Jawbone Reviews | Glassdoor

Jawbone CEO Hosain Rahman
Hosain Rahman

"Short (intentional) Stay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone for less than a year

Pros

Conceptual company, life-style brand, hardware

Cons

Couldn't execute ideas, unstable/unpredictable management.

Jawbone2016-04-19

"Great people, great product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Jawbone are extremely talented--from engineering to design, everyone is at the top of their game. It's an environment that values results, so if you are up for it, there are plenty of opportunities to take on big responsibilities.

Cons

Jawbone is not for the faint hearted. As a company we have been through the difficulties of raising money, bringing hardware products to market, shifting from audio to fitness. You have to be a person who can deal with these challenges, meet them head-on and push forward. I personally feel like I'm better for having lived through these challenges.

Advice to Management

Your people are the most important asset of the company. Make sure you listen to them when they raise questions and try to learn from mistakes in the past.

Jawbone2016-03-28

"Hardware is hard, and Jawbone makes it harder"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really interesting space to be in with wearables taking off. Even though Jawbone has not had the same commercial success as other companies in the space it is still very innovative. There are a number of really smart, dedicated employees, and the employees are good, fun people.

Cons

Poor leadership. Almost complete lack of accountability, especially at the executive level. There is an inner circle of executives who are untouchable and completely unaccountable. The result is that quality, professional executives rotate through constantly and the clear lack of accountability sets the culture for the entire organization.

Advice to Management

Quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, is that 20 words yet? quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit, quit.

Jawbone2016-03-13

"Depends on your manager"

I have been working at Jawbone full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance is great for my team - Opportunities for growth if you're on the right team and have the right manager - Attempting to grow the culture through professional or diversity programs and events - Lunch everyday

Cons

- Slow and indecisiveness with exec team which leads to delays - Too much of the decision making in too small of a group of people - Too many ineffective meetings - Last minute changes all the time to scope or plans

Advice to Management

- Decision making shouldn't only sit with the management team - Promotions are essential to keeping people - Employees can tell when something is going on - we're a small company, you need to be more transparent even if its not good news

Jawbone2016-02-19

"Great company to work for when I was there"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive environment. Smart and talented colleagues. Great in-office benefits.

Cons

Company does not do 401k matching. No budget for formal training.

Advice to Management

Be more open to input from employees on design/marketing decisions.

Jawbone2016-02-22

"Awesome mission, wonderful company"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Jawbone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having worked at large tech companies in the past, it's been a challenging but rewarding experience working at Jawbone. The problems we're trying to solve for are big problems, but they have the power to truly improve and lengthen lives. Jawbone pays above industry standard for their workers, and I've received only freedom, kindness, challenging work, and work life balance from the team. It's nice to finally, after many...

Cons

Jawbone has been through challenges, but I think we're stronger for them. The biggest cons are that resources are scarce, and our ideas are bigger than us.

Jawbone2016-02-18

"It's an exciting time to work at Jawbone!"

I have been working at Jawbone

Pros

This company is filled with smart people, game changing products and learning opportunities everywhere you look. Free lunch, fun happy hours, dog friendly!

Cons

There's always room for improvement with our culture. Creating more opportunities to interact with each and every team will help improve genuine camaraderie across the company.

Advice to Management

Continue having open communication and transparency with employees. Monthly All Hands meetings are a great way to stay in tune with both successes and challenges.

Jawbone2016-02-11

"Unable to execute"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time for more than a year

Pros

I wish there was more, but the only upside was the people I worked with and the audio products were top notch

Cons

There were lots of smart people working at Jawbone, but for what ever reason, we were unable to execute when it really mattered. Two major design flaws crushed a timely product release. Lastly, we had terrible marketing strategy as we tried to target non-tech users. Just hearing the loss of the President will also hurt as he was the only one seemingly able to make the difficult decisions.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you are so clever in your design and marketing.

Jawbone2016-01-26

"A few individuals ruining a company full of potential"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the most talented engineers, product managers, and data scientists in the world work at Jawbone. The personal and professional network you build as a member of one of these "A" teams is incomparable.

Cons

Product Management leadership is out of touch with reality. PMs are forced to make deceptive presentations with inflated numbers, inaccurate data, and irrational assumptions in order to mask huge miscalculations made by product leadership. A general sense of entitlement and arrogance amongst the executive staff

Advice to Management

Management is the problem. There are 2-3 people running Jawbone, and they are driving the company into the ground. My advice to the BOARD is to think about what it means to have so many presidents and VPs leave a company, and not take the 3 people running the company's explanations at face value.

Jawbone2016-01-26

"HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources/Staffing Professional in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Jawbone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Well, ok - the employees are pretty cool, less executive management.

Cons

Feeble attempts by HR and/or executive management to write fictitious positive Glassdoor reviews to spike employee and candidate confidence. Please stop the nonsense.

Advice to Management

Mutually separate and allow actual, REAL executives control the vision, strategy and execution of your floundering business.

Jawbone2016-02-18

Jawbone Response

February 26, 2016Recruiter

At Jawbone, we believe in open feedback. We encourage all of our employees to write openly and candidly about their experience at Jawbone (both positive and negative). In addition to our monthly all hands, we have a weekly company wide meeting that our CEO and many members of our ...

Found 110 reviews