Janicki Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Janicki

1. "Technician at the Hamilton Plant"

Former Employee - Technician in Hamilton, WA
    Former Employee - Technician in Hamilton, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Indoors, good pay and benefits, short drive to work if you live upriver in Skagit County.

Cons

There are bosses that tell you to hurry up and then go slack off. A lot of employees will smile to your face, then talk bad about you behind your back or even blame you for something when you're not there to deny it. The managers will run with whatever story they hear first, so long as it doesn't make them look bad to their bosses. There is no investigation, nobody else involved will be questioned, and the cameras around the building are just for show. Also, you never even know what your boss is saying about you to his boss.

I have been given orders, then had my boss deny giving them to me when his superiors got angry. That same boss would regularly present other's ideas as his own. His idea of motivation was to tell people they would have to do overtime until certain goals were met, leaving to go sit and gossip in another part of the building, then acting like he was doing them some big favor by letting them go when the buzzer rang.

Many Leads and Managers will think of a faster sketchier way to do something, then go find someone crazy or stupid to actually do it. The negativity also really got to me. Everyone complains about the company, even the people who make it the horrible place it is. There is never a shortage of rumors floating around.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. If you are slacking off, leaning on a part and talking about women or sports or your glory days in the navy, Then your underlings are either doing the same thing or they are building resentment towards you. Also, If mistakes due to laziness decrease, Then less underlings need to get thrown under the bus.

"Not As Advertised"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of Hours, regular 50-60 hour weeks
    Good Benefits
    Interesting Projects
    Opportunity to learn new skills

Cons

No Employee Reviews
    Very Little Chance for advancement
    Very low moral among the shop employees
    HR is a joke
    Very high employee turnover

Advice to Management

Nothing can really be fixed without addressing the main issue of upper management and the fact that they are all "good ol boys" who treat lower employees with no respect.

3. "Composite fabrics tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro Woolley, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro Woolley, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays... good benefits..some of the leads are pretty cool....I worked for this company almost 10 years...

Cons

Use this place for a stepping stool only.....if you are a woman you will not go real far.....my pay rate was pretty embarrassing to say the least.... women usually have the hands on work around there.. ..your manager will not go to bat for you to get a raise.....you need to be in a certain "click" if you want a raise....you know go golfing with the manager on weekends......lunch and drinks... don't get me wrong theirs people that do get raises but you gotta be in the group.... a "secret comity" for lack of better term...

Advice to Management

Don't pick your buddy's to do the easy jobs and make the women do all the hard work around there....it's ridiculous....give people raises.....I have seen this company loose so many key people through the years...

"Assembly Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, WA

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy interview process. Variety of work with no two days the same. I have learned a lot about the composite industry.

Cons

No problems so far at this time. Pay could be better seems lower than industry standard. Location is a little out of the way.

"Not Family Oriented"

Current Employee - Production Tech in Hamilton, WA
    Current Employee - Production Tech in Hamilton, WA

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hours. LOTS of hours. If you want them, you got them. Good job for someone single looking to make a quick few bucks until they move on to the next thing. Not many full-time jobs close to home, so that is a perk.

Cons

Too many hours! You may notice reviews both glowing and begrudging. This is because JI has two plants in Washington and one in Utah. People love the Utah and one of the Washington is regarded as a fun, fast paced, enjoyable place to work. The other is everything but. Constantly you are under the microscope, afraid you may get fired at any moment, as people can be let go based on nothing but a grudge. Janicki talks about being family first, but this is rarely reality. The CEO enjoys giving these pep talks about how they care so much for the employees and how the priority of Janicki Industry is the employees and their families. Well get ready to work 50-60+ hours for the majority of the year. Your Saturdays are no longer yours, though you may only find out that fact on Friday afternoon, and vacations can be cancelled if it interferes with production. People are a necessary evil, and unfortunately for them, they have lives beyond the walls of the company. If you think that you will be able to put in your 40 and enjoy your days outside of work, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

It is time to recognize that this company has division of a profound scale. The hands off approach to letting the good old boy club run your company has created a mess. Now the two plants that you personally work closest with have employees who enjoy their jobs and the third has been called a sweatshop and a prison more recently than I have ever heard before. This may be a bit dramatic, but the sentiment is genuine. People are getting fed up and morale is in the tank.

"Pros didn't out weight the cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA

Pros

Learned a lot in a yr and gained some great work experience. Good starting job. CEO was great, his was the best part about my time there.

Cons

My manager was the worst I have had to date. In a male dominated industry I was talked down to as a women. Management was cultish and had little or no time help you grow.

Advice to Management

Let go of the management people who have bad attitudes get some fresh blood in there to make positive changes. A lot of complacent people who bully others.

"Worker 3+ years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Layton, UT

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent teamwork culture
    Strong "can do" environment
    Honest Management with Integrity

Cons

Minimal vacation and holiday time-off. (6 holidays and 1 week vacation for first 5 years work)
    Middle-lower pay for aerospace industry

Advice to Management

Add more holidays or vacation time off
    Keep it up

"If experienced - move along"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sedro-Woolley, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has history of entrepreneurial spirit and "can do" reputation.

Great place to start if you are recently graduated with the correct degree from just the right university, "Go Dawgs", excellent hair, and a desire to build your resume.

Cons

Company culture is changing. This was a very entrepreneurial company for many years providing lots of great challenges. Work was usually fun and creativity was at least not frowned upon.

Those in leadership and management positions are failing to rise to the challenge of tougher economic environment and competition. Owners do not seem to be finding their way. Mid and upper level managers seem to be rewarded for being either a "yes" person or a jerk.

Solid leaders who know what they're about have become either rare and under-utilized, or looking forward to "opportunities" elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Sell to an organization with the energy, interest and skill sets to make JI a great place to work again.

"The place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sedro-Woolley, WA

I have been working at Janicki Industries full-time

Pros

I really enjoy my time at Janicki! The people are welcoming and excited to come to work. The projects are interesting and I am learning constantly from my coworkers, leads, and managers. The innovation and creativity that JI encourages makes me feel like a valued employee. Plus the plants are surrounded by beautiful mountains and wildlife. If you enjoy hiking, fishing, kayaking, ect. JI is the place to be.

Cons

The drive sometimes can be tiresome, but for the most part that is the only con.

"Does being the only game in town make having a crooked dealer OK?"

Former Employee - Lead Technician in Hamilton, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Technician in Hamilton, WA

I worked at Janicki Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Beginner to intermediate composite experience available in exchange for you time.

- The fading fast "family run" feel.

- Great core group of workers.

Cons

- Chain of command structure ending at a bottom line mentality weak link.

- Short sided profit driven goals undermining good sense and wiping away the founders hard earned reputation.

Advice to Management

- Have a look at the big picture, beyond your own numbers and performance goals.
    - Man up, ask around to see how you are viewed by fellow workers. Being a bully is no longer an acceptable management style.
    - Reread "The Goal", find a way to see that value can be added beyond profit. ie; quality, craftmanship, customer service, integrity, general moral, etc.
    - Treat the average (Hispanic) employees with more respect (like Humans).
    - Put a stop to the run away "yes man" mentality. Sheep are great for wool/meat production, not so much aerospace tooling and parts production.
    Q: Is it healthy to have a work force so browbeat that they would all follow you over a cliff, not out of loyalty, but for fear of loosing their jobs if they point out the upcoming drop?

To the founding family.

This strategy has been useful thus far boosting your company quickly up the ladder of success, just make sure:
    1.) You are still driving when you reach the top.
    2.) Your community can sustain the abuse.
    3.) Your name and quality can be used in the same sentence.