Janney Montgomery Scott "high turnover" Reviews | Glassdoor

Janney Montgomery Scott Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated Jan 17, 2019

3.9
Janney Montgomery Scott President and CEO Tim Scheve (no image)
Tim Scheve
Pros
Cons
  • "I have never seen such high turnover in my career, but it is easily explained given that Janney doesn't conduct exit interviews(in 6 reviews)

• "Sometimes there is a lack of formal training(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews

"Horrid middle management, very high turnover, archaic technology"

Former Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Janney Montgomery Scott full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful office in Center City Friendly coworkers Not much else

Cons

I have never seen such high turnover in my career, but it is easily explained given that Janney doesn't conduct exit interviews. Nor do they invest in performance reviews (you will never be given the chance to give feedback on your manager.) So the same position will turnover 3 times in fewer than 18 months. Managers/VP's become managers only because they are the only people not saavy or qualified enough to leave,... not because they are good managers. Systems are poor, data management is archaic (I have spreadsheets that were 750k rows (and I was not in data analytics!) Processes are extremely manual, you focus less on analysis and more on data extraction and manipulation (again, I didn't work on IT or Operations.) Leadership is truly pathetic at the Manager and VP levels, I had better managers working at a diner and Starbucks. Men leave jobs in Wealth Management , and women are hired into them at half the pay. Entire departments quit at the same time, leaving management desperate and scrambling, thus perpetuating the same cycle. You will be miserable if you work here, don't do it. Benefits are extremely expensive, I basically paid for all of my own healthcare because my deductible was $1,500, and I had the most expensive plan. Sick days are limited to 7 PTO days, though you'll still have to do most of your work here upon you return.

Advice to Management

Train your managers - and yourselves. Invest in exit interviews, unless you really don't care what happens to Janney. Invest in technology. Offer more affordable health plans.

Janney Montgomery Scott2019-01-18

"Janney? Are you sure?"

Current Employee - Undisclosed Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Janney Montgomery Scott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in Center City

Cons

Janney has very little to offer in terms of diversity and competitive pay. 80% of the people you work with will be white. 70% will be men. Women coming into Janney will most likely be filling a position that a man walked away from or was fired from, and there’s a good chance that these women will be paid significantly less for that same job. Many departments within Janney have high turnover rates, mostly because of... the poor pay. Janney has trouble holding onto talented people because jobs are available elsewhere with better benefits, a more diverse workforce, better pay, and a more relaxed company culture. If Janney does not work to resolve these issues they will eventually run every capable person out of their company. The fact of the matter is, you can find something better.

Advice to Management

Pay competitively and fairly. Hire with diversity in mind.

Janney Montgomery Scott2017-03-01
  3. "Investment Banking Analyst"

I have been working at Janney Montgomery Scott

Pros

work-life balance and good location in Center City

Cons

low pay, high turnover, etc.

Janney Montgomery Scott2016-07-19

"Corporate office"

Corporate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Janney Montgomery Scott for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, the people are nice, appreciative and willing to work with others.

Cons

High turnover in some departments, usually do to burn out or higher salaries offered elsewhere.

Advice to Management

We have talented, hard working people who believe the only way to grow or take the next step in their careers is by leaving the firm. I think there should be a better effort and more wiggle room to keep talent.

Janney Montgomery Scott2015-12-19

"IT management is a joke"

I have been working at Janney Montgomery Scott full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very well established and old company. Good name in the Street and reputation.

Cons

Pay and benefits is not competitive. IT end user support management is run by incompetent individuals who are not qualified for their role. High turnover rate for individual contributors. Give credit when credit is due. Management seems to steal credit from individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Reshape and train management in IT, pay well to keep top talents.

Janney Montgomery Scott2015-05-05

"Weigh Your Options Carefully Before Applying"

Former Employee - Corporate Services in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Janney Montgomery Scott full-time for less than a year

Pros

The firm has a pretty "clean" reputation in terms of how they do business. Very polished atmosphere. The people are also very nice and friendly.

Cons

The hours are very long. Not suitable for moms with young children. The pay, perks (which are none), and overall benefits are not attractive and makes it much worse since they seem to demand a lot. Quite a few departments have a very high turnover rate so proceed with caution when applying. Don't just look on the surface. Do your research and weigh your options carefully. If I had done this I would not have bothered... to waste my time and would have simply went to work for another company.

Advice to Management

Stop being scared to rock the boat. Do more to make your employees happy. Take some risks. In order to keep people on board, you have to "do more" for the people.

Janney Montgomery Scott2014-05-29