Jacobs Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"How not to do it"

Former Employee - Technician in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Technician in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a paycheck. But not much else.

Cons

Poor site management. Slow response to problems getting reported. Sadly low pay rate for work performed.

Advice to Management

Pay fair wages. Get trained supervisors.

"Dysfunctional and incompetent HR group"

Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs (More than a year)

Pros

I guess if I have to provide a pro it is that the Dallas office location is easily accessible.

Cons

As previous posts have mentioned, Jacobs is going through a massive reorganization. This has not missed HR. HR has been decentralized and now reports to the business. Look around the HR group and 90% of the people have been employed there less than 2 years.

This, in and of itself is not the worst thing that could happen. Our prior SVP was incompetent to say the least and had no relationship building skills. However, this change has made the corporate HR team even more a mess.

Take the comp and benefits for example. I don't know how Jacobs recruits people given the lousy benefits. Deductibles are through the roof and the premiums are just as bad. Dental, 401k and health incentives are all bad as well. There is no central pay structure, formal merit increases in compensation. Which means a free for all.

Next is recruiting. There is no central recruiting. Very decentralized and one person has no idea what the other is doing.

Then there is talent management. last year they brought in a "team" to build programs. The problem is the programs that once were global are now obsolete. I feel sorry for the two guys they brought on because they were talented and the best thing to happen to that group in a long time and now they are stuck in the mud with incompetent directors who had years to get these things done and failed. Speaking of directors...why they need 3 directors in a department of 8 is laughable. These directors are not respected in any group.

Then there is compliance. There is no such thing. policies are inconsistent. Businesses are allowed to develop their own SOP's. When I left they were planning to change that but decentralizing the department prior to beginning this initiative does not make sense.

The HR field staff is hit or miss. You have HR leaders in Europse who act as if they own the company and have a very narrow view of HR.

I agree with the past comments of the talking heads of the company. They will post blogs and questions to the employees as if he is going to do something with the information. Here's an idea, why not work with HR to understand employees?

Long story short, no career progression. No career development. No recognition. No strategy = me leaving.

Advice to Management

Look at your corporate HR group. You have too many management people in management and those who are in management have no clue how to turn this ship around.

"Inside Sales- Avoid it Like the Plague"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Merit increases
    Great top operations management

Cons

Sales reports up to supervisors who are never in the office, i.e. no accountability

No implementation of "Jacobs" sales processes

Not conducive to a collaborative environment

Advice to Management

Be proactive rather than reactive

Reprimand department managers mistreating employees

Buy-in to corporate messages, they're actually good now! Practice what you preach.

"Nearly 8 Years ended with bad management and broken promises"

Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are some good business units within Jacobs. Jacobs has lots of opportunities as long as the business pipeline stays full. Lately, there has been lots of focus on engineering work, so they will have a demand for engineers.

Cons

Mediocre benefits, schizophrenic corporate execution, behaving like a small business, behaving like a "body shop" where people are a commodity asset, and senior management p*ssing in the wind and calling it rain are just some of the cons. In fairness, the company is currently experiencing a massive restructuring that may fix some of the issues. Jacobs Old was generally made of logo-ly integrated business units that had differing policies and benefits (depending on the cost base that was used during the work proposal). Jacobs New SEEMS to be aligning the business under some sort of vertical, but I don't know what the final product will look like.

Executive management is attempting to engage with line level employees using emails and the company's blog capabilities on Jacobs Connect. JC was largely an attempt to preserve corporate IQ as personnel came and went from the company. Today, it is more like Facebook for the company, where the autocrats post about "whats going on" but few line level employees will engage in dialog that will produce results...and even fewer really care about "whats going on" in the trenches.

Corporate values are under attack at Jacobs as the company has changed from three (People are our greatest asset, Growth is an imperative, We are Relationship Based) simple values to five more complex ones. In the new Jacobs, "People are the heart of our business". Great news, but people are no longer their greatest asset...and it shows. I had nearly 8 years with the company, but - in the end - was not valued by local management and allowed to leave. No one from management even said thank you or walked me out my last day. There wasn't even a check out form. I literally left whatever needed to be turned in at my desk and walked out at the end of the day (5PM).

This isn't the only place where field management's execution of the corporate values are hit and miss. Jacobs is a largely safety based company (another value "(Jacobs) values stand on a culture of safety and integrity"), but local management at my facility consistently ignored problems that were dangerous to life (allowing water condensate to be stored in the walking path of unsecured, high draw power cords, allowing cords to be zip-tied to ceilings). Clearly not safe. Numerous SORs (a Jacob's safety thing) were completed documenting the issues and were ignored. Jacobs also values its people, but - again - examples of how it selected persons to keep and which to let go.

To be fair, all of these cons were at my last assignment with the company. The other BU's that I worked in were not like this, only this one. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the direction other BU's are going or just this one.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who do the work. Keep promises that are made.

5. "I was a senior Commissioning Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity of clients, which means different projects.

Cons

Not knowing all the people that I worked with across the country

Advice to Management

None

6. "Mixed reviews"

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Lots of good people, somewhat flexible

Cons

Not very family friendly; very poor healthcare options; some managers care more about the bottom line than developing employees

7. "Bulk Operator"

Pros

Get to learn and be hands on with Operator Work

Cons

Being a contractor could get let go anytime

8. "Construction Manager"

Current Contractor - Construction Manager
    Current Contractor - Construction Manager

I have been working at Jacobs as a contractor

Pros

They drive home safety, pay overtime and reinverse ent for business travel

Cons

Overloaded with safety reports and number of projects for the red tape I countered. Micro mgmt is terrible. Over promise to client then place all pressure on lower mgmt to deliver.

Advice to Management

Give realistic resolve to client other than a yes man. Forecasting fro. Field to client is not communicated well.

9. "Electical EIT"

I have been working at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Great team environment and reasonable expectations when it comes to projects.

Cons

Lack of emphasis on personal development. Driven strictly by profit. No diversity of work.

Advice to Management

Focus on the actual employees and their teamwork ability.

"It was fine, honestly"

Former Employee - Engineer in Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Engineer in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

They paid for my master's degree

Cons

Very scattered/sprawling business, not a clear business strategy/core competency for the technology sector

Showing 254 of 1,904 reviews