Jacksons Food Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John D Jackson

Pros
  • Tuition reimbursement program, unlimited free drinks while on shift, flexible schedule (in 10 reviews)

• Great job for someone who had NO job (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management plays favoritism and promotes who they like, regardless of qualifications (in 5 reviews)

• Managers are REQUIRED to work 45 hours a week and only be paid for 40 (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - District Manager in Des Moines, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Des Moines, WA

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding leadership. Good communication from the corporate office to front line employees. Jacksons Food Stores runs in flow, and all employees are appreciative for there hard work.

Cons

The company direction & priorities can change quickly and its important that all employees have a flexible & positive attitude in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Amazing company to work for !!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competive wage at entry level, high store manager annual salaries with opportunities to make much more, benefits, extensive training. I have had the privilege of working for Jacksons for many years and yes I consider it a privilege. They have high standards and reward those who achieve these high standards. Some may think this is being picky but we truly want the best of the best. I would recommend working for Jacksons to anyone willing to put in the work, anyone who wants a company with MANY areas of advancement and most importantly a company that really cares about their employees. There isn't a company in the world that is perfect but Jacksons really strives to make their employees lives better. Over the last year the company has invested a substantially in across the board pay raises. If you want a challenging, exciting and going places company to work for Jacksons is it.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are

3. "Quick Experinece at Jackson's"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, have bonuses if your team does a good job.

Cons

Drama with teams sometimes, depends on what store you work at and what shift.

Advice to Management

Make training more streamlined

5. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kuna, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kuna, ID

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid-back attitude, fun and friendly co-workers, customers and work environment, flexible hours, unlimited vacation time (almost - you must work one day out of 7, or use PTO/vacation days to cover that day). Tuition reimbursement program, unlimited free drinks while on shift, flexible schedule.

Cons

$8.25 starting pay, goes up 50 cents after 3 months. Not a whole lot of money. Most of my co-workers are on food stamps. Secondly, there has been some tension between co-workers with co-workers and co-workers against managers. Usually over the completion (or lack thereof) of required jobs each day and people standing around talking instead of working. Do your best and you'll have fun, do well, and be happy to come to work each day.

Advice to Management

Try not to sweat the small stuff. Everything will be okay. It always is.

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent oportunities for advancing from the ground up.

Cons

Long work days and hectic schedules.

7. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only company that I've ever worked for that gives cashiers a chance to earn a bonus. You do see the people from the corporate office quite often.

Cons

Rediculous budget. A 24hr store can not run on 230 hrs per week no matter how slow business is. Therefore, the bonus is BS unless you are in a location that sells a ton of fuel and is busy all of the time.

Advice to Management

Spend less of the budget flying people all over the country and renting cars and hotels every week. Add some of that to the struggling stores hourly budget or marketing.

8. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you were a floater you always had a new environment, new customers and co workers everyday which was less drama than being permanent at one store. If your an independent person, being a floater is the way to go.

Cons

If you have co worker or customer harassment, you have to take it above your manager because they will never be serious enough to take care of it for you. Customers will complain about every small thing you don't do, and your manager will perceive it as you need to change your attitude. No one likes to do their part so be ready to do it yourself; hence advice to be a floater instead.

Advice to Management

Actually enforce "drug free" environment in the workforce, not first offense is free pass but next time we will take disciplinary action. Being a manager is enforcing discipline when it is necessary. If you show weak emotions and are unprofessional by crying for help for your employees, you should not be above us. Should actually give more benefits to employees beside a free drink to work at Jacksons. This was the worst work environment I have ever been employed under. They will not take care of customers and employees behaviors, and you will not be treated above and beyond even if you give 100% everyday for 4 years. I do not advice any individual to work for this ill mannered work environment unless you literally do not care about being treated like crap. This caused me emotional stress

9. "Decent for a C-Store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jacksons offered competitive pay, middle-grade health insurance, bonuses based on store performance. Still a C-Store, but at least at the store I worked at it was decent. Was a favorite of the customers and manager looked out for me more than once.

Cons

Experience varies greatly by store. I have heard horrors from employees at other locations. Can be socially political - a fair amount of gossip amongst key players in organization.

Advice to Management

Revise, update and enforce "drug free" policy, end political pandering of management, pay more attention to the real people behind the successful stores.

10. "sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jacksons Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very professional and truly cares for us employees. The stores and carwashes are very well kept asbwellbas stocked with more then enough product to sell and up sell. Benefits after 90 days and also 401k plans. Great company to be a part of.

Cons

I've had one or two issues with my payroll due to errors of management as well as customer service reps ranging from $15.00 to $200.00. Commissions were put in another employees account that had a very similar name to mine. Took a while pay period to fix one matter. They higher anybody for the labor positions which means low quality workers that don't take pride in their job.

Advice to Management

Please fix the issue with people's payroll. Mistake like these affect people's livelihood and ability to pay bills. It shouldn't take 2 weeks for payment after it was resolved . especially if wrongs were admitted and brought to surface. Favoritism should not be an issue like it has been.

"store manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

the commissions were nice the benefits were okay but honestly that's the only positive I can think of at this point

Cons

the employees were treated like scum and worked then there was a lot of favoritism and disrespect towards the store managers from the district managers and office personnel. I worked for this company for 8 years and ended up quitting my job and leaving something I thought would be my career. this seriously is an awful company to work for.

Advice to Management

don't be a store manager unless you are a favorite of the district managers you are not going to be treated fairly at this point won't even shop at any Jacksons food stores it was extremely disappointed the whole time I was employed with this company.