing a quality culture”, reluctant to engage in any serious assessment of how they do business or set any meaningful strategic direction for making operational improvements. Ideas which didn’t align with current practices were typically poorly received, and persistence in promoting such ideas precipitated challenges to personal competency and motivation. Several senior managers were heavy-handed in treatment of subordinates, and expected similar treatment to be shown down the line – resistance elicited the same sort of non-professional criticism. Initially, I questioned myself, but found several other people over time with similarities in professional background and aspirations whose experiences echoed my own. Another obstacle to succeeding in an operations-based role is the dependence on IT, and that group, which apparently suffered challenges for years, continued to address issues with its own operations and turnover while I was there and shortly after I left. After a year, the dissonance was greater than I would tolerate, so I resigned my position. Alternatives for professional work in the area are very limited, including at the Lab. I applied for two other positions in other areas in the Lab (one before, and the other after I resigned), but in both cases the original job postings were pulled, and job descriptions re-written and then re-posted after I initially applied.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is much the same as they received in at least one internal employee satisfaction survey. It is that they engage the talents and insights of the many people who are committed to the mission of the Lab, and capable of making significant contributions. The treatment it seems most people receive, at least in the areas with which I was familiar, is very de-motivating and largely encourages risk-averse and conformist behaviors. The tenor of senior management attitude toward subordinate input is to filter and restrain what is offered, rather than to channel or foster. For an organization with aspirations to expand in size and complexity, and the need to compete with other organizations for revenue as government sponsored funding diminishes, the senior management does a great disservice to the mission of the Lab in the way it treats its less senior staff and undermines contributions they might otherwise make. It also discourages others with potentially valuable experience and insights gained elsewhere who might be inclined to consider joining Lab to think very carefully before making any commitment; that at least would be my advice. As much as one would want to support the mission of the Lab, it should not come at a cost to one’s career, professional integrity and/or personal welfare.