Jarvis Products Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vincent R. Volpe

"Office"

I have been working at Jarvis Products Corp. full-time

Pros

Jarvis is a stable busy manufacturing company. The employees are a diverse, hardworking creative group. Jarvis offers a pleasant work enviroment.

Cons

The office is overseen by a bully. He is sarcastic, inflexible and overbearing. His constant abuse of the staff is difficult to understand. I can honestly say most employees actively fear the Chief Operations Officer. It is very sad because everyone works very hard and deserve much better. If this person was replaced I believe Jarvis would thrive and the employees and the company would thrive. This man should not be allowed to supervise anyone. The Department of Labor would be shocked by his behavior.

Advice to Management

ATTN: PRESTON JARVIS:Remove the bully. Appreciate the employees that have worked so hard for you for so long. It is not fair to allow your staff the be treated so poorly. It's not fair to be bullied at your place of employment. It is against the law!

"What a joke"

I worked at Jarvis Products Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you money. That's about all that is positive about this company.

Cons

Feel liking working in the 70's? Then this a good place for you. The office is a throwback to then, with desks lined up and down the rows. They use outdated systems, no email, no internet. Adding these would save time and money, but the old stodgy managers think the old way is best.

If you worked somewhere fairly modern, don't even think about working here.

Advice to Management

Step into the 90's. Email and Internet are essential tools of business now. Your customers and suppliers will expect to use it. They laugh at you because you don't.

"Horrible, just horrible"

Former Employee - Finance in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Finance in Middletown, CT

I worked at Jarvis Products Corp. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really are no kind words except that you get a morning break and an afternoon break, 10 minutes each, and that there is a vending machine in the lunch area.

Cons

Hostile and toxic environment, no e-mail, no internet, no privacy, constantly under the scrutiny of the management, and completely unrealistic expectations from management that is still living in the 1950s. Computer system is cutting edge 1985 material.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, quickly. Stop beating up on your people, and the paranoia driven operating procedures. Embrace technology. A happy worker is far more productive than an unhappy one.

"Interview"

Former Employee - Director of Distribution in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Director of Distribution in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at Jarvis Products Corp. (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can see other than there are othe locations you may want to work

Cons

Strangest interview ever! Interviewed with a male in a room with 100 desks and no privacy. Told me one week vacation and I just tuned him out. Found it hilarious! I am in my industry for 25 years, really? One week vacation? I ended the interview and politely walked out.

Advice to Management

Develop a new interview process.

6. "Good company"

I have been working at Jarvis Products Corp. (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, manufacture products in America

Cons

Nothing but positive experience for me thus far.

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Jarvis Products Corp. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Jarvis is a great place to work. Pay and benefits are great. The workers are friendly and care about each other. The management is very successful.

Cons

There really are not any drawbacks to working at Jarvis. Negative reviews were written by disgruntled ex-employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing1 You have run a successful company for 100+ years with the bottom line getting better every year.

"I loved my job and did it well but managent turned me off from working there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT

Pros

Pay is good. 401K (no matching). Pension Plan. Always updating CNC machines.

Cons

Insurance is expensive. No cell phone use at all. No talking to other employees, even about work.
    Plant manager is a micro-manager. The company management as a whole dates back to the fifties. Rules and regulations are not for everyone, you have to be on a "good list" to be excluded from them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. They do their job and do it well. If they give advice on how to do it better/quicker take it into concideration. Ease up on talking/phone use. Don't exclude some employees from your rules.

"Good Pay, Horrible Environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Middletown, CT

Pros

Good pay, 401(k) and pension plan

Cons

-No communication between departments
    -Management concerned with maintaining their status and do not want lower level employees learning how to do other job duties (The CFO specifically instructed me on my first day that I was not to help anybody else with their work or learn about their job duties)
    -Employees do not have internet access because mgmt sees it as a 'security risk'
    -Work stations are outdated (CRT Monitors, main printer still uses green+white paper that you have to tear the edges off of). Walking into that building is like stepping back in time.
    -Inefficient procedures that will not change because management is not open to criticism
    -Environment is so toxic that the finance department average term of employment is 66 days (as shown by the ongoing spreadsheet that the engineering department secretly maintains as an ongoing joke).

Within the first week, half a dozen employees came to me with the advice of "Never trust anybody in the office. The CFO has spies everywhere and anything you say to anybody is likely to be relayed to him. Also, never suggest we perform procedures differently than we currently do. We all know it is inefficient, but any suggestion will be taken as a personal insult to the CFO and he will make your life miserable until you quit or he fires you."

Advice to Management

Update your technology, be more in tune with employee's needs, provide more freedoms to your employees (internet access, allow them to use cell phones responsibly). You have a world monopoly in an industry where there is really no room for additional entry into the market; stop pretending like your operations information is constantly at risk of being stolen and used against you. All that does is limit communication between departments, slows operations and procedures to a crawl, and causes employees to spend hours (sometimes weeks) on tasks which could be completed in a few minutes with access to the appropriate databases.

10. "not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Internship in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Internship in Hyderabad (India)

Pros

no chance of growth.i think it is not a good choice

Cons

worse experience,no proper guidence or intraction with freshers.

Advice to Management

they can do better