Jeff Zell Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 29, 2017

3.8
Jeff Zell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Set the matter straight"

Current Employee - Field Technician/Inspector in Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Field Technician/Inspector in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at Jeff Zell Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good bosses, decent benefits, relaxed atmosphere. Year round employment. Company pays for certs and training. Excellent co-workers. Family orientated.

Cons

Communication from upper management can be lax. No incentive for senior employees or extra education. During off peak season it can get very slow, but management tries to keep you working. Aged and dated fleet. Direct deposit not used anymore, and pays can be a day or two late. I assume it's the price to pay for keeping employees working in the off season. No raises or bonuses.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Silence is the worse thing for morale.

"Incredible Company, Great Values, Compassionate CEO and President, and Overall A Great Opportunity with Room for Growth"

Current Employee - Full Time Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Full Time Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Jeff Zell Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where to begin? I've been at the company for over three years. Jeff is an incredible leader and driving force in the engineering field all throughout Western Pennsylvania. He is bright and cares about the future of his employees, which is why the company continues to be and has been in business for decades. The work environment is easygoing and comfortable, and I find the majority of my co-workers supporting one another both on and off the field.

More importantly, JZC is widely recognized as a technological pioneer in the fields of architecture, civil, structural, environmental, etc. engineering, so if you work for this company, other engineers and contractors throughout Pennsylvania tend to hold you to a higher regard.

The benefits are good, as well as the pay and the hours. Free parking in the beautiful strip district is a plus! I will say, since working at Jeff Zell Consultants, I have received multiple job offers, some even with higher pay. I refuse to leave.

Cons

Overall, my experience at JZC has been great and positive. With that said, Jeff and management have a zero tolerance policy for carelessness and laziness, so if you are that, this is not the job for you. Jeff can be a very meticulous guy -- but the guy knows what he is doing and should be trusted. I have seen slacking employees be let go, but that's with any logical and well respected company with a reputation to uphold. Competition is fierce, and most of the work is government regulated (zero tolerance for recreational drugs!)

Advice to Management

None. Any "small" business that's been around for over 20 years is good in my book and I wouldn't exactly feel qualified to give advice.

Oct 17, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for the review! We are excited that you enjoy working here! If there is something that can be improved, please let us know.

"Trying to be a great company"

Current Employee - Field Tech in Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Field Tech in Coraopolis, PA

I have been working at Jeff Zell Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Works with employees schedules, will pay for certifications, supplies work truck, supplies equipment and tools, provides site specific safety training, will reimburse you for some safety equipment such as gloves. There are some serious people trying to help you learn. Middle management very active with field people. Senior techs go out of their way to help you. They try to keep employees working in slow periods.

Cons

Compensation can get stagnant..where you are hired, you are pretty much staying at that job. Ownership seems oblivious to field people. Management should be more focused on training people in slow periods. No advancement in perks such as PTO or vacation. People with ten years or one year will get same vacation and PTO time. Lazy employees always seem to get the easy jobs.

Advice to Management

Be more open about raises and promotions. Is Jeff a real person? Never once saw him at the Coraopolis location. Need incentives for senior employees.

Oct 17, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your comments. We will be working on restructuring the benefits such as vacation in the coming year. We are sorry to hear about the "Lazy" employees, we certainly don't want that type... More

"Not good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coraopolis, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coraopolis, PA

Pros

Access to company vehicle when available for project inspections. Most projects are with in a 15 mile radius of home.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement or pay raises. You will be assigned to a project to provide quality assurance inspection for construction contractors. If you are with out any experience, well then your pretty much on your own.

Advice to Management

Respect seasoned employees. Get rid of the "good ole boy" networks and clicks ( though I see that as futile considering the area of this country). Promote from within instead of hiring dead beats from your competition.

Oct 17, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

I realize this was a while ago, but we are sorry that your experience was not a good one. We have taken efforts, since 2010 that may have helped these issues. We encourage and pay for training for... More

"Got my career started, but did not care about making me a valuable employee"

Pros

Received a few opportunities that i am grateful for and gained relevant and precious experience

Cons

Management did not consider any of my suggestions for furthering my education to become a more valuable employee.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like family

Oct 17, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Please see the above comment from 2010. We are happy that you gained experience that you think is worth while. We do pay for many certifications and training, like ACI, NECEPT, NICET and others. If... More