Jacobus Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck Jacobus Jr

"Cultural Transformation"

I have been working at Jacobus Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with this company now for a little less than a year. I looked at all of the reviews prior to joining and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. I've found this to be true about Jacobus Energy. This company is moving from one of being more paternalistic to one with a performance and accountability culture. Any company that has been around for almost 100 years will have some great things about it and some not so great. I know first hand that the organization is starting to hold people more accountable than in the past for results. The oil market has been tight and our need to be as agile and efficient is paramount. Some of the non-performing employees and managers who have not been holding their people accountable are being asked to leave. I can assure you that those who take ownership of their roles and show results and live the company values will thrive through the amount of autonomy they are given and the impact they can make. Unfortunately, those who see their roles as "just a job" and try to "stay under the radar" and just do the minimum will not survive.

Cons

The downside of any cultural transformation is that people will slip from time to time so it will be important to use our values as the guiding light to everything we do. Walk the walk and talk the talk.

Given the past paternalism of the company and the unfortunate reality that some managers have not held their people accountable for some time, there may be some waves over the next few years as the company continues its journey to a culture of accountability and results. I'm sure those impacted by these changes may bad mouth the company and not look inside themselves for why they are no longer employed.

Advice to Management

Don't be swayed by any of the negative reports you see on Glassdoor due to "sour grapes". Stay the course and continue to build a world-class culture of accountability.

"You can't make this stuff up!"

Pros

Fairly paid for my role.

Cons

Amateur hour. A legacy family-owned business and all that implies. The people at the helm are clearly there because they're family or "intimately close" to family; not because they're accomplished business people. The CEO reads a book, and there is a new Vision Du jour. If you are interested in working for a company that has talented mentors that will help you hone your skill sets and develop your career, this would not be it.

Advice to Management

Clean house, starting with the CEO and hire some talented leadership.

3. "Accounting"

I worked at Jacobus Energy part-time

Pros

Coworkers were nice and made working there enjoyable

Cons

Some of the management could use improvement

"Account Setup Analyst"

Pros

My coworkers are the best.

Cons

Management does not value employees

Advice to Management

Know what your employees do, and appreciate their contributions to the company.

"An engaging and challenging company/industry"

Pros

Family owned and operated. Somewhat flat organization which allows an emboldened employee who wants to make changes do so if the potential improvement is proofed and validated. As a 6 yr employee, I have seen the changes in the organization. Is there room for improvement, absolutely, but that is true everywhere.

Cons

A pro can also be a con, because it is somewhat flat, there is only so far you can go up. Process and getting software heavy, which at times causes pain points for both us an the customers.

"Dysfunctional"

I have been working at Jacobus Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy being bullied by others and doing less and less work - this place is for you. Employees who do more work - get more work. Employees who do less or do a poor job are rewarded with the same or less work.

Cons

Do you like discussing the same topics over and over without reaching a conclusion let alone actually making a decision ... Then step right up this is the circus for you to join. Management is not only not on the same page - they are barely in the same library. Many employees are doing the job of two people - and being bullied and micro managed along the way. Distrust and backstabbing are required if you want to join this team. Have you ever been to a town hall meeting where HR advises they will be getting rid of the "bad eggs"? Make sure you ask about turnover and the tenure of current employees... In case you aren't given a true answer - turnover is rampant and most employees have been here only between 2-3 years and many have been here less than that. There are a few that have an extremely long tenure but the number is dwindling as many tenured employees have been asked to leave, pushed out, or simply don't like the direction the company is headed in. Many current employees figure out how to fly under the radar, not make waves, and continue with the status quo. This sounds ridiculous and unbelievable which must be why management behaves this way - because who would believe that this type of environment could exist? And as an FYI I believe the last review "Future's so bright" was written by HR (the newly deemed People and Culture Department) who is also extremely new to the organization.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words and the environment you are creating and encouraging is downright dishonorable and disrespectful to everyone in the organization. Deal with issues in a professional and respectful manner. Create a working environment where employees are valued, the environment is positive and fosters teamwork as well as personal and professional development.

"The Future's So Bright...I Gotta Wear Shades!"

Pros

The beauty of this company is that you will be working with "salt of the earth" people and will not experience the typical office politics you see in most companies. They want to do the right thing and want employees who are truly helpful and want to make the company even better.

It is also great that working for a company of this size, you have a great deal of autonomy to do what you need to do and ideas for improvement are always welcome. There isn't a mindset of "well...that's the way we do things around here" like I've experienced in large well-known companies.

Chuck Jacobus (CEO) is currently embarking on a plan to build a company culture that is positive, fun, and one that focuses not only on the customer, but the employee experience as well. As with anything, these things can take time, but it is so refreshing to see a CEO take such a focus on employee culture and holding leaders accountable for both performance and behavioral standards.

Cons

The only cons I see is that some of the systems are outdated and that the level of sophistication among some leaders could be improved. There is always work to do in any company, but given the goals of the CEO, this should come along soon.

Advice to Management

Absolutely stick to your path in creating behavioral and performance standards for all leaders and hold them to all. To truly achieve the culture you want, everyone has to be on board or needs to get off the boat.

"Sales rules the Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Jacobus Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffee in the kitchen. Close to a park with wildlife. Good people in many areas that want to make the company succeed.

Cons

In contrast to a previous post that was clearly written for better ratings, the experience that I had was not positive. It was very clear that the sales organization was in charge of every aspect of the business and the leadership in that area was not up to the challenge. There was no consistent direction and the strategy would change based on the latest book that the CEO has read. If you have a desire to be recognized for solid work and are trying to gain solid experience to grow in your career, this is not the place. If you prefer a fraternity type environment, then this is your dream company.

Advice to Management

Find ways to improve the environment to allow good people to grow in their roles.

"I would NOT recommend working here"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Jacobus Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Met some really great, hard working, amazing people and had a couple of great managers.

Cons

Hard work, loyalty and providing many years of hard work are not valued by upper management. Some of the good managers that they do bring in, leave within a year or two. You will be worked to the bone (and then some) with no reward or acknowledgement by upper management. Lack of adequate training and documentation are rampant. In the beginning they had several different computer systems in the company and said they were going to upgrade to one integrated system to prevent "silos of information". Yeah!! Instead, got 3 new crappy systems that need to integrate. The company has too many managers and not nearly enough people to do the work that needs to be done. Absolutely no chance for advancement from within the company, UNLESS you are pals with the owners or in sales. Always bringing in new people from outside without posting the job internally first. The bosses come up with new "visions/ideas" but are quickly abandoned with no explanation. They do not seem to evaluate why those ideas failed and communicate what they learned from these experiments. Nor do they get and use input from the peons who actually work there and use the systems every day. Morale is VERY, VERY low. Lack of communication.

Advice to Management

If you don't sell the company or hire someone else to run it, then create accountability. Get one computer system. Acknowledge loyal and hard working employees. Don't implement ideas on a whim.

"Corporate"

I have been working at Jacobus Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Jacobus Energy is a great place to work, the owners are both very interactive with the business and the employees on a day to day basis. All Departments interact very well together. The company has goals and metrics as a whole that provides employees with the eagerness to strive for success while working hard on exceeding expectations. The owners are always looking at new ways to improve with the systems and incorporate upgrades so customers can rely on state of the art technology for all of their needs. I highly recommend this company as a preferred place to build your career.

Cons

Cannot think of any major or minor cons.

Advice to Management

None