Jane Street Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Jane Street Managing Director Sandor Lehoczky
Sandor Lehoczky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also great mentorship, really smart people, learned a lot (in 7 reviews)

• Interesting work and bright people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no cons at Jane Street (in 3 reviews)

• pretty intense competitively, nerdy culture (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Jane Street full-time

Pros

People are very smart and the culture is great.

Cons

Not a whole lot of bad

"Weird Culture"

I worked at Jane Street full-time

Pros

The food was always good, as were the benefits and the compensation. The company makes money, they are certainly good at that.

Cons

They were not innovative from a technology perspective. The company is run by a set of partners, that work at the company, but you are not allowed to know who they are. It has a very weird culture.

Advice to Management

Just because you are making money, doesn't mean you are doing things right. Being self-reflective can make for a better work environment.

"Great company filled with smart motivated people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jane Street full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not just a cog in a machine, your opinions matter

Cons

Tough to stick to a diet with all the free food around

"Great Company"

I have been working at Jane Street full-time

Pros

A great place to work.

Cons

I can't think of one.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Jane Street full-time

Pros

Best company that I've ever worked at. They appreciate their employees and treat them well. Great corporate culture. Enjoyable work environment where people are challenged to do their best.

Cons

New employees can easily put on the 'freshman fifteen' from all the available food.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Analyst, Trader Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst, Trader Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Surrounded by intellectually challenging people as well as an intellectually challenging position which I thought to be one of the best parts of this job

Cons

Everything. All of it is bad and horrible people.There was almost no pros of working in such a horrid work place. Every one is so rude and there is no freedom and I hate it.

"Overall good place to learn"

Pros

Extremely smart people, generally good culture

Cons

Can be tiring only doing technical work and discussing quantitative topics in and out of the office

"Great company"

Pros

Everyone is very smart and interesting. The salaries are fantastic, the work is interesting, its a great company.

Cons

I loved it there, no issues.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are the best.

"Lots of Fun, Always Interesting"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Jane Street full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jane Street has been an incredibly rewarding experience. You are working with some of the top minds in the world, collaborating on very difficult problems. I am a trader, so I am constantly scouring the market for opportunities, tweaking our trading systems, and developing tools to help us trade more effectively. There is very little to no administrative work (outside of doing interviews), and a single hour long meeting per week.

The people here are incredibly smart, yet humble. Think of it as the very top of the ivy league math and computer science departments, so probably some of the geekiest people you've ever met will be your co-workers. However, not all departments are like that and some are extremely outgoing and charismatic (dating back to the days of floor trading I guess). Everyone is willing to help on just about anything, from the simplest questions to the advanced problems. Few are arrogant, and in fact the company will not hire you if you have an unchecked ego.

The pay is really high at the start, even compared to other trading firms. You will have no trouble securing a comfortable apartment in any part of Manhattan on the base salary alone. The bonuses are also high, and they are based on overall performance of the firm. You don't have an individual profit/loss number and never feel that an unlucky stretch will sink your bonus opportunities.

The perks are awesome, I won't go into specifics but you receive a very generous package of benefits covering just about everything you could think of. Breakfast and lunch are catered, or you can also have food delivered on the company tab. The kitchen is fully stocked with food, fruit, beverages, snacks, and candy. Jane Street really takes care of its employees.

The hours are also quite reasonable for this kind of job. You'll never have set times that you must come in and leave by. I work about 50 hours per week and am about in the middle. Some people work more, some less. There are also very few to no days where you feel that you "must" stay late to finish something. You never work weekends or nights.

The people are awesome. Everyone works hard while they're here, but nobody gets burned out or has unreasonable expectations. There is practically no hierarchy at all, and little to no busy work.

Finally, the firm has very high ethical standards. We will intentionally avoid strategies that, while legal, are ethically in a gray area. I've yet to run into anything truly illegal happen at this place.

Cons

The only weird downside is eating lunch at your desk. Traders don't get up from their desk more than a few times a day, and never for longer than to grab food or use the bathroom.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, Jane Street is an amazing place to work!

"Assistant Trader"

Former Employee - Assistant Trader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Trader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Jane Street (Less than a year)

Pros

A nice atmosphere yes this is the best thing about it and the people were cool and friendly too

Cons

A hard superior, sometimes so much work and not enough Indians more chefs than Indians

Advice to Management

keep learning opportunities relevant and keep employees informed on the status