Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Phil Mansell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most devs who work there are great people who make it enjoyable to come to work, and have a lot of (often underutilized) talent" (in 16 reviews)

• "Other benefits such as free fruit" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible HR and senior management" (in 14 reviews)

• "Different department strategies almost every month with little to no actual organisational design support or guidance or long term thinking" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very pleasant company to work at"

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun, everyone's great to be around

Cons

Management was great, but could have been a little more direction

"2007RunescapeGold LLC Review"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate boss was great. Work day ended at 9 or 6pm for the most part. Paid average to good

Cons

The rest of management is ineffective and out of touch. Not much room for growth. Weak attempt at creating a company culture. There isn't much opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard working employee

3. "Awesome!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AWESOME COMPANY LOVING IT!! Hopefully the New CEO Can Turn it around and add 15+ more years to the future of runescape

Cons

Past Problems but we are now striving Runescape's Future Looks Amazing for the company and the players!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"An absolute joke, from beginning to end. All 8 years of it."

Pros

Probably the best thing about Jagex is the people. By people, I mean the staff on the ground. The managers are pretty much exclusively liars who have got where they are by lying to other liars.

Cons

Management have no idea how to manage people or a business. They yes and guess their way through the day, and end up with a broken team, function and business.

Advice to Management

Leave.

5. "Director"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Good management, great community, great perks

Cons

Has strategy but lacks vision and execution

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing in top quality talent

"The Home of Living Games"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked in the games industry with a number of high profile studios all over the world, I can honestly say Jagex has one of the best benefits structures around.

Whilst I cannot speak for everyone, I am very lucky to have the privilege of working alongside super talented, genuine and passionate people that I can learn from, lean on and be inspired by.

We place such a huge emphasis on well-being and charity, consistently smashing our personal bests in terms fundraising with the help of our amazing community.

We're all really excited about our future and have the privilege of extensive years of experience behind us, plus top industry talent joining us, to carry us forward into the third age of Jagex.

Amazing brand representation on a global scale.

An established Women at Jagex group meeting regularly to discuss any issues that affect women in games, as well as tactics to address diversity hires, including ways in which we can inspire the younger generation to consider a career in this amazing industry.

A true dedication to open comms and an encouraging cultural shift from 'we've always done it that way!' to 'how can we do it better?'

Cons

Internal communication platforms are all over the place - we need to take a serious look at improving our internal comms.

The overbearing sense of entitlement of certain individuals - and those that stay silent around them. Why are managers too afraid to call out inappropriate behaviour?

Questionable promotions and figures in high places, but times are changing and they are moving in the right direction.

But really, that's it. The overwhelmingly positive work environment is really hard to beat.

Advice to Management

As we continue to bring in high calibre talent, we need to reflect on our current org structure. Take a closer look - as we adapt and evolve to accommodate our strategy moving forward, who is resistant to change? Who is out of their depth? The true test - who would sink or swim in this industry if they were to ever leave?

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Friendly staff
    * Good opportunities
    * Nice location

Cons

* Rushing projects
    * Lack of repeat success

Advice to Management

Give projects the time they need to achieve success. Focus on quality.

"Growth and change.. this company is going places"

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture shift where leadership is deeply interested in personal growth and opportunity. I wasn't here when it was bad a few years ago, but the current trajectory is overwhelmingly positive.

New products under development with just the right team structure. This has become a fast-paced and experimental dev cycle and the team is overwhelmingly happy.

Benefits galore. This is a great company to work for.

Across-team coordination and bottlenecks are identified, addressed, and mitigated. This company eats its own dogfood and then makes improvements where needed.

Cons

Some very weird decisions like licensing software that is inadequate.

Still some execute fear based on past performance. This seems to have been alleviated recently, but the past still haunts us a bit.

Advice to Management

The vision statements are great and they help the company stay on track. Adding a purpose might help too.

Focus more on success and stop being afraid of failure

Support the people you have better

"Associate Producer"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great work life balance
    * Company socials are amazing
    * Exciting projects to work on
    * Company emphasis on stress and wellbeing

Cons

* It's not in London

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, the company has been changing a lot and the direction its being led towards seems positive all round!

10. "Ghosts of the past are gone"

Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Artist in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(Worked here from '10-'13, came back in '17.)
    Huge company-wide focus on mental health and combating workplace stress
    Stronger focus on training that before
    Tech demons are gone - the network and IT policies are much less of a hinderance
    Solid investment in software (especially middleware and third party tools)
    I've yet to encounter any politics of the past
    Great benefits (gym, private healthcare, dental, subsidized food, cycle repair)
    Basic holidays are up from 20 to 25 ( + bank holidays)
    Pay is much more competitive
    Love my job & the team I'm on

Cons

Still lacking clear 'career paths' in areas
    Still has a "Runescape-first" attitude in some departments
    No ability to work remotely, yet.
    Bit too much hierarchy (Junior/Middle/Senior/Lead/Associates/Directors (the list goes on)

Advice to Management

This place is 1000% better than what I experienced before (its why I came back). The people here are great and the cynicism has gone - everyone feels in safe hands and I see everyone trusting each other.
    There is, as always, room for improvement, though. I'd like to see a flatter structure in teams, more IT accountability and introducing some flexibility to work from home on occasion.