Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Phil Mansell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most devs who work there are great people who make it enjoyable to come to work, and have a lot of (often underutilized) talent (in 15 reviews)

• 60 gift voucher on your birthday, team jollies, beer Friday, full health care cover, free gym membership (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible HR and senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Little to no career development or training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

1. "Awesome!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, NC

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AWESOME COMPANY LOVING IT!! Hopefully the New CEO Can Turn it around and add 15+ more years to the future of runescape

Cons

Past Problems but we are now striving Runescape's Future Looks Amazing for the company and the players!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Very pleasant company to work at"

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun, everyone's great to be around

Cons

Management was great, but could have been a little more direction

"Fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - MMORPG Content Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very well experienced staff, well paid, I enjoy working with the games. I'd even do voluntary work at Jagex!

Cons

Very few; maybe I've seen the better side, but it is a fantastic atmosphere, lovely staff and we have great events!

Advice to Management

Focus on less about the money and more about the opportunities and content.

"Great place to work! Exciting and full of opportunity (for people with the right attitude!)"

Current Employee - Technical Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people...I love my team, and ive made great friends here in a relatively short time.
    Great benefits that resonate well with me and my friends.
    Exciting work, its just cool working in the games industry and i love the status that gives me
    Really cool office, especially since the canteen was set up as the food is brilliant and the staff great
    Plenty of opportunities to develop and excel
    A genuine company that tries to do the right thing
    Great support when relocating to the area and a more friendly HR team than ive ever experienced

Cons

Growing very fast means a lot of change occurs regularly, but this isnt necessarily a bad thing as creates opportunities for people with the right attitude
    There are a few v negative people here, many of them have been around for years and havnt worked anywhere else yet think they know everything and moan constantly about the new ideas being brought in by new blood. Their inflexibility is a sign of their inexperience in the real world and sometimes they can really irritate me / the new blood.

Advice to Management

better strategies around integrating new starters with the old guard could be useful, though not sure what sort of things? Might relieve a friction point?

"Great Place to work with great people!!"

Current Employee - Jagex Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Jagex Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great!! I am working with some of the most talented people I have ever met in my life. A vast majority of the people at Jagex are not only work colleagues but also friends in and out of work.

Jagex is a very personable organisation and has a great employee benefits program including the softer benefits such as team fun funds, canteen, games room, bicycle repairs.

They're also really keen to get involved in supporting local charities which is really important to me.

Cons

There is a small but vocal minority of people who always seem to focus on the negative side of anything for example we have great facilities here with a stunning office space yet they moan about the integrity of the hand towels in the toilets.

"Lovely."

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free gym
    - Other benefits such as free fruit
    - Great co workers
    - Overall great
    - Generally a good atmosphere
    - Good salary
    - A high skilled amount of co workers

Cons

- The CEO should have some more trust to the employers.
    - Salary COULD be higher
    - The work hours can be a little long some times

Advice to Management

- Remember to listen to the people who works for you. You have to start listening some more to the players too.

"Lovely place to work"

Pros

The benefits are like nothing i have ever seen before when working for other companies.
    Lots of lovely, driven people.
    Everyone willing to help each other out.

Cons

I don't feel there are any cons

"Future looking bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible working hours that can be changed whenever needed
    - Inspirational studio heads that share a real passion for the products
    - All business support teams are onsite and part of the wider business
    - Great culture and amazing friendly people across the whole business
    - Full day of personal development / personal projects every two weeks
    - New executive team that care deeply about the business and the people
    - Business is being smart with finances, not pouring money down the drain
    - Realistic about strengths and goals, leading onto the right projects and initiatives
    - Great opportunities both in career progression and attending things such as conferences
    - Good benefits package including quarterly team jollies, flash bonus fund, gym membership etc..
    - Confidence that if you work really hard you'll be rewarded with a good bonus and/or progression

Cons

- Long 40 hour weeks
    - Salaries are not competitive
    - Not enough investment in staff training
    - Minimum holiday allowance of 20 days
    - Based in Cambridge raises living costs and the above cons makes it more difficult
    - On-site canteen overpriced compared to the food quality and vending machine prices is robbery

Advice to Management

Be more competitive with salaries and raise holiday allowance to 25, doing this makes the 40 hour weeks and high living costs more digestible.

"Awesome Company - Challenging, Rewarding and Fun"

Current Employee - Management in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time

Pros

Amazing studio with all the latest tech, perfect environment for passionate game developers
    Excellent benefits package, always being improved and added to
    Full of friendly people, good collaboration and improving internal communication
    Exciting new products on the horizon
    Great place for career growth, easy to move internally
    Every skill set under one roof, so much to learn from experts in every field of games development

Cons

Looking for the next big title, can afford to experiment

Advice to Management

Stick to what we are good at, utilise the MMORPG skills within the business

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Jagex full-time

Pros

- The people - Really friendly and helpful, passionate about what they do, intelligent and driven to do well.
    - The benefits and perks - loads of great perks, big and small, including £60 gift voucher on your birthday, team jollies, beer Friday, full health care cover, free gym membership
    - The games room - you are encouraged to play games at lunch time and during breaks in an amazing game room with high spec 64 high spec PCs
    - Nice socials to get involved in - game clubs, board games, sport, movies
    - Challenging and interesting role - you're trusted to get on with your work, people are open to feedback and suggestions and you can get involved in contributing outside of your immediate remit.
    - Management - open to feedback, suggestions and improvements. Listening to feedback and acting on it positively.
    - Internal promotion and career progression is encouraged
    - Work-life balance is good - I've never been asked to work outside of my normal working hours.
    - Stable outlook for future

Cons

- Senior Management could be more down to earth and visible in the studio, e.g. go down to the pub, pop over and say hi, attend socials etc.
    - Overall communications could be better - internal forums, messenger etc.
    - Employees could be consulted more on things like culture, benefits, values, logos etc. - sometimes very top down.

Advice to Management

Get more frequent feedback from people, and show people that you've listened and what you're doing to change things. Consult with people on changes and be more transparent. Communicate improvements and changes better - not just over email.