James McHugh Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James P. McHugh

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at James McHugh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly feels like a family. Coworkers and management take a sincere interest in your well-being.

Cons

There were not any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "IT Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at James McHugh part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. Pays well.

Cons

Always some type of politics

"Wonderful Company full of wonderful people"

Former Employee - Intern in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at James McHugh part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is amazing. The coworkers don't feel like coworkers but more like friends and family. It is a very open environment and I can't remember a day that I did not laugh. It is a very collaborative company and you should expect to work with other people frequently. Supervisors are accessible but do not hover over you which allowed for a sense of independence.

Cons

As with any company, there are company politics. But other than that, no other cons can be said.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Good company good people good facility"

Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at James McHugh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like I said above, good company, good people and good facility. I would have loved to stay in Mchugh's accounting department especially with Dan the new CFO that came on board. But we had to move because my husband got transferred, too bad.

Cons

Everything is very good at Mchugh, if I have to gripe, I must say although it is very good to have flex time in place but a few people blatantly took advantage of the system and as a result the department lost some of its good feelings.

Advice to Management

Hope the new CFO would put an end to the abusive flex timers. Other than that, Mchugh is a great place. Hope I could have stayed.

6. "Very fair group of people to work with"

Former Employee - Carpenter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Carpenter in Chicago, IL

I worked at James McHugh full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Before I started my own business I worked for McHugh for over 10 years. I have never see or experienced any discrimination. They have all sorts working for them and as long as you can do the work, you were treated with respect and paid well. Very good people to work with.

Cons

Just make sure you walk the walk and talk the talk. No bs at McHugh.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. A little more money doesn't hurt either.

7. "Innovative & Excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have been with the company for over 20 years and what impresses me is they always have an appetite for challenging projects like Aqua and going back to Marina City

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard and put in the extra effort you will not fit in well

Advice to Management

continue to look for growth opportunities for the company

8. "Nonstop learning!"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at James McHugh (More than a year)

Pros

This is the place where you find out what you really know is always less than what your team knows.

Cons

If being in a challenging field and problem solving is not your thing, no need to apply here. Money could be better.

Advice to Management

No need to pamper the newbies, the cream will rise to the top.

9. "McHugh folks are terrific to work with"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at James McHugh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The McHugh folks were terrific to work with. They are extraordinarily attentive and communicative and their workmanship is superb. I had a chance to work for a high rise project and my boss was a great mentor. I learnt a lot here. I left the job to move closer to family and friends.

Cons

McHugh is a big company but the owners treat the employees as a family owned does. Sometimes, I feel policies are not fairly enforced. Whoever the owners like will be promoted, the hell with rules and regulations.

Advice to Management

Owners should continue to treat employees respectfully and make them feel like a part of an extended family. I highly recommend McHugh to anyone starting their career in the construction industry.

10. "Started as an Assistant Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at James McHugh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started as an Assistant Project Manager on a downtown project. The people were generally nice to work with. The training offered by the company on various occupational regulations and software programs especially Viewpoint was helpful. Has great IT support whether you are in the office or out on a jobsite. Company offered breakfast and lunch every Wednesday at the main office and was great. Don't know if they still do that anymore.

Cons

Stresses from work load were overwhelming at times. Totally different from my job now in the SE. Had to move out of state as my fiance had to move.

Advice to Management

I would definitely work for McHugh again if there is an opportunity. Keep the Wednesday treats.

11. "A family business poised for explosive growth"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at James McHugh full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at McHugh made me feel very much being part of a family. But at the same time, we all know the company is at a watershed moment. We all anticipate explosive growth in the years ahead with our infrastructure and rail practice gaining serious footholds in their respective areas. At the same time our traditional business of concrete and general contracting is achieving record breaking backlogs. The air of inevitable success permeates this company.

Cons

No question, it is hard work. But we get compensated fairly. Even though our affirmative action group has been making major improvements, our workforce could use more diversity though.

Advice to Management

We all love our twice yearly town hall meetings in which Patty McHugh (the 4th generation!!) and senior management gives overviews and reviews of the state of the firm, but 6 months is a long time to wait. How about every 3 months guys?