Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) School Bus Driver Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for School Bus Driver

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) School Bus Driver Reviews

Updated Nov 9, 2017

3.4
Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) Acting Superintendent Marty Pollio (no image)
Marty Pollio
0 Rating
  1. "Loved driving the bus!!! But...."

Current Contractor - School Bus Driver in Wilhoit, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) for less than a year

Pros

Loved driving the bus! Paid Training, Co-Workers at the Bus compound locations are really nice, outgoing and friendly people. The coordinators (Supervisors) were really good at their job and really good to their employees. Respect and Support from each other and a understanding of stressful situations that occur on the bus.

Cons

The only issues I would have were from the High-School students. Lots of disrespect and name calling . Getting in your face and more than half the time couldn't do a thing about it. Also dealt with a student who came in my driving area and grabbed at the console. All while a fight was going on and I was safely trying to pull over. Student was only suspended 3 days. I feel there should be harsher punishment than this. The Schools are to blame for that. I finally felt it wasn't worth the risk of spending Life in Prison due to a child's mistake and misbehavior.

Advice to Management

Get better cooperation from the schools, need harsher discipline for students. Students shouldn't be allowed to ride period if they can't respect the operator, or the privilege of transportation. Many times so much is over looked if you were to be stricter on the privilege aspect. Make the student's follow the rules or no ride!!!!!!! Especially when it comes to safety and life-threatening situations.

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)2017-11-09

"SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (7 years)"

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Louisville, KY

I worked at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Summers off. Fellow drivers are nice. Benefits use to be good. Not any more. Thanks to Obama Care. Insurance plans are terrible. High deductibles.

Cons

I was a JCPS bus driver for 7 years. When you are in training, they fail to explain that your checks will be escrowed . Which pays you for the summer. Only problem is they take approximately 1/3 of your biweekly check. So instead of the $16.80, you are getting paid closer to $11.00. Then there is the $20.00 every paycheck for union dues. ( Which goes up as your pay does.) After training, you are assigned to a compound. Then being the new driver, you will most likely be put on one of the many bad downtown routes. Since you will be trained on an empty bus without any students, once assigned to compound, you will be thrown to the wolves. You will be told to write referrals on the students that misbehave. Only to have nothing done about them. More often than not, the driver is blamed more than the student. If too many referrals are written, then you are sent to student management classes. Which punishes the driver for doing their job. This wouldn't be a bad job if dramatic changes are made. Such as the students that act out ,be held accountable for their bad behavior. But this is NOT the Case with JCPS. When a parent of a student that has been suspended calls in. JCPS caves in and let's the student back on the bus. So the bad behavior is rewarded. Which makes the driver look powerless. Under the current conditions at JCPS, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone . over the last 2 years, JCPS has been losing drivers and teachers in record numbers. As the students are not held accountable and JCPS does not back up their drivers. You will be entering a very stressful and contentious atmosphere. Since there is such a shortage of drivers, you will be made to do extra routes besides yours at a moments notice. You will be at times ,talked to disrespectfully by office staff and shown very little gratitude. I would only recommend that you go to JCPS to get your CDL license and leave. You do get paid for training that is not subject to escrow. Which kicks in when you get assigned to a compound. The training is 3 weeks. So the pay will be nice for 3 weeks at least. So if you decide to stay after training, don't say I didn't warn you!!

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)2016-04-04
  3. "Its ok, but not much room for growth with in company"

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of on the job training

Cons

Once a driver always a driver

Advice to Management

none

Jefferson County Public Schools (Kentucky)2014-07-24