Jefferson College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Love it"

Former Employee - Switchboard Operator/Office Assistant in Greenbrier, AR
    Former Employee - Switchboard Operator/Office Assistant in Greenbrier, AR

I worked at Jefferson College (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Jeffco as a student worker or a part time employee. I would highly suggest this company to anyone!

Cons

There are absolutely no cons to this company!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job. The fact there is little turn over and you help people to go up in the company is fabulous! Thanks for everything!

2. "Jefferson College"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in De Soto, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in De Soto, MO

I have been working at Jefferson College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medium workplace
    Great people that love students
    Low Cost Tuition
    Free Tuition for employees and their immediate family

Cons

Don't have anything to say

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, MO

I worked at Jefferson College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The college was a great place to work. The employees are, for the most part, dedicated and serious about making it a better place. They are also very friendly. Some of the instructors are typically arrogant and snobbish, but many are really very nice. State retirement plan is a good one.

Cons

Older school so there is a lot of upgrading needed. Capital funds are there for the work to be done, but there is a lot to do. BOT's is a connected local group of "good old boys" so while outsiders are hired, it can sometimes be difficult to get things done. Also, health insurance could use an upgrade.

Advice to Management

Continue to make improvements as best you can with a sometimes difficult board.

5. "Off Campus Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, MO

I worked at Jefferson College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers, people. Team effort. Everyone helps one another. I had amazing supervisors.
    Benefits are great, paid schooling for employees and their children.

Cons

Room for advancement. I worked there many years. Once you are in a full-time position, your locked in. Being a single parent I had to work a part time job to make ends meet. Retirement plan outdated.

6. "Secretary"

Pros

Easy flexibility with vacation, sick days, and personal days. Summer hours are awesome and two weeks off for winter break.

Cons

No advancement. Poor communication.

7. "Great retirement plan, great bunch of people"

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

Pros

Long time employee, retired there. Retirement system is defined benefit plan which doesn't exist in the real world anymore. System is run independently and doesn't depend on contributions by the State that may never be made - see Ill for the disastrous side of that issue.

Great place to work. The people are great. I worked in the Staff side of things and enjoyed very much helping people in any way that I could and in turn always felt that my efforts were appreciated. I was given a lot of autonomy and trusted to do my job without somebody breathing down my neck which makes for a nice working environment. I had good bosses and if I need to run over to the License Bureau or something during the day, they'd cut me some slack.

Unless you're upper management, secure employment. If you are upper management, you're on shakier ground. Many an upper management person has 'quit' or 'retired' with a big foot print in the middle of their back - more so in the past than now.

Cons

Massive administrative bloat over the years. I don't think this is unique to Jefferson College (maybe it's all mandates by the State & Fed, I don't know) Every square foot has been turned into offices to house more and more staff. Classrooms have been converted to offices, hallways have been converted to offices, the student lounge has been turned into offices, ...

The administration has evolved over the years from local people with roots in Jefferson County to people coming in from all points of the compass that don't know squat about the community. I suppose this is inevitable but it has changed the character of the place in ways that I do not think are beneficial.

There is too much dependence on adjunct professors and tenured professors are getting as scarce as hen's teeth. Again, this is a national trend but I think it is harming the main purpose of providing education to the students. I've talked to many of the adjuncts who spend half the day driving from place to place just to try to cobble together enough gigs to make a living. Sad.

8. "Fieldhouse worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, MO

I worked at Jefferson College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, you work with others, had clear directions on what to do, and was simply a good experience overall.

Cons

None that I can think of.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor

Pros

People were very nice to work with, staff was very helpful.

Cons

Some students were not conscientious, but overall it was a great experience.

10. "Review of Jefferson College"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Hillsboro, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Hillsboro, MO

I worked at Jefferson College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great place for the students.

Cons

More full time professors needed. Too many adjunct instructors for the amount of full time Instructors. Without full time instructors there is no one to take ownership of the long term goals of the programs.

Advice to Management

The value of Tenured Professors is very valuable.

11. "Jefferson College is a very student oriented, team focused institution willing to embrace innovation and technology."

Current Employee - Specialist in Hillsboro, MO
    Current Employee - Specialist in Hillsboro, MO

I have been working at Jefferson College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the environment is student focused, the collaboration of staff and faculty work towards best practices to ensure support and progression for all.

Cons

As positive as the experience has been, there continues a heirarchy that many perceive as a barrier.

Advice to Management

Leading by example is key, providing a team culture, encouraging employee professional development of skill sets will continue to provide for a sustained workforce.