Jeffrey Charles NYC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Naisha Bonet

1. "Great place to work for"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and people with family type bonding

Cons

Long hours and not enough comp time

Advice to Management

Nothing

2. "False advertisement of employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is energetic and motivational

Cons

Coming in early in the morning (2 hrs prior) for no apparent reason before you begin your day. Then you head out for a miserable day of door to door sales with no salary and a commission check that is pitiful. Then you have to go back to the office at the end of your work day to "review" the day with your team leader and supervisor.

Advice to Management

Do not advertise the job as something that it isn't and do not advertise salary along with commission which is not the pay structure.

"Learned some great skills from some terrible people."

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned impulse sales, felt personally recognized and appreciated. Developed a go-getter attitude. Met some awful people who lied about our pay.

Cons

The hours. 7:30am to 9pm or later on "team nights" was just too much. Never received a single check from them, was denied a promotion after being 3 minutes late for work from train delays, and forced to spend my own money on lunches and metro cards that were never reimbursed. There is no base pay, no sick days, and no benefits, and no employee support. This clearly was a short term job, when the oldest employee was only a few months old that told me everything.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping your employees around so you can finally promote someone. Pay your employees when you say you're going to. Follow through on your word.

""account executive""

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other people. Straight up, the people who succeed at this business are the happiest ones around. While I was there, being around them was great and really improved my day. I very much enjoyed people around me.

Cons

The pay. I mean, oh my God. People: this is a door to door sales job. Which is hard. And tiring. And sometimes aggravating. And all you want at the end of the week is a paycheck. This does not happen. You get commision of the sales you made. Oh yeah, there's a base salary, but that's literally assuming that you do 4 or 5 sales, with which you would have made the same amount of money on the commision. So that's just not even real. The fact that they say there's a base salary really aggravated me. Every time I had to tell it to someone new I felt like I was lying. Its such garbage. If you got paid on every order you did then yeah, you might be able to make some money. But since we are actually a third party to the client we are doing sales for, pushing them through and not having them get cancelled for some absurd reason is shockingly hard. So you'll do 5 or 6 sales and end up getting paid for 2 or 3 of them and ending up with half the money you expected or less. And unfortunately the owner has taken to not bothering to deal with any of the messed up orders regardless of how hard you worked to get it done. So you could spend 4 or more hours with one customer and end up with zero for that time investment despite that all the work you did was on point. So even though there is no paycheck, and you only get paid for your work; you DONT end up getting paid for your work like half the time. So on your interview, you poor recent college grad, when they tell you there is a base salary, remember that you can absolutely can, and most likely will at some point, end up with a zero dollar check. Even if you did sales. Also, on your interview, if you do decide you want the job, it's yours. They would hire a dead animal at this point. But if you have bills to pay, find something else. Its too hard to get paid on the sales until they improve this campaign.

Advice to Management

In order to promote people, which apparently is the entire point of the business, you need to keep them around. Which you have not been able to do as of yet, which is why you have promoted no one this year. Please don't lie to new recruits, or tell people to lie to the recruits about the base salary. Dont lead them to believe that they can actually rely on a check when they certainly cannot. The base salary has such major stipulations that it is effectively non existent. I understand why there cannot be a base without guidelines; cause then no one would work, but just make sure that people know what they're getting into, and dont think they'll always be getting paid, cause we both know the truth. Also, remember to continue valuing the people you have, and not forgetting them amidst the wave of new people who won't last a week.

6. "Not half Bad I must say!"

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time

Pros

Jeffrey Charles has a great work atmosphere. So if you're not looking for the typical "cubical" work environment it's a great place to be. Really wanted to get some experience right out of college and "pump up" my resume. Met some great people, gained valuable skills, and made a great network of business owners.

Cons

Unfortunately you can't be lazy haha. It is a performance based position meaning no BS days it hurts you more than anyone if you have bad work ethic with this company. The harder you work the more you get paid. If you're a lazy bum this isn't the position for you. If you're an entrepreneur, Congrats. this position would be great for you.

Advice to Management

None! The owners that were there upon my leaving were pretty cool, down to earth human beings.

"It was a constant Soap Opera"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC (More than a year)

Pros

If you aim to have a career in sales in the long run this experience is valuable. It teaches you impulse sales, it teaches you the go getter mentality. The field is actually the best part of the day. Talking to different people whether they work I a multi-million dollar industry or doormen in a building in midtown. It's definitely great experience

Cons

Everything is a con here:
    1) The Boss lady lets refer to her as 'The Bully' dates her employees
    2) The other employees get pictures of this guy with the bully
    3) When confronted she plays the victim card
    4) she goes missing for 3-4 days, reason: she is stuck in traffic
    5) the people running the meeting in her absence don't speak English

Let's talk about money for a second:
    6) it's straight commission if you want a base salary you still have to do 4 sales
    7) No paid vacations, no health benefits ever
    8) your check can be $0
    9) you have to constantly be on her case once you get your paycheck why were you not paid on a certain sale/ sales even though you had done everything on your part. Which results into nothing because she doesn't do anything about it
    10) Nobody gets the opportunity like seriously it's non existent for people who play fair, if you want to make it you have to learn to play dirty politics.

Advice to Management

Stop dating your employees and if you are going to date them, make sure your other employees don't get pictures related to that. Don't lie to people when those pictures are sent to everyone in your office. Don't miss days and days of work and expect your employees to show up at 7:30 am and wait downstairs while a person who was promoted 2 days ago runs meetings downstairs.

"Account manager"

Former Employee - Former in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Former in New York, NY

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can smile and makes sales you can move up rapidly

Cons

It's 100 percent commission, it's misleading, no work and life balance, sales are hard and no compensation

Advice to Management

Even entry level should get at least minimum wage base compensation or at least free metro cards

9. "Former Employee Thoughts"

Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed and appreciated the company culture. Not just the culture but the people themselves I really enjoyed being around.
    The growth possibilities are excellent, I really appreciated the companies desire to see the employees grow and thrive in the company, I was a name, not a number - I felt valued, appreciated and was given a chance to really excel.

Cons

Time on my feet took some time to get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

10. "Lead Account Executive"

Current Employee - Lead Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Jeffrey Charles NYC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn so much in such a short period of time. Every step that is needed in order to run a successful organization is taught hands on. From hiring the right candidates for the job to training and coaching people to get to the next level. The people you work with are great!

Cons

work a lot of hours.

"door to door sales"

Former Employee - Lead Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

flexible schedule, with a possibility to make money through commission sales

Cons

no base salary, door to door sales, no transportation compensation

Advice to Management

add a minimum wage salary