Jane Street Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Jane Street Managing Director Sandor Lehoczky
Sandor Lehoczky

"Anonymous"

I worked at Jane Street full-time

Pros

Best company that I've ever worked at. They appreciate their employees and treat them well. Great corporate culture. Enjoyable work environment where people are challenged to do their best.

Cons

New employees can easily put on the 'freshman fifteen' from all the available food.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Analyst, Trader Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst, Trader Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Surrounded by intellectually challenging people as well as an intellectually challenging position which I thought to be one of the best parts of this job

Cons

Everything. All of it is bad and horrible people.There was almost no pros of working in such a horrid work place. Every one is so rude and there is no freedom and I hate it.

"Overall good place to learn"

Pros

Extremely smart people, generally good culture

Cons

Can be tiring only doing technical work and discussing quantitative topics in and out of the office

5. "Great company"

Pros

Everyone is very smart and interesting. The salaries are fantastic, the work is interesting, its a great company.

Cons

I loved it there, no issues.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are the best.

6. "Assistant Trader"

Former Employee - Assistant Trader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Trader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Jane Street (Less than a year)

Pros

A nice atmosphere yes this is the best thing about it and the people were cool and friendly too

Cons

A hard superior, sometimes so much work and not enough Indians more chefs than Indians

Advice to Management

keep learning opportunities relevant and keep employees informed on the status

"Tech wannabes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jane Street full-time

Pros

Money, but nothing comes for free.

Cons

They try to be a tech company to entice the best grads and avoid the SEC and media focusing on what they really are - a flash boys hedge fund/high frequency trading firm. Senior partners have too much power and are massively out of touch due to their extreme wealth and egos. Argumentative discussion style. Disgusting wall street excess to the max.

"Lots of Fun, Always Interesting"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Jane Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jane Street has been an incredibly rewarding experience. You are working with some of the top minds in the world, collaborating on very difficult problems. I am a trader, so I am constantly scouring the market for opportunities, tweaking our trading systems, and developing tools to help us trade more effectively. There is very little to no administrative work (outside of doing interviews), and a single hour long meeting per week.

The people here are incredibly smart, yet humble. Think of it as the very top of the ivy league math and computer science departments, so probably some of the geekiest people you've ever met will be your co-workers. However, not all departments are like that and some are extremely outgoing and charismatic (dating back to the days of floor trading I guess). Everyone is willing to help on just about anything, from the simplest questions to the advanced problems. Few are arrogant, and in fact the company will not hire you if you have an unchecked ego.

The pay is really high at the start, even compared to other trading firms. You will have no trouble securing a comfortable apartment in any part of Manhattan on the base salary alone. The bonuses are also high, and they are based on overall performance of the firm. You don't have an individual profit/loss number and never feel that an unlucky stretch will sink your bonus opportunities.

The perks are awesome, I won't go into specifics but you receive a very generous package of benefits covering just about everything you could think of. Breakfast and lunch are catered, or you can also have food delivered on the company tab. The kitchen is fully stocked with food, fruit, beverages, snacks, and candy. Jane Street really takes care of its employees.

The hours are also quite reasonable for this kind of job. You'll never have set times that you must come in and leave by. I work about 50 hours per week and am about in the middle. Some people work more, some less. There are also very few to no days where you feel that you "must" stay late to finish something. You never work weekends or nights.

The people are awesome. Everyone works hard while they're here, but nobody gets burned out or has unreasonable expectations. There is practically no hierarchy at all, and little to no busy work.

Finally, the firm has very high ethical standards. We will intentionally avoid strategies that, while legal, are ethically in a gray area. I've yet to run into anything truly illegal happen at this place.

Cons

The only weird downside is eating lunch at your desk. Traders don't get up from their desk more than a few times a day, and never for longer than to grab food or use the bathroom.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, Jane Street is an amazing place to work!

"Great perks but few advance opportunities for non-traders"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jane Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing work life balance with catered lunch daily, in-house gym and fully stocked pantry. People who work here are clearly brilliant

Cons

Non-revenue generating departments could be organized better. Industry knowledge is difficult to apply outside of the quantitative trading space.

"Good place"

Current Employee - Assistant Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Trader in New York, NY

Pros

I really thought that the culture t the company was a great experience. All the traders were extremeely smart and definitely knew what they were doing in terms of ability.

Cons

Some of the interns were arrogant because of the universities they went to or the type of people they hung out with. Not a great culture fit in my opinon.

Advice to Management

Just be careful about who you give the job to because many people promote an unhealthy and competitive experience for other interns.

"Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Jane Street (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of things: great hours, work with lots of smart and sociable people, amazing company culture, good food.

Cons

Can be intense and physically exhausting, but I suppose this is the nature of the beast in finance

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart and interesting people, and maintain the company culture. The rest will follow!