Japan Tobacco International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Japan Tobacco International President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas A. McCoy
Thomas A. McCoy

Pros
  • Decent working environment and management (in 17 reviews)

• JTI strives to achieve a positive work-life balance, but also compensates their employees very well (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long decision making process, lack of trust (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management is extremely cautious about their own positions rather than the business (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great company to develop within"

Current Employee - Human Resources Communications Content Manager in Weybridge, England (UK)

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

JTI is definitely a great company to grow and develop within. When I first joined in 2011, I had no real idea of my career path, so a role on reception seemed like the ideal start to help me understand more about the functions within a multinational company and potential future career opportunities.

There are many secondment and assignment opportunities (domestic and international) helping you to get a better understanding of various functions and roles within them. After 2.5 years and 3 different roles, I was promoted to a management role within a global function reporting into HQ, but still based in the UK. It is interesting to work in virtual mode, but something I greatly appreciate because it means I haven’t had to relocate to a new country, although this is something that is very much possible, should you wish, and I have seen many colleagues do.

There are great options to attend training courses and conferences to help with your professional development. These can be directly related to your role, but also something that would help increase your knowledge, but not necessarily directly impact what you are doing. This approach is ideal because you feel like it is not just about what is good for the company in terms of having employees with improved skills and knowledge to aid the business, but also to aid the employee as an individual and the investment that are making in you personally.

It is also a great bonus that we are actively encouraged to participate in volunteering opportunities within the local community, all organised by the company. Not only is this an incredibly rewarding thing to do, but it is great for personal development and expanding your experiences – something I have really appreciated.

My personal feeling about the company as a whole from all I have seen and experienced over the past 5+ years is that employees really matter and you are part of one big family. And this is clearly evident by the fact that so many employees stay with the company for years! At the last few long-service awards, I have been amazed (but not surprised) at how many employees had been there for 15+ years, with some even reaching 35 years! I think that speaks for itself!

Cons

The decision-making process can be a little slow sometimes and convoluted processes can lead to some frustration, however, this is not uncommon in multinational companies.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the employees - the company consistently gets impressive results from the internal engagement surveys showing that employees are very happy working for the company, but make sure you take notice of the improvement suggestions. These are not just complaints, but a key way to make sure that employees remain as happy and stay with the company, feel they are listened to, and key to the future of the organization.

2. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, work balance, culture

Cons

Company disorganize, support personal constantly changing

Advice to Management

Get a plan

"Manager-USA"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are ver good including health/vision/dental/401K, nice company card for field sales personnel and management, some travel, and talented employees

Cons

High turnover of office and field personnel. People seem to disappear and we never know what happens to them. This is a hard for those who have been at the company for a while as they constantly start over with new managers/direction/opinions. The company is not very large so advancement opportunities do not happen often.

Poor communication from the office to field sales on so many levels. No training or development for those within the organization. It is often times a sink or swim scenario for those who actually do have opportunities for advancement.

You do get paid more if you come in from from the outside. Outsiders will advance over many who have been with the company because of no development plan for current personnel. Furthermore, current personnel are having to start over impressing new Managers/Directors making it hard for them to advance. Opinions about personnel change with the wind and seasoned workers can find themselves overlooked/frustrated/forgotten.

Advice to Management

There is a good deal of talent within the company!Choosing to constantly go to the outside to solve issues/problems is not always the answer. The best advice I can offer Management is to take some time and really put together a solid plan to advance strong performers. There are only a few that have started as Sales Reps and worked their way up. The rest have come in from the outside. This is sending a message to your employees lowering moral and snuffing talent.

Choose to place more time in with your top/consistent performers and get them on the road to success. Every company has its battles. Choosing to overlook talent should not be one of them.

Be open to more ideas and suggestions. Many times ideas/recommendations/feedback/are being put forth to Management only to be dismissed or buried for months in office policies. Not every suggestion should be an instant "no" or a battle to get implemented. It too sends a bad message to your people and they quit bringing forth ideas. We need ideas from our people to grow. When they are constantly shot down or not being heard change will not happen.

"Great Sales Force, Terrible HQ"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Field Sales Force: a great team atmosphere with friendly competition. Some opportunities for advancement for top performers. Available mentors, and solid management from my experience. Freedom to manage the business in your assignment, and working towards building an international organization in the U.S.

Cons

HQ: there are a few solid performers at the main office, but for the most part there is a complete lack of competence and accountability. Most employees at the main office would find a way to drown in half an inch of water, but good luck getting them to ever admit they made a mistake. Their terrible performance makes the job more challenging for the field sales force and adds at least an extra 10 hours of work per week to an already heavy workload to make up for their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Hit or miss depending on who your manager is. For the most part, it's people who failed at mid level management positions at major U.S. Tobacco companies in upper level management at JTI. There are some opportunities for advancement from within, but lately it's become old heads from big tobacco getting their friends jobs. They will also pay their friends from other tobacco organizations more money, roughly an additional $5-$10k per year justified as 'experience' even if that person was fired from their previous position or has a criminal record. As long as you know the hiring manager from a previous employer, you are good.

"Avoid JTI USA"

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time

Pros

Decent pay but inconsistent. Good benefits, company car.

Cons

The sales department is clueless and has to been in control of everything. Unless it is her idea, she will throw up roadblocks to ensure no one succeeds. She has ran out several talented employees and trying to run out several more. She is dishonest to customers and employees. Bonus rules always change in the middle of the period. This way they avoid paying out full bonuses. Customer payments tend to be late or shorted to save money. Avoid this company at all cost.

Advice to Management

If JTI USA wants to turn things around, they need to get rid of their Way of running the sales department. They have many talented people in the organization, but they will never succeed with her running things.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iselin, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iselin, NJ

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, casual business environment.

Cons

Too focused on presentations and the look of things vs. the reality.

Advice to Management

Focus on the things that matter. Employees, customers and consumers.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Danville, VA

I worked at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Top notch organization..

Cons

I cant think of any. The only reason I left was I moved away from that location.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Japan Tobacco International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with some great people and a company that is headed in the right direction. Typical TM job with independence & autonomy to make your own decisions.

Cons

Company has recently started making the job less enjoyable through micro managing, expense cuts, lower bonus payouts with increased responsibilities and goals. True sales growth leaders are managed and coached, not directed with no room to be an individual.

Advice to Management

The company is a great atmosphere to work in. There has been an issue with collaboration, autonomy to make decisions, communication and micro managing which is what drives true sales people and winners.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in The Eastern, OH
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in The Eastern, OH

Pros

They try to compensate well, with salary, and providing tools, that are just necessary to perform. With this said they claim to be within the top company's labeled "best places to work" . JTI (USA) is the absolute WORST position/job - I have ever held. They could not have doubled my salary to live in misery that sales position became. There is no Real black and white as far as POLICY just a HUGE grey area
    left TOTALLY up to your immediate supervisor.
    Good luck if he decides he doesnt want you there. I beleive he gets paid to literally"spy" on his team of reps. I am positive the company does actually hire out Hourly contract workers to track the work of theyre sales reps.
    Unbelievable, the effort and resources they put behind "investigating" THEIR OWN TEAM. It is the most redundant wasted allocation of budget, and actually is creating the opposite of what its created for. THEYRE LOSING CREDIBILITY- In every way that Company has lost vision.

WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER HAD TO WORK

there micro managers and mid level managers

Cons

left TOTALLY up to your immediate supervisor.

WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER HAD TO WORK

Advice to Management

DEMOTE Every DM you have- BACK INTO THE FIELD,.. selling, period. - PROMOTE YOUR TOP REP in each territory directly into management. THAT Guy will LEAD A WINNING TEAM. Sales is about relationships. Once you make that hire- Trust your man can do the job. Id totally say take the budget spent on chasing behind your sales reps to ensure theyre working, and actually hire them some help in the feild!!?? - instead of hinderances.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

Pros

Diverse work force. Opportunities to work globally.

Cons

I do not have any cons so far.