Jacobs Reviews | Glassdoor

Steven Demetriou

1. "Tread lightly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good benefits Jacobs has favorable work hours, has excellent benefits, great insurance good 401k and stock options and a safety focused culture.

Cons

The management group that I worked under had had their own agenda that was often in conflict with the needs and desires of the client which often placed employees who were attempting to serve the client at odds with our management team.

Advice to Management

Live up to your rhetoric about making sure that the client's need are paramount. Don't punish employees who are attempting to do a good job for the client.

"New Employee"

Current Employee - Project Controls in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Controls in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far none currently looking for a new opportunity

Cons

Was hired in from directly in the field without any training support I have had to call repeatedly just to get my paychecks there any other type of HR items like my signing bonus and Benefits I'm still chasing down on my own. Basically sink or swim and treated as a contractor vs a direct employee

Advice to Management

Answer your email

"A total waste of 11 years"

Current Employee - Computer Systems Administrator in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Administrator in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule 6-230, coworkers were awesome, direct supervisor was a great person and cared about his employees, pay was good. There are not many pros for this company.

Cons

Highest insurance around, high deductibles, a
    NO ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES, I think it says a lot about who a company is when an employee of 11 years asks for a transfer for 6 months and after applying to multiple vacancies, still no advancement. No tuition reimbursement to help advance careers.

Advice to Management

Lower Management is awesome, higher management is WORTHLESS

4. "%100 Corporate"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Lima, OH

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay, benefits, lots of overtime

Cons

you are just a number, don't stand up for what's right (that's not the company motto), profits over people.

Advice to Management

Jacobs is run from the top down with a keen eye on the bottom line. So management are generally miserable people to be around

"Very Aggressive environment"

Former Employee - Site Acquisition Specialist in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Acquisition Specialist in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) extremely ambitious (company culture similar to goldman sachs)
    2) you'll learn a lot.

Cons

1) Management is really busy. After finishing a task, sometimes management will interrogate you for not doing it even though it has already been completed. They do not read all the emails you send to them.

2) Poor Training. Much of the management is young and thus does not know how to train new employees. They encourage you to think for yourself which is good, but they are reluctant to answer questions after the initial training. If you then execute a task with an error(that you tried to ask about), they will make sure your boss, your boss's boss, and everyone else knows. There's no training manual and the minimal training given is usually confusing.

3) No Recognition for hard work done. They don't care if you stay late to finish your work or not. No one will notice. Yet they give you so much work you have to stay late and skip lunch to finish it.

4) Even the lowest of management has so many meetings that you can't finish your actual work. Then they still expect that work to be finished next day with no overtime pay.

5) Management wants you to do everything correctly but unwilling to answer questions. Too much secrecy and no transparency.

6) Not accommodating even if your commute is 2 hours one way. They want you to be there at 8, skip lunch, stay late until all work is finished. It is common to see people staying till 8 or 9 p.m. There are flexible hours on paper, but they cannot be used.

7) They do not pay enough to anyone for the amount of hours the employees put in.

8) Benefits are really bad. There's basically no discount on insurance. It's almost the same as buying it outside. There are also very limited insurance packages.

9) Safety is not first, despite what the company says. Management expects employees to come in even if there's 6 inches of snow on the ground. If you say you want to work from home, the bosses here will accept it but they will not sound happy. There was never any initiative or company wide announcement telling employees to stay home during inclement conditions.

10) Only 6 public holidays.

11) 401K is not very flexible nor does the company match very much.

12) High turn over(which tells you there's something wrong). There are not very many people who have been there for more than 3 years and even less that have been there for more than 10 years.

6. "Hanging On"

Current Employee - Item Manager in Hill AFB, UT
    Current Employee - Item Manager in Hill AFB, UT

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, best company, great location, management cares, good review system, freeway close, every other Friday off, a lot of places to go for lunch

Cons

Pay - the pay is low, need to standardize pay with same or similar job titles, contractors have extra duties assigned

7. "Uggghhh"

Former Employee - Project Controls in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Controls in Houston, TX

I worked at Jacobs (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much, "ok" pay and free meals

Cons

No organization. No organization. No organization.

8. "No Carrier Growth - No One Cares About You or Your Carrier Goals"

Current Employee - Estimator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Estimator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is super easy and not challenging

Cons

Only the extreme few will ever get promoted. No carrier path direction.
    The work environment is cliques and dismal. No matter how hard you work and show your grit, you will never get anywhere in the company. Management is M.I.A. all the time, you can see them in body but the spirit is gone. Your manager is a person either afraid to let you shine or don't want to be bothered, most managers are outdated and have not evolved with time.

Advice to Management

Promote workers who are putting it in and making it happen. Be apart of the team and not out for yourself. Act like the work matters and the team matters.

"Jacobs winning contract"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eglin AFB, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eglin AFB, FL

Pros

I know no pros in working for Jacobs

Cons

Their pays vales and the way they treat their people after a contract win. Do not accept offers until the end. They will give you what you ask for, just don't back down. The second and third offers aren't the last ones, like they lie to you and say. They put the almighty dollar ahead of their people.

Advice to Management

Live up to your hype of caring about your people. Talk is cheap. Do not lie when you negotiate salaries.

"Do NOT work for Jacobs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros for Jacobs.

Cons

Health Ins. is the cheapest plan they could find, MA health is a better plan than the plan they provide.

Don't be fooled, Sick Time isn't really provided for it's employees. Sick time is actually time taken from your earned PTO time.

Regardless of whether or not a state of emergency has been issued during winter months Jacobs remains open and you have to use your PTO in order to not go into work and still get paid.

They only give the four major holidays off that they are required by law to give.

While I applaud Jacobs for wanting to improve and empower the women that work at Jacobs, it should not however be a required that you must be a mentor or a mentee. I have no desire to become either.

Advice to Management

You say you care about your employees but yet your actions say otherwise.

Provide your employees with better health ins.
    Give your employees actual separate sick time, don't just go around the law and say you provide sick time.

Don't "punish" employees that do not have the option of working from home during dangerous weather conditions by making us use our earned PTO time in order to be paid for that time.

We're not asking for every holiday off, but some holidays that are not required by the law to give your employees would be nice. My husband gets more time off from holidays that we do.

You made it mandatory that employees set job goals to go above and beyond for their position, but you don't give incentives to your employees to want to give more.

Showing 216 of 1,879 reviews