Jacobs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,802 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Just an Opinion"

I have been working at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Very demanding atmosphere along with excellent abilities to learn and grow.

Cons

Constant struggle being completely billable.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Designer I
    Current Employee - Designer I

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, employees come first

Cons

It gets slow at times

3. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Jacobs promotes teamwork and cooperation between individuals, offices, and business units. There was a great flexible schedule, PTO, and work life balance while I was employed. Challenging work and supportive management.

Cons

There are none at this time.

"Senior Architect"

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Orange, CA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Spent last decade of my architecture career working for Jacobs Engineering instead of the normal architecture firm: the total compensation is better than working for architects. Architects, for some reason, don't pay their employees well. Maybe it's because a lot of people think architecture is a less rigorous profession, intellectually. A man or woman with a certain "flair" for design think on some level, to some degree, that they are just as qualified/talented as a formally trained, college educated architect. Engineers tend to be more objective, rational individuals and they pay themselves better.

Cons

Like all very large institutions and organizations, there are people who exemplify the Peter Principle of holding positions of responsibility beyond their capabilities.

Advice to Management

Don't rest on your laurels or previous accomplishments. Get rid of the stupid people.

5. "Jacobs has become typical"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally a good working environment.
    Professional teams.
    Opportunities worldwide.
    EPC leader in various industries
    Good safety culture with emphasis on home safety as well as workplace.
    Interoffice opportunities, though that is changing as each office becomes more territorial.

Cons

*Too much focusing each office to an industry segment. This results in lost opportunities for other offices when the sales efforts are not coordinated.
    *Some tools are outdated or non-existent, though there is an effort underway to improve.

Advice to Management

The trend to concentrate industries within specific offices will hamper the ability of offices to support one another and degrade the versatility of the staff. Jacobs no longer differentiates itself from other EPC firms as it moves towards a more transactional client approach and continues growth through acquisitions.

""Striving for Mediocrity""

Former Employee - Principal Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Base" compensation, but no additional bonus, profit sharing or ownership incentives, workplace setting is somewhat up to date, training programs

Cons

Poor corporate culture, stale/outdated brand, lackluster talent pool, multi layers of ineffective management, absurd amount of policies, procedures, forms that inhibit the nimbleness of the firm, absolutely zero architectural design sense.

Advice to Management

Get out of the executive suites and interact with all levels of staff, periodically. Provide better transparency as to the firms vision for the future. Attract better talent.

"Great company for those needing experience and longevity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay rate is excellent, some training classes offered by some departments, a lot of young staff, room for advancement within the JEG company vast, international.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, annual review increases are not always reflective or even close to cover COLA, often feed back of progress is minimal until annual reviews, and when one division is not doing well and layoffs are imminent help to relocate within the company is usually left up to the employee to find a new position. This organization looks at employees as expendable.

Advice to Management

Provide more employee training to employees overall on the company dollar, offer better benefits, and more support for those employees that could possibly nearing a lay-off, make JEG a place of long term employment.

8. "Great staff, great pay, Great support."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Southern, LA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Southern, LA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was part of a group that was bought and merged with JE. I immediately received a raise and was more engaged by new supervisor and support team was amazing. I cannot say enough about the Space and aeronautical side of JEG. Where I was attached to, even though I never stepped foot into a Jacobs office, having the option to work from home, I did so, They included me in everything and when there was a job cut due to My client changing owners, JEG (Jacobs engineering Group) and my support staff and supervisor were quick to check on me, quick to give references and support.. I was not able to find a fit with any other account, but not due to anything they did or I did, Just the way the industry is where I live. I will always appreciate the staff and support given by them .

Cons

None. Fantastic company to work for..

Advice to Management

None, Show current managers they are appreciated and reward them..

9. "Senior Electrical Engineer"

I worked at Jacobs full-time

Pros

opportunity to work on many different types of projects

Cons

Many of the projects involved field engineering at remote locations for extended periods of time

"Dysfunctional and incompetent HR group"

Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jacobs (More than a year)

Pros

I guess if I have to provide a pro it is that the Dallas office location is easily accessible.

Cons

As previous posts have mentioned, Jacobs is going through a massive reorganization. This has not missed HR. HR has been decentralized and now reports to the business. Look around the HR group and 90% of the people have been employed there less than 2 years.

This, in and of itself is not the worst thing that could happen. Our prior SVP was incompetent to say the least and had no relationship building skills. However, this change has made the corporate HR team even more a mess.

Take the comp and benefits for example. I don't know how Jacobs recruits people given the lousy benefits. Deductibles are through the roof and the premiums are just as bad. Dental, 401k and health incentives are all bad as well. There is no central pay structure, formal merit increases in compensation. Which means a free for all.

Next is recruiting. There is no central recruiting. Very decentralized and one person has no idea what the other is doing.

Then there is talent management. last year they brought in a "team" to build programs. The problem is the programs that once were global are now obsolete. I feel sorry for the two guys they brought on because they were talented and the best thing to happen to that group in a long time and now they are stuck in the mud with incompetent directors who had years to get these things done and failed. Speaking of directors...why they need 3 directors in a department of 8 is laughable. These directors are not respected in any group.

Then there is compliance. There is no such thing. policies are inconsistent. Businesses are allowed to develop their own SOP's. When I left they were planning to change that but decentralizing the department prior to beginning this initiative does not make sense.

The HR field staff is hit or miss. You have HR leaders in Europse who act as if they own the company and have a very narrow view of HR.

I agree with the past comments of the talking heads of the company. They will post blogs and questions to the employees as if he is going to do something with the information. Here's an idea, why not work with HR to understand employees?

Long story short, no career progression. No career development. No recognition. No strategy = me leaving.

Advice to Management

Look at your corporate HR group. You have too many management people in management and those who are in management have no clue how to turn this ship around.

Showing 1,802 of 1,929 reviews