Jackson National Life "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Jackson National Life Reviews

Updated 18 de Sep 2019

Found 447 reviews

3.8
Jackson National Life CEO Barry L. Stowe  (no image)
Barry L. Stowe

"This is not a company that rewards education, dedication, knowledge, or expertise."

Current Employee - Processor IV in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Jackson National Life full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a great company if you just want to collect a paycheck and have good benefits like health insurance, 401k match, profit sharing, and an annual bonus.

Cons

This is not a great company to work for if you are willing to stand up for something you believe in. If you try to challenge the status quo, tell it how it is, or refuse to play the social and political game, you will not last very long.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the rampant nepotism, extreme disparity within Operations management that is about 95% (physically and emotionally stressed out) women to 5% (beaten down) men, high number of relatively unqualified associates promoted to operations management (and higher) level positions without leadership experience or a college education (that cannot communicate, articulate, or comprehend the simplest of... instructions). Also, recognize the importance of having the manager of a team of associates actually manage the team...not just focus on their projects while their team leaders perform the majority of the management duties at lower pay...consider hiring actual project managers so the managers of a team of associates can actually spend time working with their associates (and be required to perform the functions of the associates they are managing).

Jackson National Life2014-08-10

"Bad direction"

Current Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Jackson National Life full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, nice building. Good severance package when they decide to clean house - which is frequent.

Cons

Terrible mid-level management. Constant change without having direction. Lots of women in upper management that are only there because of their friends. It is definitely a who you know not what you know environment. "Yes-women" go far.

Advice to Management

Try to connect more with employees and you will find out what is really going on underneath your noses. Maybe take a look at the hiring/promotion practices. Is it weird that several men have been fired/forced out over the past few years and every replacement has been a woman?

Jackson National Life2014-07-29

"Very disappointing, You either sink or swim - Every Man or Woman for themself - job stability, Iffy!!"

Former Employee - Non Financial/Financial Processor in Franklin, TN

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice enviroment, nice cafeteria, good benefits..... That's It!!!

Cons

I started with the company when they first arrived in Franklin, TN. I was very exciting at the beginning..... had a lot of boosting and encouragement by the company at the beginnig when I started... There were a lot more people that came on board....as we grew, things continued to change. Different departments transferred to this location from Lansing, Business was booming even more.... I felt very secure and... comfortable with the company I worked for, and was doing pretty good for a while. As things started to settle, a little.... things started to change even more.... Not for the good. I will say, its not what you know, it's who you know..... Team work? this is a thing of the past.....competition, YES! Trying to get use to your own job and having to learn 4 to 5 other jobs at the same time, very stressful. Tons of multi-tasking , I will say. As far as the pay, for all the work you have to do? I don't think so.... Not enough per hour. I also will say that I don't approve of how everyone's productivity is broadcasted in a report on everyone's daily work progress which i feel should be between the supervisor and the employee. If the productivy numbers aren't up to par, you get warnings, then write ups, then.... terminated. This company is very numbers driven..... I am no longer with the company by my own choice. It took me a while to actually want to talk about this and this is not a complaint.....nor am I being disgruntal. This is just from my experience and I hope and pray that no one else has to go thru this ..... I actually started my own business, and I am doing very very well with it and I am very happy now.

Advice to Management

Shape up or ship out!!!

Jackson National Life2013-01-05
  4. "Good, stable employment, great benefits"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Jackson National Life full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, management has good vision of the industry

Cons

Big downside is their HR policies with immigration.

Jackson National Life2012-10-25

"Looks good from the Outside, but Watch Out!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time

Pros

Beautiful building; good salary; good benefits. Met some really wonderful people who are trying to make a difference.

Cons

Operations is run by a pack of women who all went to high school together. They support and promote one another and have formed a 'unit' that's nearly impossible to penetrate. The problem is that most of them have very little education and have never worked for any other company. They are not exceptional in any way, and none of them would hold similar positions in any other company. They have every single... promotion and transfer in and out of their department mapped out years in advance, and have brought in and seen to it that their family and friends are promoted (regardless of talent, skill, or experience) so that they can act as spies to identify any dissenters. If they don't approve of you, you will be run out of the company (if you work in their area) or your credentials will be very effectively attacked (if you work in another area). They are so successful at ruining the reputation of people, that other departments are afraid of them.

Advice to Management

There's nothing to say that they don't already know; they just refuse to do anything about it. Here's some advice to those who still work there though: stop wasting your time hoping. Find a new job now.

Jackson National Life2012-09-08

"It's not what you know, it's who."

Former Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I met some good people. I had a good salary. I had good benefits.

Cons

Friends and relatives of upper management will go far at Jackson National. If you are not in the "good ole gal" clique that prevails in Operations, you will be stifled or even dismissed as I was. From the moment one of those "gals" became my boss I apparently couldn't do anything right. Up until that point I had been meeting and exceeding my supervisors expectations. But not so from then on. I believe that if you... are not a part of the "in crowd" and one member of that clique dislikes you personally, you may as well quit because it won't be long before an excuse will be found to get rid of you. It's funny that the "offical" reason I was dismissed (mismanagement of a project allowing it to fall behind) still exists today and that project is still behind more than two years later.

Advice to Management

Grow up and recognize people for what they know, not on their closeness or friendships with upper management.

Jackson National Life2012-08-29
  7. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time

Pros

Good benefits. The company likes to hire from within. Weathered the recession well during the early stages, likely due to conservative and smart financial decisions.

Cons

Typical corporate America. Not much loyalty to employees. Very conservative. A bit of the good old boys club, though that may be different now with new and promising execs.

Jackson National Life2012-07-26
  8. "It's been a great learning experience"

in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Jackson National Life

Pros

Good benefits and compensation package

Cons

Work/Life balance is not the greatest. A lot is expected of employees

Jackson National Life2011-12-03

"Not Bad, Not Great"

Mutual Fund Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jackson National Life

Pros

Overpaid for the work you do Good Hours Good Benefits Managers are just OK because the good and knowledgeable employees leave to other companies

Cons

As with the Pros, managers are just OK which is also a downside because there are many people that take advantage of them. Basically, come work here for 2-3 years, make some good money and then go onto a better firm, or ket your CFA, CPA, or MBA and then leave. It's what I did.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to clean house, and start promoting people who are worth it. There are a lot of people here who would love to advance (and who should) but end up leaving.

Jackson National Life2011-11-23

"Decent Pay/Benefits No chance of moving up even with CE"

Customer Service Representative in Okemos, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life

Pros

You will be provided good benefits and a solid job with a routine. No worries of lay offs and you can be comfortable in the job.

Cons

Difficult to move up, they do not look to entry level employees to move into the next levels easy.

Advice to Management

Remember your entry level employees run the front line, they are valuable and should beable to futhur their careers if they would like internally.

Jackson National Life2011-11-08