Jefferson County (Alabama) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Affirmtive Action"

Pros

Enjoy working in County Government, hard workers.

Cons

Don't currently have any at this time

2. "Old school system"

I have been working at Jefferson County (Alabama) full-time

Pros

If you can manage your way through the job maze, it's basically a job for life since there is very little they can terminate an employee for. Good benefits and great pension system once vested (10 years).

Cons

Byzantine HR system makes attracting good employees near impossible.

Advice to Management

Build a strategic plan for moving systems into the 21st century.

3. "Auditor"

Pros

Good benefits, including pension plan.

Cons

Lots of people that are resistant to change.

4. "The Bruce Jenner of County Commissions, has yet to figure itself out"

Former Employee - EEO Personnel Analyst
    Former Employee - EEO Personnel Analyst

I worked at Jefferson County (Alabama) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My pay was excellent, benefits are quality. that's about it.

Cons

I went in thinking that so long as I did my job by the book, that I would be okay. In one position, I was tasked with performing internal investigations on personnel who could easily see me fired as I was still a probationary employee. Case in point, After performing a dozen or so investigations, I pick the next investigation off the stack, wherein a departmental supervisor "with 34 years experience" (if that person mentioned that fact once more, i probably would've vomited) was accused of violating federal statutes and codified county policy. The investigation was extensive, and facts showed that she had in fact violated policy. My supervisor told me that she (my supervisor) was afraid to make the accused party her "enemy", and she didn't "want to step on toes" because she was "new and needed to lookout for [herself] too." I suggested that such a state of mind hurt our office's credibility.Within 24 hours after making that suggestion, I found myself terminated. MY boss's boss signed off on my termination. He was appointed by a federal judge and recently found himself fired by that same judge for improper actions.

Oh, beyond my personal gripe, the county's seniority policies are ridiculous. If you work there for 20 years, and you seek a promotion, and get it, that new title resets your seniority. So if a lay off occurs, the person hired two weeks ago has more seniority than you, and you would get laid off before them (depending on the subject matter of the layoff). Clear as day in the policy books, but nobody seeking promotions pays attention to it. be careful in that regard.

Advice to Management

I initially thought that private practice was more political, and with public sector employment, as we were servants to the community, procedure was all that mattered. I believe the correct understanding is indeed the opposite. In private practice, your boss can hate you, but if you're making them money, they have incentive to keep you on. Nobody is really using public sector employment to make it big financially, and if they are they're probably breaking the law in some form or fashion. So as most supervisors are political appointments, and they lack incentive to work with someone who disagrees (even if that someone was basing his disagreement off of the same policies that they both agreed to), procedure and protocol lose their seat to politics every day. That's not advice to management, they knew that already. I'm the one playing catch up.

5. "Coworkers are great to work around."

Pros

The benefits package and retirement are unmatched

Cons

Most of the time pay is low.

6. "this was a great way to learn"

Pros

Excellent pay for the work you put i

Cons

no cons what so ever

7. "Prime example of bad at the top"

Current Employee - Network Systems Administrator in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Network Systems Administrator in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Jefferson County (Alabama) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, great people, interaction with the public, some skilled departmental management, some skilled employees who take great pride in their jobs, great retirement options

Cons

Old leaders who haven't caught up with the times, leadership constantly bicker about all decisions even on public forums and to media. Pay scale based on 10 year old standards and have not been adjusted.

Advice to Management

Quit and let people who knows how to run an organization/government entity take over.

8. "A perfect storm of corruption, mismanagement and incompetence."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Most employees are hard working and want to do a good job. Decent benefits. Good retirement if you can survive the political swamp

Cons

Arrogant and incompetent leadership whose decisions are politically motivated. The sky is falling here. Run quickly and don't look back.

Advice to Management

Make serving citizens the top priority rather than pleasing special interest groups who contribute to your re-election campaigns. Oh yeah, and communicate with employees so that they don't have to learn about decisions you have made that will affect their livelihood by reading about them in the newspaper

9. "Troubled County Government"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Competitve salary, decent benefits package (retirement, various insurances, etc.). Tuition reimbursement program (may or may not still exist) Strong employees' association

Cons

Jefferson County (as a governmental entity AND as an employer) is currently experiencing massive financial problems. Most of the those problems are the result of questionable leadership installed in a fundamentally flawed system. Unlike most municipal governments wherein there is some separation of duties and authority between the legislative and executive branches, the Jefferson County Commission serves BOTH functions. Consequently, both the citizens AND the employees of Jefferson County bear the brunt of the problems that arise from this odd arrangement. The policies and decisions made by current and former commissioners with various weakness (greed, incompetence, insularity, pettiness, etc.) have driven the County to the brink of bankruptcy and dealt a severe blow to employee morale.

Advice to Management

Adopt a manager-commission form of government. We need a competent professional administrative executive to run the county, period. In the name of efficiency, accountability, and countless other benefits, the structure of the county government must be overhauled.