JanSport Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Munn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manufacturing Office"

I worked at JanSport full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Flexible, great benefits and they did a lot for it employees. This truly is a great place to work.

Cons

Hard to come up with some.

2. "I loved JanSport"

I worked at JanSport full-time

Pros

An amazing group of people

Cons

Low morale after news of closing....expected

Advice to Management

Nothing to say at this point....just a bummer

3. "End of an Era"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Appleton, WI

I have been working at JanSport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and company to work for! It will be greatly missed :(

Cons

No cons at all, minus it closing :(

4. "Data Entry Technician - Contracting Division"

Former Employee - Data Entry Technician - Contracting Division in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Data Entry Technician - Contracting Division in Appleton, WI

I worked at JanSport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job was amazing. Truly loved every day that I got to go there.

Cons

Just wish I could have continued working there.

Advice to Management

Management shifted around when I had to leave, so I don't know the current management.

"Best Co-Workers, Worst Management"

I worked at JanSport full-time

Pros

The employees are AWESOME!! They are so nice and extremely helpful. Some of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

SUPERVISORS ARE THE WORST. Not all of them, but it only takes ONE to ruin it. If you want good workers to stay, have supervisors who aren't rude and actually care about who they are supervising.

"Cult of JanSport"

Former Employee - RD&D Worker in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - RD&D Worker in Alameda, CA

Pros

Part of VF, Travel Perks, Discounts. They've managed to hold on to a few respectable amazing individuals (The question is for how much longer?)
    Otherwise great for developing the art of brown nosing and stealing credit with no remorse for others work.

Cons

Extremely narcissistic inept upper management save for one or two persons. Absolutely no accountability, foresight, or even basic knowledge of simple computer work and programs. Toxic atmosphere.

In terms of JanSport's HR , you're better off talking to a wall. This individual never once supported the workers, only management, even if all evidence points otherwise.

Advice to Management

Do not hire & low ball highly qualified intelligent workers. Do not continue to lie about the poisonous culture and imaginary wonderful growth opportunities during interviews. It is iinsulting and psychologically damaging to place capable sane individuals under such lunatic management.

Hire barely qualified low IQ candidates who are okay with working in all kinds of half baked directions and destructive leadership. Aim low for those who are unable to do antrying else in life. At least then, everyone will on board to mutually run the company down.

Stop the double standards. Take a hard look at who actually does work vs socializing or shopping online all day. Bringing treats to work should not be mistaken for competency or passed off as work.

Realize rewarding individuals with promotions and salary raises for those who stayed a number of years in lieu of actual competency does nothing to lower the high turn over rates. The good ones never stay long.

7. "The management and front office staff view production employees as inferior."

Former Employee - Staging in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Staging in Appleton, WI

I worked at JanSport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the production employees were very fun people to work with. They made the filthy production floor, mean supervisors, and overall unpleasant work environment much easier to tolerate.

Cons

My supervisor frequently demonstrated some very unprofessional behavior. When he didn't feel that the employees were working fast enough he would have us meet by the staging computers and proceed to yell profanities at us, tell us what lousy employees we were, and threaten that several of us would likely be fired before the end of the week. The turnover was absolutely terrible.

JanSport was drastically unprepared when they started printing the Harley-Davidson apparel. Everything was so unorganized that we never came close to meeting the production numbers that the company was expecting. This led to mandatory 6 day work weeks. We were supposed to receive a 2 day weekend every third week, but this was sometimes taken away if the company wasn't happy with the employees. There were so many printing mistakes and unhappy customers that the company drastically increased the number of Quality Control Auditors in an attempt to minimize mistakes. The QC staff performed countless in-line and outbound audits, but there were so many errors that they were constantly buried with failed audit paperwork.

Working conditions during the Summer months were almost unbearable. It was so hot that employees would pass out from the extreme heat. The heat was mainly due to doubling the number of printing presses and dryers for the Harley-Davidson expansion, and the plant did not have adequate ventilation.

It was absolutely essential to park your vehicle in the correct parking lot. There was a sign at the production employee entrance that anyone caught parking in the retail lot would be towed at their expense.

Advice to Management

As an educated business professional who never worked in a production environment prior to JanSport, I was very disappointed at how poorly you treat your production workers. Morale was extremely low while I worked there and it was very obvious that the management, HR, and the front office staff didn't care. The attitude of, "Don't question us, just do what you're told." led to extremely high turnover and very bad attitudes for the minority that chose not to quit. Locally, JanSport used to be known as a decent company to work for and the number of job openings were limited due to good employee retention rates. Now, JanSport constantly advertises openings and essentially anyone who wants to work there is able to get in.

Threatening to tow your employees cars? What a way to show how much you appreciate the people who work 6 days a week to make the products that keep you in business.

"poor leadership within top level of company"

Current Employee - Textile Graphic Designer in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Textile Graphic Designer in Alameda, CA

I have been working at JanSport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

huge travel budget (thanks VF), good work/life balance

Cons

poor management, no accountability, no mentorship, lower compensation compared to other similar positions

Advice to Management

look to find leadership that knows the industry, design programs and someone who can be inspiring, positive and creative, someone who cares about growth.

"High expectations, little support."

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I worked at JanSport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees on the floor are great. They are just trying to earn an honest dollar. The benefits for a starting level position are great in comparison to what a person would find in most entry level manufacturing jobs.

Cons

Morale is very low. The upper management isn't interested in improving the working conditions for the floor employee. The main focus is on numbers. How much can you get done? How come you didn't get more done? Turnover is extremely high due to the low pay.

"I love what i do and the people i work with, but things have just gotten out of hand with upper management"

Current Employee - Auto Screen Printer in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Auto Screen Printer in Appleton, WI

I have been working at JanSport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people are great, a great product to be proud of making

Cons

To much drama, to many rule changes, very unorganized, For the industry, the pay isn't good

Advice to Management

Take some advise from the employees that work for you and use it, don't throw it out the window. I think it would make for a great work place like it used to be