Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Phil Mansell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Other benefits such as free fruit" (in 12 reviews)

• "The majority of the staff are nice people and you will make friends easily enough" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible HR and senior management" (in 14 reviews)

• "Little to no career development or training opportunities" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very pleasant company to work at"

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun, everyone's great to be around

Cons

Management was great, but could have been a little more direction

"2007RunescapeGold LLC Review"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate boss was great. Work day ended at 9 or 6pm for the most part. Paid average to good

Cons

The rest of management is ineffective and out of touch. Not much room for growth. Weak attempt at creating a company culture. There isn't much opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard working employee

3. "Awesome!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AWESOME COMPANY LOVING IT!! Hopefully the New CEO Can Turn it around and add 15+ more years to the future of runescape

Cons

Past Problems but we are now striving Runescape's Future Looks Amazing for the company and the players!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"An absolute joke, from beginning to end. All 8 years of it."

Pros

Probably the best thing about Jagex is the people. By people, I mean the staff on the ground. The managers are pretty much exclusively liars who have got where they are by lying to other liars.

Cons

Management have no idea how to manage people or a business. They yes and guess their way through the day, and end up with a broken team, function and business.

Advice to Management

Leave.

"Good starting point in the games industry, but not somewhere to linger long"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

- Great colleagues, relaxed atmosphere, beautiful office. I've made lifelong friends at Jagex. Most people are incredibly passionate about what they do.
    - A good place to 'get a foot in the door' in the gaming industry. It brings in newcomers and spits out highly-experienced industry veterans.
    - Some good perks, including an on-site canteen, free bike repair, extravagant parties, and private healthcare and dental. Maternity and paternity cover and holiday allowance received boosts recently!
    - Situated within beautiful Cambridge, within a short train of London.
    - The opportunity to work on projects outside of your remit.
    - Handsome bonuses.
    - Great grassroots efforts to improve gender representation and diversity.
    - Things look promising for mobile and OSRS!
    - The community can be amazing.

Cons

- Pay isn't great unless you're at the top, especially for Cambridge, which is an expensive city. Makes you wonder where those record profits go. Many would prefer they were used to increase baseline salaries rather than funnelled into unnecessarily lavish bi-annual parties, which in turn exacerbate an already harmful drinking culture. Nobody even uses the in-house pub they splashed out on!
    - Very little upward mobility. Expect to have difficulty progressing internally. Lots of empty promises too. This ties into my next point, but make sure everything you're offered is written down, so you don't spend months doing extra work to have the goalpost moved and ultimately removed.
    - Lazy management has been known to take advantage of some employees' enthusiasm, indefinitely palming off the responsibilities of those who leave onto existing employees without recognition or an end in sight.
    - Weird end of year grading system that *directly impacts* your bonus amount. A three is everything from 'satisfactory' to 'goes above and beyond'. Four is 'goes above and beyond all the time'. Five doesn't seem to exist. Sends the wrong message and adherence is inconsistent across the company.
    - Recently removed the ability to use alternate Thursdays for learning and other projects, though this is said to be returning in Jan. A similar initiative enabling employees from across the business to submit game ideas was also recently canned.
    - Some toxic departments, namely player support, localisation, and marketing. The former especially is run like a call centre. These employees are also exposed to some of the worst behaviours from disgruntled players. Highly stressful, not great for those concerned about their mental health. Latter is extremely disorganised.
    - On that note, the company pours out empty platitudes about positive mental health but often punishes those who are struggling because of it, causing them to spiral further.
    - Recruitment hasn't always had the best reputation, although hopefully this is improving. Stories about people going for months before hearing anything are quite common, even for internal applicants.
    - Appalling gender pay gap because there aren't many women in senior roles. Hopefully this will change.
    - Player community on social media can be extremely toxic, especially towards female jmods on streams. Mostly abuse or objectification (or both). This has led to many women not wanting to partake in streams anymore, which is a shame. The Live Events (formerly MTX) team especially gets a lot of hate, even threats.
    - Employees discouraged from publicly voicing opinions/ concerns on internal forums (described as derailing) and actively discouraged from comparing notes.
    - No truly healthy options in the canteen. 'Light' often means a smaller portion of something unhealthy.
    - While mostly excellent, some people can be gossipy, cliquey, and unkind.

Bottom line: the quality of your experience will be determined by the quality of your manager. There are some excellent ones and some awful ones who have no business managing other people. Make sure they're someone who's willing stand up for you when/if required.

Advice to Management

- Give managers and HR better training on how to deal with employees who struggle with mental health. They should be supported, not punished. Take a human approach.
    - Improve pay for those on the ground. Don't just say you will or claim to have done so (or 'reviewed' it), actually do it. You'll lose out on great talent.
    - Properly and immediately rehire when people leave. Don't palm off responsibilities. It leaves employees feeling as though you've taken advantage. They're people, not machines.
    - Rethink your end of year scoring system and reward those who put in extra work without compensation.
    - Improve opportunities for upwards mobility. Make sure everyone has a progression plan they're happy with, mandatory.
    - Recommence TAPP with revisions, or provide other avenues/outlets for morale-boosting creativity.
    - Provide support and training for those dealing with players directly.
    - Improve working conditions for player support.
    - Address instances where some employees' incompetence makes life more difficult for those they have to work with.

But mainly:

Read these reviews and turn them into actionable points for change!!! Good people are leaving, and it's only gonna get worse.

6. "Director"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Good management, great community, great perks

Cons

Has strategy but lacks vision and execution

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing in top quality talent

"The Home of Living Games"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked in the games industry with a number of high profile studios all over the world, I can honestly say Jagex has one of the best benefits structures around.

Whilst I cannot speak for everyone, I am very lucky to have the privilege of working alongside super talented, genuine and passionate people that I can learn from, lean on and be inspired by.

We place such a huge emphasis on well-being and charity, consistently smashing our personal bests in terms fundraising with the help of our amazing community.

We're all really excited about our future and have the privilege of extensive years of experience behind us, plus top industry talent joining us, to carry us forward into the third age of Jagex.

Amazing brand representation on a global scale.

An established Women at Jagex group meeting regularly to discuss any issues that affect women in games, as well as tactics to address diversity hires, including ways in which we can inspire the younger generation to consider a career in this amazing industry.

A true dedication to open comms and an encouraging cultural shift from 'we've always done it that way!' to 'how can we do it better?'

Cons

Internal communication platforms are all over the place - we need to take a serious look at improving our internal comms.

The overbearing sense of entitlement of certain individuals - and those that stay silent around them. Why are managers too afraid to call out inappropriate behaviour?

Questionable promotions and figures in high places, but times are changing and they are moving in the right direction.

But really, that's it. The overwhelmingly positive work environment is really hard to beat.

Advice to Management

As we continue to bring in high calibre talent, we need to reflect on our current org structure. Take a closer look - as we adapt and evolve to accommodate our strategy moving forward, who is resistant to change? Who is out of their depth? The true test - who would sink or swim in this industry if they were to ever leave?

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Friendly staff
    * Good opportunities
    * Nice location

Cons

* Rushing projects
    * Lack of repeat success

Advice to Management

Give projects the time they need to achieve success. Focus on quality.

"Growth and change.. this company is going places"

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture shift where leadership is deeply interested in personal growth and opportunity. I wasn't here when it was bad a few years ago, but the current trajectory is overwhelmingly positive.

New products under development with just the right team structure. This has become a fast-paced and experimental dev cycle and the team is overwhelmingly happy.

Benefits galore. This is a great company to work for.

Across-team coordination and bottlenecks are identified, addressed, and mitigated. This company eats its own dogfood and then makes improvements where needed.

Cons

Some very weird decisions like licensing software that is inadequate.

Still some execute fear based on past performance. This seems to have been alleviated recently, but the past still haunts us a bit.

Advice to Management

The vision statements are great and they help the company stay on track. Adding a purpose might help too.

Focus more on success and stop being afraid of failure

Support the people you have better

"Ghosts of the past are gone"

Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Worked here from '10-'13, came back in '17.)
    Huge company-wide focus on mental health and combating workplace stress
    Stronger focus on training that before
    Tech demons are gone - the network and IT policies are much less of a hinderance
    Solid investment in software (especially middleware and third party tools)
    I've yet to encounter any politics of the past
    Great benefits (gym, private healthcare, dental, subsidized food, cycle repair)
    Basic holidays are up from 20 to 25 ( + bank holidays)
    Pay is much more competitive
    Love my job & the team I'm on

Cons

Still lacking clear 'career paths' in areas
    Still has a "Runescape-first" attitude in some departments
    No ability to work remotely, yet.
    Bit too much hierarchy (Junior/Middle/Senior/Lead/Associates/Directors (the list goes on)

Advice to Management

This place is 1000% better than what I experienced before (its why I came back). The people here are great and the cynicism has gone - everyone feels in safe hands and I see everyone trusting each other.
    There is, as always, room for improvement, though. I'd like to see a flatter structure in teams, more IT accountability and introducing some flexibility to work from home on occasion.