Jama Software Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jama is a company that is very well rounded and full of smart, good people. A solid technology foundation, strong in-house consulting and support, motivated marketing team, and experienced sale professionals all contribute to this balance that is rare to see these days. Consistent growth and a large potential market to capture make this a good place to be in sales. This is backed by an open, safe and supportive work culture.

Cons

I think Jama is in the adolescent period and experiencing the expected growing pains that most companies feel: some lack of clarity on product focus, some inter-department communication silos, some accountability issues. But nothing here to disrupt the momentum or cripple morale. Leadership seems to be steering the ship and is open to feedback from any level.

Advice to Management

Take action and bold moves sometimes at the expense of extra planning. Be a bit more "agile" and get out in front of customers a bit more, who really like the product. I would consider buying complementary technologies instead of trying to partner/build everything. Promote internally to continue to retain and improve people's future outlook.

Jun 21, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate the comments and I think you've describe a lot of what we are working on with pretty good accuracy. As a high growth company, we always need to balance... More

"Started out great, ended less great"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While the product pissed me off like clockwork (I worked in Support while I was there; it was going to happen anyway) it's really great and interesting software, and I loved working with it.

The people are fantastic, smart as hell, and fun to work with. I loved having friends in every department.

I had the best manager and best team I have worked with thus far, and I'm really going to miss them.

The office is beautiful, has a rooftop area, and is close to the riverfront.

Cons

I left because there was no opportunity for me to move into the department that I wanted to be in. If that opportunity was ever going to present itself, I would not have had a reason to leave Jama.

There used to be a lot of career advancement opportunity within the company, and there still sort of is for some departments, but not so much for the folks in Support. My manager gave me and my teammates a lot of opportunity to grow within support, which I really appreciated, and I was able to learn a lot. But to be honest, it felt like I was boxed in.

It's important to clarify that when I asked to learn more about another department, I was never denied that learning opportunity. Movement into other departments might have been stagnant for Support the past 1.5-ish years, but Jama is still very much so supportive of cross-departmental learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

The team managers I have interacted with, especially mine, have all been fantastic, supportive, and really enjoyable. (How many times do I have to write "best manager" to get my point across? Because I'll do it.)

However, my advice to upper management is: Support teams are difficult to replace, even more so when the product has a steep learning curve. A little empathy and care for the support team can go a long way.

Jan 4, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I agree with you that our Customer Care team is an absolutely critical part of our organization and will do my best to make sure I and the rest of the... More

"Don't be fooled by the hip, cool whitewash"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are decent.

Cons

The company is too focused on selling a substandard product when they need to be working harder to develop a better product that does what people actually need.

Advice to Management

Grow up.
    Admit that you do not know everything.
    Listen to people who know more than you do.
    Stop making promises that you cannot keep (to customers and employees.)
    Be honest and open.

Jan 6, 2017 – Chief Executive Officer

Like all companies, we have things that we can improve on but I’m extremely proud of our product and the work that our employees are doing. Your review highlights the constant challenge in leadership... More

"Great people, managment lacked direction"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everybody at Jama is incredibly welcoming and nice. To date, still the friendliest company I've worked at. Day to day social interactions were very enjoyable and I never hated showing up to work. I was able to be very mobile and move around to new positions in the company

Cons

E-team lacked focus and direction and it did make the work suffer. As devops and the top of the support escalation path, when bugs aren't fixed, or when performance issues aren't address in favor of creating new features, your world can suffer.

Advice to Management

Focus on what makes the product stable and strong, not on new bells and whistles.

"Culture-focused, good product, jittery market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jama Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers really love Jama, it's friendly and easy to use. Jama sales and support teams are excellent and get consistently stelar feedback, the product is solid

Cons

While transitioning to become a SaaS company Jama has gone thru leadership and structural changes, our growth rate has leveled off and expectations are high

Advice to Management

deliver on the product roadmap, continue investing in your people, listen more to what's happening on the streets in the real world with our customers

Oct 26, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I really appreciate it. I agree with all of your comments and advice (especially around investing in product roadmap, customers, and employees - these... More

6. "It's a great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jama Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Jama you really feel valued as a person and employee. It's a great working environment and I feel challenged on a day to day basis. Plenty of opportunity for growth and there's real team ethic, we get things done and have fun doing so.

We have a great product that our customers love and more are getting on board daily. The new CEO has made an instant impact and there is a real positive energy about the place right now.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any, you could say we should be growing faster but it feels like careful, measured growth right now.

Aug 26, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for the great review, I’m really proud that Jama is a place where you are advancing your career. Your statement about our company growth is spot on – growth is exactly what we are all... More

7. "Great place - needs swagger"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jama Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative customers who are building really cool products.
    Downtown location. Cool office space.
    Good benefits.
    Great people.

Cons

Risk Averse.
    On-Premises deployment is slow.

Advice to Management

Be bold - take advantage of the market. Pick one deployment model and stick to it.

May 30, 2016 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for the positive review. I agree with your advice - we have a fantastic opportunity in the market and top-notch clients that we have the opportunity to serve. Providing both on-premise and... More

"Wonderful people, great work environment"

Former Employee - Customer Success Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Success Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

The people here are top notch, working hard to help Jama succeed. The company is growing, and the leaders work hard to keep a good, transparent culture as that happens.

Cons

Growth is always hard, and keeping different departments aligned while it happens is a challenge. Sometimes, we lose momentum in the process, and it can be disheartening when you want to be moving.

Advice to Management

Keep momentum. Don't let small groups get left behind. They need direction just like the large groups, and they're easy to overlook when things are moving fast.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Awesome people who are very smart and know what they are doing. I'd say people do not have ego's and are more than happy to answer questions.

Cons

Depends on the department you are in but there are not many people who work remotely. I'd say that could be good or bad for some people.

Advice to Management

There seems to be lots of working be done for specific customers which goes against the SaaS model that Jama is trying to go for.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jama Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Nice office.
    Great place for learning and honing your skills.
    The newer additions to engineering and product seem to have improved processes around development as the company transitions from the 'heroics' of startup work-culture to that of a a more established company.
    It's okay to fail, as long as you learn from it and improve.
    Opportunities to move up and down the technology stack if your are interested.

Cons

Because the company has grown very fast, there is naturally some friction that emerges. Also, there is definitely a divide between the old guard and the new hires.

Advice to Management

Engineering needs some additional technical leadership.