Jama Software Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Scott Roth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Awesome people who are very smart and know what they are doing. I'd say people do not have ego's and are more than happy to answer questions.

Cons

Depends on the department you are in but there are not many people who work remotely. I'd say that could be good or bad for some people.

Advice to Management

There seems to be lots of working be done for specific customers which goes against the SaaS model that Jama is trying to go for.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Jama Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Nice office.
    Great place for learning and honing your skills.
    The newer additions to engineering and product seem to have improved processes around development as the company transitions from the 'heroics' of startup work-culture to that of a a more established company.
    It's okay to fail, as long as you learn from it and improve.
    Opportunities to move up and down the technology stack if your are interested.

Cons

Because the company has grown very fast, there is naturally some friction that emerges. Also, there is definitely a divide between the old guard and the new hires.

Advice to Management

Engineering needs some additional technical leadership.

"Easily the worst company on earth"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software (More than a year)

Pros

I guess the office looks okay.

Cons

Easily the worst company I have ever had the displeasure to work for. There's so much BS within the company that I can't fathom that anything gets done. Time and time again my ideas get shot down and we go with some zany plan that the PMs came up with out of nowhere with no reality based on it.

Terrible hours and crap pay to boot.

Advice to Management

You need to fire all of HR and a good deal of your management if you want to come anywhere close to relevant.

"Great company focused on employee growth and happiness"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about being a software engineer at Jama is that they truly care about what you want and where you are headed in your career. It isn't just talk, either. If you are interested in learning a new skill, trying a new position, pushing yourself further in some way, then management does everything they can to give you that opportunity.

The team is very close and fun to be around, and many times work didn't feel like work. Jama spends a lot of time and money on events that bring the employees closer together. It truly did feel like a family, and I have many great relationships still with the people I worked with.

Jama does great at recognizing achievement and rewarding hard work. How much responsibility and influence you have isn't based on what your resume says or how well you can talk about yourself - it's based on you actually getting stuff done, and being a strong team member that is willing to help others out and make everyone better. So for the ambitious developer, Jama is a great place to be - you will learn, grow, be challenged, and be rewarded. For the developer that feels they should be respected and appreciated for their "senior level" status and not what they do everyday, probably won't be too happy.

Cons

Engineering started to move a little slower in my last year or so. Maybe simply a result of Jama's growth, but there were times I felt we were too scared to take risks, and maybe added some unnecessary overhead with processes and procedures.

Advice to Management

Try to get engineering back to being a fast-moving well-oiled machine, and fight better to get funding to give everyone upgraded hardware and peripherals, not just the seasoned vets.

"Great company for non-engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Jama Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and easy going. Employee on-boarding is very good and everyone is very eager to help you succeed.

Great company if all you want to do is put in your 7.5 hours and bike home.

Cons

There is no real engineering management or direction. There are some very good engineering managers (mine fell into the great camp), but zero technical direction or leadership as a whole. The software arm of the company consists of mostly simple feature work dictated by project managers with little-to-no engineering knowledge.

Everyone is out the door at 5pm sharp. No real drive to do anything exciting technically, and the software is very rudimentary.

Trying to improve processes or technology, or being critical of anything at the company, is looked on poorly. My experience was that the higher ups simply want you to shut up and follow orders.

Spring and Hibernate Java with ExtJS front-end application that scales poorly. This is from the perspective of an engineer working on back-end services, so YMMV.