Jagex Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jagex CEO Rod Cousens
Rod Cousens

Pros
  • Most devs who work there are great people who make it enjoyable to come to work, and have a lot of (often underutilized) talent (in 15 reviews)

• 60 gift voucher on your birthday, team jollies, beer Friday, full health care cover, free gym membership (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible HR and senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Little to no career development or training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

"Great teams, bad management."

Pros

- Great team to work with
    - Benefits are great

Cons

- Bad management
    - Bad decision making that led to the loss of multiple jobs
    - Bad canteen!
    - Crunch times.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to investors and start listening to your employees, stop making decisions that force people to leave.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- No crunch or overtime.

Cons

- Does not seem interested in making games, or developing new products.
    - The only game that supports the company is dying out and there is nothing in development to replace it.
    - Nepotism is widespread particularly in the managment/leadership circle.
    - They use their own internal tools and script language, meaning you don't develop any transferable skills.
    - Little to no career development or training opportunities.
    - People are affraid to given honest or open feedback, especially anything negative or critical of the company or its products. This has resulted in poor quality games/content being developed and resources going to waste,
    - Struggles to retain talent, as skilled individuals are often overlooked for promition, creativilty is non existant and the company leadership is clueless, unorganised and uninspiring.
    - Lots of lazy staff cruising for paychecks. Rather than working smarter they would rather hire more people to throw at the problem.
    - Managers off load their responsibilities onto others and take no accountability for their actions or decisions..

Advice to Management

- Start developing new games, you will never attract any worth wild game developers if you don't show that the company is capable of creating new products,
    - Invest in industry standard tech, such as off the shelf game engines and tools. Use scripting languages that people know.
    - Trim the fat, get rid of unproductive staff and reduce the amounts of "red tape". You dont need so many "managers" or "leaders". Smaller, focused teams are more productive and will result in better products.
    - Don't ignore your failures. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

3. "Very pleasant company to work at"

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun, everyone's great to be around

Cons

Management was great, but could have been a little more direction

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Jagex full-time

Pros

Relaxed, fun and friendly atmosphere. Some of the best people I've ever worked with.
    Lots of room for mobility, especially with access to learning resources and TAPP.
    Fun jollies and office parties. Best benefits package I've had.
    Onsite canteen. Nice office, especially since the refurb (still in progress at the time of writing).
    Really hopeful outlook/atmosphere since the change of CEO - exciting times ahead!
    The saying 'If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life' definitely applies.

Cons

Pay and holiday allowance aren't great, though still better than what I've had in the past.

Advice to Management

Please pay us more so that we can afford to live comfortably in Cambridge!

5. "Sick pay"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

20 days per year very good

Cons

absolutely nothing at all to say

"Working at Jagex"

Former Employee - Game Designer- in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Game Designer- in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Nice people in the actual teams - good social life if you are able to make friends but a few sexist idiots spoil it somewhat.

Cons

Terrible HR and senior management. Reliance on one product. Inability to spot when presumed replacement products were dead in the water.

Advice to Management

Fail fast, fail often rather than develope for 5 years, change tack twice and then finally fail

"Rotting from the inside out"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Benefits, entry into the industry,

Cons

Alternating between micro-management, absentee management, and brutally poor decision-making, the company doesn't seem to have any values they subscribe to and the strategy is little more than "moar money plx". Investment in creativity or innovation is non-existent; the most senior creative staff seem to be about five levels down the MBA-led management structure (none of whom show the first shred of understanding of game development), and technical skills are rated somewhere between the ability to send long emails and the ability to arrange long meetings.

Advice to Management

Show some humility. Learn what communication really means, and how/why you should respect the opinions of the people who create. Actually ask other games companies what's made them successful, rather than by scrutinizing their balance sheets, and you might get a sense of the respect that the best games companies have for creative innovation and how that's nurtured.

"Enjoyable company to work for"

I have been working at Jagex full-time

Pros

- Snr Management very keen on your development and improving things
    - Great game dev environment with a lot of emphasis on fun
    - Amazing jollies and company dos

Cons

- Some very well respected exec management seem to be driven out by something going on at the top
    - Some decisions based on 'metrics and analytics' a bit questionable - would like to see how reliable these analytics are

Advice to Management

Be more transparent on how decisions are made, and allow experts in the company to feed back on data that drives decisions

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Lead Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and good benefits. Apart from that, the only good thing about that experience is the friendship of several people I met at that time.

Cons

Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for in my 15+ years career.
    Management took one bad decision after the other, without listening to experienced developers on their team.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- QA department offers real progression and a sense of belonging
    - Our skills and talents are invested in, we can code, create graphics, release our own content
    - Can work on personal projects for an entire day every two weeks
    - Due to how well the department is setup we rarely need to do O.T, and if we do it's not a lot
    - Huge sense of ownership and accountability for your content, lots of trust placed in you

Cons

- Pay is not terrible, but isn't above average. Cambridge is too expensive which reduces our gain
    - Because of the above you're pretty much restricted to house sharing, which isn't a great life

Advice to Management

- Balance our wages in coordination with location costs, performance AND role. Not just one.