Janesville School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher

I worked at Janesville School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership tries to care for all employees. They set up meeting throughout the year to get input on how the school is running and areas of improvement. Staff is really friendly and easy to get to know.

Cons

The district is so big, it makes the leadership very busy and they are often pulled from the schools that they work at. Parents have a lot of saying in what happens in the school. Some times the staff feels unsupported.

Advice to Management

Take a stand against parents and students demands. Listen to your teachers first instead leaning towards parents desires.

2. "In a decade - Great!... to Horrible"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Janesville School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the building level, most schools are warm and welcoming. You just have to be careful about which school. Some have great principals, others quite the opposite.

I think the district wants to improve. They just seem to have some crazy ideas of how to go about it.

The district has money, which could be an asset once they learn where to apply funds to increase achievement.

Cons

The bureaucracy is incredibly damaging to the district. Teachers have no voice. It's a top-down style of administration, and they let you know it. Policies are overly data-driven, sometimes using old data and ideas that have already gone by the wayside.

The Superintendent sometimes makes crazy choices - like the year they fired ALL the guidance counselors and Library Media Specialists and later hired some back under a different job title. I think they lost half their guidance counselors that year. They left for other jobs before the district starting hiring some back a couple months after firing them all. That was a serious statement of how much the staff was undervalued.

The Superintendent is on her way out now, so maybe the pendulum will begin swinging back for the district.

Advice to Management

Let go of the national trends and new ideas that have already shown themselves to be unworthy and listen to your teachers about what works in their classrooms and what doesn't. Also, get rid of your Chief Information Officer. He does more damage than good.

3. "Unfair compensation"

Pros

Working with children is very rewarding

Cons

The pay is terrible and there are not nearly enough paraprofessionals for the number of children they serve.

4. "ELL Aid"

Former Employee - ELL AIDE in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - ELL AIDE in Janesville, WI

Pros

Great Working With Children! Always Rewarding!

Cons

Pay is much lower than surrounding area.

Advice to Management

Bring Back Full Time Aide Positions.

5. "Spanish Teacher/Telecast Education"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School World Languages in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School World Languages in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Janesville School District full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, school atmosphere. Leader in International Education, and Technology.

Cons

Political changes for educators. Teaching to the tests.

Advice to Management

Support your teachers. Have High Expectations for students and ask for parent support.

6. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

Pros

None, none, none, none, none.

Cons

Unprofessional district. All, all, all, all.

Advice to Management

Obsession with test scores have wrecked programs, teachers, and students.

7. "Great People, Great District!"

Current Employee - Title I Teacher's Aide in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Title I Teacher's Aide in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Janesville School District (More than 3 years)

Pros

This district wants what's best for kids. High Achievement.

Cons

Communication is an issue at times, but has be increasing been getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the children, and what they can bring to the future!

8. "I worked in the food service/ custodian positions"

Former Employee - Food Servivce Helper/Custodian in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Food Servivce Helper/Custodian in Janesville, WI

Pros

I liked working with/ around the children/ staff very polite people, I liked that they promoted within before going out to the public.

Cons

I didn't like the fact of not having benefits.

Advice to Management

When doing an evaluation on a person upper management should come in and watch, or check in on the person they are evaluating, because how other wise would they know how your doing besides the word from your supervisor whom may or may not like you.

9. "Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the special needs kids. It was very rewarding knowing the impact I had on their lives.

Cons

When it came time for testing these kids were held to the same standards as the regular kids and that was unfair.

Advice to Management

Must be transparent and consistent through the district.

10. "Great at the school-level, terrible at the district level"

Current Employee - Teacher in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Janesville School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the option to work in a incredible plethora of diverse schools. From massive poverty and at risk populations to upper-middle class, Janesville runs the gamut in terms of variety in school populations. I've only worked in one school, but have travelled around to quite a few and one thing always strikes me; the consistently dedicated and devoted teachers and hard-working principals.

Overall, the school I work in is wonderful. The principal, albeit overworked, is dedicated and truly wants the best for her staff. My co-workers are hard working and exceptionally devoted. Technology is also improving and I find my school to be well-equipped. I've found resources to be plentiful, all around.

Cons

I'll be quite honest in saying that while the schools are great to work in, the district-level bureaucracy is enough to dissuade me from continuing teaching in the district. In the last couple of years, I have witnessed a heavy conservative undertone in leadership. Whereas most workplaces (and schools) in the U.S. are moving towards more comfortable and casual dress policies, the Janesville school district felt it necessary to enforce a 1950's-esque dress code that left most teachers running for their rulers to measure the length of their skirts! As well, I've seen the district enforce many half-baked concepts and policies with an iron fist, leaving staff and principals scrambling to figure out what's actually going on. As well, the district is wrought with an arrogance that is, frankly, unbearable. I've worked in many progressive schools, but apparently the school district of Janesville thinks it's leading the pack in education leadership and concepts. Enough so, that they find it necessary to re-teach new hires from out of district, their way of teaching, in their unbearable 2 (sometimes 3) day long professional developments, led by district higher-ups. I found them to be an amazing waste of time and bordering on offensive to even subject a master's prepared teacher to! On the opposite side of the spectrum, in my two years, I've never seen anyone from the district visit, much less enter a classroom at my school! The cherry on top? Teachers in Janesville haven't received a cost of living raise in years, not that it matters, it's only .75% on your base wage.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries if you want to keep quality employees around for more than a few years. Cut the bureaucracy and district shenanigans and give principals more control of their schools.