- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labor & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
- United States - All Cities
- - Maryland
- - Washington, DC Area
- - Rockville, MD
- - Washington, DC
- - Bethesda, MD
- - Arlington, VA
- - District of Columbia
- - Pennsylvania
- - Pittsburgh, PA Area
- - Freedom, PA
- - Virginia
- - Washington State
- - Seattle, WA Area
- - Tacoma, WA
Found 82 of over 93 reviews
- COVID-19 Related
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest First
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "Only speaking from personal experience, Davis helped me get a foot in the industry door and guided me through with great benefit." (in 9 reviews)
- "Friendly people, very pleasant atmosphere." (in 6 reviews)
- "Awesome Leadership" (in 5 reviews)
- "Leadership team is AWESOME." (in 4 reviews)
- "It is a great atmosphere, employees are friendly and very helpful." (in 4 reviews)
- "Weekends aren't necessarily your own and long hours, but you avoid that as an intern" (in 6 reviews)
- "Construction industry is time demanding and work life balance is not the best." (in 4 reviews)
- "Salary is below average, no incentive for overtime which will always be required, even for nights and weekends." (in 4 reviews)
- "First impressions with management seems to dictate career advancement too heavily." (in 3 reviews)
- "This means that Project Engineers and Assistant Project Managers do not receive car allowances although they are on the road just as much as anyone else." (in 2 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of James G. Davis Construction and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
- Former Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★Apr 11, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Davis cares for its employees and provides great benefits
There are days where you will work longer hours, but that is common in construction.
- Former Employee, more than 10 years★★★★★May 22, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
DAVIS offers a friendly and positive atmosphere. Extensive benefits package which can limit salary ranges. Plenty of great opportunities for young professionals out of college. Can be difficult to rise through the ranks as they tend to be slow to promote.
Extensive benefits package which can limit salary ranges. Can be difficult to rise through the ranks as they tend to be slow to promote.Continue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Jul 21, 2022 - Project Engineer in Washington, DCRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Some projects are cool, if you manage to get assigned to one.
You are just a number at Davis. The HR department is a big brother surveillance organization. Project Managers and Superintendents think they are the fraternity brothers and the Project Engineers are their little pledges.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Jul 10, 2022 - Project Engineer in Rockville, MDRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The ESOP Program, variety in clients and teams.
Work life balance can be difficult with driving to multiple locations throughout the week.
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★Mar 2, 2021 - Project EngineerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
DAVIS is more diverse than other construction companies I have worked for. Everyone I've met is respectful of differences and there are no "in-groups" or "out-groups". No one tells you how to get your work done, as long as it gets done. Working at DAVIS is sustainable and the company seems cognizant of employee burnout. There are an endless amount of personal development opportunities at DAVIS. The only thing stopping you from progressing in your career at DAVIS would be yourself.
Nothing that you won't find at any other General Contractor. Long hours and working occasionally on weekends are standard across the industry, however, the starting pay should be about $3,000 higher.Continue reading
- Former Employee★★★★★Nov 11, 2021 - Project EngineerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Has all the tools, diversity and support from top to bottom to be successful
Career growth is limited to how long you have been with the company.
- Current Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★Aug 30, 2021 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
-Great employees -Awesome Leadership -Wonderful Benefits -Updated Workspace -Flexibility
-Certain departments have stricter schedules than others - with COVID this has definitely been moving forward for the better, but I always feel that as long as employees are getting their jobs done, they shouldn't be chained to their laptop for a specific timeframe ("core working hours").
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Oct 15, 2021 - Project Accountant in Rockville, MDRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Great Benefits Work life balance Great Pay
I didn't experience any downsides while working here.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 10 years★★★★★Sep 14, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DCRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Dynamic, thoughtful leadership. Invested employees.
Tough industry, especially in an uncertain time.Continue reading
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★Oct 13, 2021 - IT Helpdesk Supervisor in Rockville, MDRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The company was great! Amazing, family-oriented company.
The bosses were awful. It made working there too stressful.Continue reading
James G. Davis Construction Reviews FAQs
James G. Davis Construction has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 93 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at James G. Davis Construction to a friend and 91% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.
87% of James G. Davis Construction employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated James G. Davis Construction 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.