Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cindy Stevenson
  1. "Education Assistant"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with students in the most rewarding thing about working at Jefferson County Schools. One-on-one interaction, aiding in their education, and watching them grow, both intellectually but as individuals is the best and most rewarding aspect of working for Jeffco Schools. The school district as a whole is a very positive environment

Cons

Unfortunately, being an Education Assistant, the hours in public education and the wages are limited. People tend to think that teachers and EA's chose to do this job because they "can't do something else," or they just want the summers off. Most educators actually end up working well over their "scheduled time," and invest their own money to make sure that students have what they need to be successful.

Advice to Management

Try to increase wages of the teachers and education assistants who are actually working with the students rather than the upper levels of the district administration.

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2017-09-21
  2. "Overworked and underpaid, but amazing people."

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Genuinely felt like some of the people I worked with truly appreciated my work and enjoyed having me around

Cons

Always felt like more and more kept getting thrown on my plate, and that I had to fight constantly to justify my job

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-10-20
  3. "Full time arts educator at JeffCO"

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time

Pros

The colleagues you have are amazing and are incredibly close. If you need anything they are open to meet, give advice, even observe you. Great people in the district, and it is so big you can find a lot of people to connect with. Fairly good salary for starting teachers- relatively.

Cons

The recent switch from 7-8 middle school to 6-8 was very messy and unorganized. We didn't have much information until very late in the game. Additionally the district can be so big that there are conflicting interests- smaller schools with tougher demographics don't have the same needs that large schools in nice areas do.

Advice to Management

Upfront and transparent communication regarding district wide changes. Don't make promises you can't keep.

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-09-20
  4. "Pretty good"

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and a fairly strong union ensure that the school board doesn't ruin everything.

Cons

The school you work at will determine how much you like your job. The district is too big and too bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Hire the best principals you can

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-07-31
    • "Disappointed in teaching"

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great kids, good hours, close to home

Cons

They don't have a specific curriculum, requires too much overtime

Advice to Management

Don't keep restructuring. In other words, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-08-13
    • "Teaching is Passiom"

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time

Pros

The people and coworkers you’ll encounter are top notch. So supportive and motivated by “what’s best for kids.”

Cons

Benefits and pay are horrible. Too much work for not enough pay. The stress that state testing has on ones day to day work is overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Look past test scores. Look at the children. How are the children doing. Whole child!

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-07-09
    • "Horrible Management"

Pros

Good work/life balance Good job security

Cons

High turnover in my department Pay is pretty low based on the industry No incentive to work hard - those who are lazy get the same yearly raises as those who make an extra effort. As with most government jobs, it's all about who your friends are. People are hired and promoted with ZERO relevant experience just because they are friends or previous co-workers with the directors. Those who would be a great fit are...

Advice to Management

Run the department like an actual business. Promote those who go above and beyond. Discipline those who are lazy and/or not pulling their weight.

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-06-20
    • "Substitute Teacher"

I have been working at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)

Pros

There is a great amount of flexibility, variety and never a dull moment with kids of all ages.

Cons

lack of respect by students

Advice to Management

pay more

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2018-06-18
    • "Varies from School to School"

I worked at Jefferson County Schools (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Based on the school you work in, the resources can vary. The school were I was located had great culture and energy.

Cons

It's a very large district and with that there can be limited resources and communication can be tricky.

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2017-12-05
    • "Moving forward"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Littleton, CO

Pros

Definitely progress being made in the district as outside and private money is kept from the district and changes. Kid-focused, working to incorporate national standards and make prepared graduates

Cons

Underpaid in comparison with districts nearby. LPS pays $1200/year more; Cherry Creek pays $5k/year more for the same education and experience. Sub pay is abyssmal.

Advice to Management

Figure out budgeting so that you can pay your teachers somewhere between LPS and Cherry Creek. You'll attract more hires and retain those who have been here.

Jefferson County Schools (Colorado)2017-11-08