Janus Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Tony Loop

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Many Rewards, Satifying Work"

Current Employee - Lots of Them Through the Years in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Lots of Them Through the Years in Augusta, GA

Pros

JANUS is a very well managed company with lots of diversity in the workforce- everyone gets an opportunity to excel. High performance is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Mediocracy is not tolerated, but that is only a CON to those who are only looking for a job to simply pay the bills. If that is you, you probably won't be happy at JANUS.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow junior employees- they are the future of the company.

2. "Employer Review"

Former Employee - Animator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Animator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Janus Research Group (Less than a year)

Pros

free coffee, snacks and soft drinks

Cons

Upper management doesn't know what they are doing. The gap between Artist/Programmers and upper management is to large. No communication between employees. Money wasted on frivolous needs/wants instead of it's employees and software.

Advice to Management

Time to Revamp your image and learn from your past mistakes

3. "Good, but could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evans, GA

I have been working at Janus Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are great. Good with family needs. A good number of holidays and more than average PTO.

Cons

Leadership is getting dated. They like their 'old' ways and refuse to change although a big division in the company is dying from lack of work, but not lack of talent.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Automate and get outside of your comfort zone. Going after just "bread and butter" work will eventually leave you starving.

4. "VTC Administrator /COMSEC Instructor"

Former Employee - VTC Administrator/Instructor in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - VTC Administrator/Instructor in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Had the ability to train some of the best Active, Reserve, and National Guard soldiers.

Cons

As a contractor your career / pay depends solely upon the ability of your company, and their ability to negotiate the contact, especially during option years. Every few years a new Military chain of command is put in place, most have been at best marginal to poor. Contract management, only will take care of themselves, you as the subject matter expert in your field are replaceable at a moment's notice.

Advice to Management

To the Military chain of command, listen to the advice of your subject matter experts.

5. "Great place to work with long-term employment potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evans, GA

I have been working at Janus Research Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company really values and stands behind employees that contribute to the success of the company. Long-term employment is almost guaranteed when you perform at your best. The work comes with a variety of unique challenges and opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

It's still work, can't get away from that.

Advice to Management

Communication up and down the ladder can always be improved.

"My experience for the most part has been great. The company does their best to take care of their employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evans, GA

Pros

They legitimately try to take care of their people. There's a lot of loyalty, which is great! The people are great! Everyone gets along, and there is no drama. They celebrate birthdays each month, buy lunch often, and cater thanksgiving dinner. And they typically do a Christmas get together of some sort. They try to put people on projects they want to help shape them for the future. Growth potential is definitely possible here.

Cons

Lack of communication from executive management. There is often department wide meetings to discuss what's going on in the company, but never any of the executives.

Advice to Management

The executives should try to communicate more with everyone and develop better relationships with them. There are some great people working at Janus and it is important for them to know they are important and appreciated. This will add to the loyalty and quality that is important to Janus.

"CEO flaunts money but won't give a fair wage"

Former Employee - Programmer, Left On My Own Accord in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Programmer, Left On My Own Accord in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Janus Research Group (More than a year)

Pros

my manager was cool. He left too though.

Cons

I started out at Janus making less than average of what my profession should be making by at least 20%. With that being said, I was one of the lucky ones since others with more experience than me got way less. By way less I mean like 10-15k less. To make that worse, raises weren't given until just recently. From what I hear they were not even cost of living. If that doesn't sound bad enough, keep in mind that some people waited 2-3 years for these raises. At the same time we received emails about the CEO going to the Sochi Olympics as well as plans about this big two story building that they plan on building in Evans. Heres the real kicker now, just days before laying off some employees, the CEO put out an email congratulating everyone of record profits. If that's not a slap in the face then I don't know what is. Let's not even talk about the multimillion dollar house that is being built on these profits.

Money is my first point. Here's the next, lazy dreaming people. There are a couple of individuals who are in senior positions that have no reason to be there. Their skills as well as ability to work as a team fail miserably. A couple of them are more harm than good.

Lastly, project are not coming in for this company as of late. So if you want a low wage and a high chance of being out of a job I would look elsewhere.

If you just want to sit around and do nothing all day, this company is for you. If you go unnoticed, you'll not get the axe. If you work your butt off, then you need to be worried.

Advice to Management

Management, after you get some contracts, get rid of the dead weight and give the hard workers a fair wage. This doesn't mean keep the butt kissers. It means figure out who actually is helping and who isn't.

"Dissatisfied Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Janus Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The nice thing about working at Janus was the paycheck every two weeks was timely.

Cons

The mood at this company became gloomy when raises were delayed and it became increasingly clear the company had its self not employees best interest. There is no growth within the company, job titles are created to keep staff at low wages, many of whom are accepting of this because they are retired. Low quality work is consistently pushed through because of poor project management and quality control. If you are looking just to draw a paycheck this company might be ideal for you.

Advice to Management

Become more involved in day to day activities; improve project management staff, increase recognition of employees who go above and beyond job titles, learn from the failures of your sister company and don't repeat same mistakes. Create in house advancement opportunities.

"Fantastic Company to work for, giving soldiers a chance to show their stuff"

Current Employee - SATCOM SME in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - SATCOM SME in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Janus Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotes a self driven work environment, with a very hands off management approach.

Cons

Leave/Sick PTO policy could use a bump for starting employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Best place I've ever worked at in my 30+ year career"

Current Employee - Director of Art and Animation Technology in Evans, GA
    Current Employee - Director of Art and Animation Technology in Evans, GA

I have been working at Janus Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super agressive company taking on very challenging dealines whislt maintaining the highest quality content. Rare if any crunch-time, very well managed developmental pipeline. The is no other multi media developer for our county's finest that can deliver the level of quality at such fast turnarounds as our company. I've worked at EVERY major games industry company and being here is a God send compared to those other places. Show me a game studio that rewards OT on salary like this one...you cannot...show me antoher company where the studio will do all within it's power to accomodate the needs of its personel the way this one does, you wont' find one...trust me I know. In the past two years that I have been here I have seen the quality level of the content being edveloped here at Janus expand by leaps and bounds so much so that I can clearly state we are now the number one developer for multi media training bar none. I intend to be here till the day I retire and I do not believe I would leave here even then. If you work here, and you perform to the best of your ability, I mean really give it your all you can plan on being richly rewarded and have guaranteed security for as many years as you wish to serve. We have compensation for OT even for salary employees, monthly birthday parties, fair scheduling, plentiful PTO, quaterly cook outs and an owner who takes care of this VERY large company. My first two weeks here I worked some overtime to get some serious issues with our real time stuff adressed and they gave me a bonus that rivaled my paycheck, I can tell you emphatically that no onther company has ever done that for me...not Sony, Microsft, EA, THQ, NC Soft, Ubisoft, Activision or Eidos. That in of itself should make you understand what I am saying.

Cons

Not located on a tropical beach?

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you have been, it's working!